Page 5 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Speed up ubuntu boot process - the way you can feel it.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

Re: HowTo: Speed up ubuntu boot process - the way you can feel it.

I think i configured too much.
    Now it boots into a blank screen, both with the normal and recovery mode. Everything seems to go well then suddenly the three lights on my keyboard blink and and the harddisk goes dead.

Where exactly are the settings configured by sysv-rc-conf stored. I'll use a livecd to restore things.

Thanks for the nice tut by the way

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake

Quote Originally Posted by grizzly
    I think i configured too much.
    Now it boots into a blank screen, both with the normal and recovery mode. Everything seems to go well then suddenly the three lights on my keyboard blink and and the harddisk goes dead.

Where exactly are the settings configured by sysv-rc-conf stored. I'll use a livecd to restore things.

Thanks for the nice tut by the way
    hmm... that's weird. Make sure you didn't touch the halt and reboot services. There are some services you shouldn't touch even just change the runlevels. All the boot up scripts are at /etc/init.d dir and they are also linked to /etc/rcx.d dir according to the sysv-rc-conf settings. If a certain service turned on at a certain runlevel, then you will see a Sxxname link, otherwise, you will see a Kxxname link.
    Linux user #392733
    -------------------------------------
    You want to know what a computer really is, try Linux!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

Oh i think its some other problem since i couldn't mount ext3( bad superblock). I guess that wouldn't happen due to services.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I don't see you cron daemon there, its bad to turn that off. I don't see any of your log daemons on, such as bootlogd, sysklogd, etc. If you don't have lvm and raid at all, no need to leave lvm and mdadm/mdadm-raid on. I don't see udev/udev-mtab on, that's not good. I don't see vbesave on. Please look carefully and make sure.
    I didn't list the other you mentioned because I didn't touch/change the values. But they are lised and working (I think). The values I did change I listed above.

Edit: Maybe images will help?

Last edited by domino; November 17th, 2005 at 04:39 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by i3dmaster
    Ok, sounds like you enabled halt on all runlevels. The halt service can only be enabled at runlevel 0 which is to shutdown the computer. You can use Live CD to change it back but let's try to boot to single mode first. When you see the grub menu, hit "e" to edit the default boot line. After you hit "e", you will see the detail boot options. Go to the kernel line and hit "e" again, then you can edit the kernel options, at the end of the line, input "single", then "enter", after that hit "b" to boot. If you can boot to the single mode, then try to run sysv-rc-conf again to change the halt to only start at runlevel "0". Let me know if this works or not.
    Sorry for not answering before but I was travelling I just make it home.

I figure out that that's was the problem and the fact that english is not my mother tongue so, words don't jump at me telling me IDIOT DON't DO IT

I tried what you suggested but to no avail. There is something else I could do to fix it?

Thanks

We know Major Tom's a junkie ...

Beans

Hi, guys thanks for the support, I manage to boot by renaming the halt file in the run level s.

We know Major Tom's a junkie ...

Beans

2. ok, open your eyes and look very carefully for those SERVICES DO NOT HAVE "X" ON ALL RUNLEVELS (All runlevel means 1,2,3,4,5,6, and S), write them down one by one. Don't make mistakes here. Double check after you've done.
    I'm confused about this part. It seems there is a small redaction mistake there. What do you mean: that I should write down all the services that has X in some runlevels, or those who have no X at all?

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake

Quote Originally Posted by crispingatiesa
    Hi, guys thanks for the support, I manage to boot by renaming the halt file in the run level s.
    Great! You solved it by yourself. See, you just learned something.
    Linux user #392733

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake

Quote Originally Posted by jrincon87
    I'm confused about this part. It seems there is a small redaction mistake there. What do you mean: that I should write down all the services that has X in some runlevels, or those who have no X at all?

Thanks.
    You write down for services that has NO "X" at all runlevels. (NO "X" all all)
    Linux user #392733

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake

Quote Originally Posted by domino
    I didn't list the other you mentioned because I didn't touch/change the values. But they are lised and working (I think). The values I did change I listed above.

Edit: Maybe images will help?

After you looked at you screen, I am getting confused. I am wondering if you are trying to configure a server or what? Can you tell me what you have some many server daemons turned on? Do you need to dial up to network? ... I am going to send you my laptop boot up process configuration. Ok, remember, its for laptop.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (167.2 KB, 211 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (168.4 KB, 124 views)
    Linux user #392733

Page 5 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast