Page 32 of 44 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Speed up ubuntu boot process - the way you can feel it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: HowTo: Speed up ubuntu boot process - the way you can feel it.

I have three questions: 1) I have a bunch of duplicate processes, except that one of the duplicates ends with a '$'. Is it safe to delete processes that end in a '$'? 2) I have one process, 'nvidia-ke$'. I don't believe I have any nvidia hardware, so does that mean that it would be safe to delete that process? Or is there some other reason that it's running? 3) I don't have a file called /etc/inittab . I assume that this is because I'm using Feisty, and the file has since changed names. If this is the case, is there still a file in Feisty where I can disable tty4, 5, and 6?

Thank's for the great guide!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Yes View Post
    I have three questions: 1) I have a bunch of duplicate processes, except that one of the duplicates ends with a '$'. Is it safe to delete processes that end in a '$'? 2) I have one process, 'nvidia-ke$'. I don't believe I have any nvidia hardware, so does that mean that it would be safe to delete that process? Or is there some other reason that it's running? 3) I don't have a file called /etc/inittab . I assume that this is because I'm using Feisty, and the file has since changed names. If this is the case, is there still a file in Feisty where I can disable tty4, 5, and 6?

Thank's for the great guide!
    hi,

for 1)
    the "repetead" ended '$' are just contractions of names that sysv-rc.conf do on long ones.
    Be careful they are not repeated processes, but diferent ones.
    As an example powernowd and powernowd$ are not the same thing. The second is powernowd.early, a name too long.
    You can see the processes of each level by run (here for level 2):
    Code:
    ls /etc/rc2.d/
    2) Never understamd that nvidia entry. It's not even useful for nvidia users (driver is loaded by xorg,conf), so even as a mvidia user i always turn that off.

3) The instructions no longer apply for feisty. Try my suggestion here. You may want to read the full thread for others comments and alternatives.
    Last edited by Rui Pais; August 31st, 2007 at 01:58 PM. Reason: corrected links

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Rui Pais View Post
    hi,

for 1)
    the "repetead" ended '$' are just contractions of names that sysv-rc.conf do on long ones.
    Be careful they are not repeated processes, but diferent ones.
    As an example powernowd and powernowd$ are not the same thing. The second is powernowd.early, a name too long.
    You can see the processes of each level by run (here for level 2):
    Code:
    ls /etc/rc2.d/
    2) Never understamd that nvidia entry. It's not even useful for nvidia users (driver is loaded by xorg,conf), so even as a mvidia user i always turn that off.

3) The instructions no longer apply for feisty. Try my suggestion here. You may want to read the full thread for others comments and alternatives.
    your link merely talks about a getty, are you saying that I can just move any process to a different folder and it won't run? ALso, whne you tried to link to the full thread, it's not the full thread, it's the same little 1 post thread. I am interested in this because I run feisty on an ancient laptop, and I am looking to get rid of ton's of stuff I don't need running which is slowing it down almost intolerable. Please help.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy79 View Post
    your link merely talks about a getty, are you saying that I can just move any process to a different folder and it won't run?
    hi,
    my suggestion was in sequence of Yes question, to prevent ttys from start. But yes, sysv-rc-conf it's just an frontend to do exactly that.
    All boot "process" are just links under /etc/rc<N>.d/ to files under /etc/init.d/files. With a rename of SXX or KYY, with S fro start and K for kill amd XX, YY a number to indicate process order.
    A smart trick.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy79 View Post
    ALso, whne you tried to link to the full thread, it's not the full thread, it's the same little 1 post thread. I am interested in this because I run feisty on an ancient laptop, and I am looking to get rid of ton's of stuff I don't need running which is slowing it down almost intolerable. Please help.
    thanks for point me that. I just copied links from browser... something must failled. I will correct my post.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

yes, thanks for the post... it does help to understand what all these processes are doing

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

thank you this has not only sped up the operating systems bootup process - far as I went it also sped up the loading of the Desktop and applications.. ty..

oh and it fixed many issues I was having with my connectiond to the net now pages load quicker..
    Last edited by nowshining; September 10th, 2007 at 01:15 AM. Reason: stupid forum
    My Stuff:
    Hostfile Blacklist
    K/Ubuntu 7.10 Tips/Tricks
    3_days_+_no_reply=Subscription_Removed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

is there an update or guide with the other services found on Feisty and Gusty that are not mention here?
    | Better to be a geek than an idiot! | Ubuntu user num # 15259 | Linux user # 422921 |

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hello all, i am searching for a updated list for gusty. I would like a list with only absolute necessary services to run ubuntu gusty safe with only a xserver. So without internet gdm alsa etcetera. It would safe me a lot of time else I have to go through all those services myself.

Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

TuxCrafter GDM is what u see when u log in - u know that Sign on screen.
    My Stuff:
    Hostfile Blacklist
    K/Ubuntu 7.10 Tips/Tricks
    3_days_+_no_reply=Subscription_Removed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by nowshining View Post
    TuxCrafter GDM is what u see when u log in - u know that Sign on screen.
    Sorry, I am not getting your point. I startupuntil tty terminal. Then I login and execute startx (autostart)
    I don't use GDM.

I need to be sure witch services are critical to create a stable system.

Page 32 of 44 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast