Page 32 of 44 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 433

Thread: HowTo: Speed up ubuntu boot process - the way you can feel it.

  1. #311
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

    Re: HowTo: Speed up ubuntu boot process - the way you can feel it.

    I have three questions: 1) I have a bunch of duplicate processes, except that one of the duplicates ends with a '$'. Is it safe to delete processes that end in a '$'? 2) I have one process, 'nvidia-ke$'. I don't believe I have any nvidia hardware, so does that mean that it would be safe to delete that process? Or is there some other reason that it's running? 3) I don't have a file called /etc/inittab . I assume that this is because I'm using Feisty, and the file has since changed names. If this is the case, is there still a file in Feisty where I can disable tty4, 5, and 6?

    Thank's for the great guide!

  2. #312
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Beans
    2,324

    Re: HowTo: Speed up ubuntu boot process - the way you can feel it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Yes View Post
    I have three questions: 1) I have a bunch of duplicate processes, except that one of the duplicates ends with a '$'. Is it safe to delete processes that end in a '$'? 2) I have one process, 'nvidia-ke$'. I don't believe I have any nvidia hardware, so does that mean that it would be safe to delete that process? Or is there some other reason that it's running? 3) I don't have a file called /etc/inittab . I assume that this is because I'm using Feisty, and the file has since changed names. If this is the case, is there still a file in Feisty where I can disable tty4, 5, and 6?

    Thank's for the great guide!
    hi,

    for 1)
    the "repetead" ended '$' are just contractions of names that sysv-rc.conf do on long ones.
    Be careful they are not repeated processes, but diferent ones.
    As an example powernowd and powernowd$ are not the same thing. The second is powernowd.early, a name too long.
    You can see the processes of each level by run (here for level 2):
    Code:
    ls /etc/rc2.d/
    2) Never understamd that nvidia entry. It's not even useful for nvidia users (driver is loaded by xorg,conf), so even as a mvidia user i always turn that off.

    3) The instructions no longer apply for feisty. Try my suggestion here. You may want to read the full thread for others comments and alternatives.
    Last edited by Rui Pais; August 31st, 2007 at 01:58 PM. Reason: corrected links
    ___________________________________
    ESTRAGON: We've lost our rights?

  3. #313
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee,WI
    Beans
    6,282
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: HowTo: Speed up ubuntu boot process - the way you can feel it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rui Pais View Post
    hi,

    for 1)
    the "repetead" ended '$' are just contractions of names that sysv-rc.conf do on long ones.
    Be careful they are not repeated processes, but diferent ones.
    As an example powernowd and powernowd$ are not the same thing. The second is powernowd.early, a name too long.
    You can see the processes of each level by run (here for level 2):
    Code:
    ls /etc/rc2.d/
    2) Never understamd that nvidia entry. It's not even useful for nvidia users (driver is loaded by xorg,conf), so even as a mvidia user i always turn that off.

    3) The instructions no longer apply for feisty. Try my suggestion here. You may want to read the full thread for others comments and alternatives.
    your link merely talks about a getty, are you saying that I can just move any process to a different folder and it won't run? ALso, whne you tried to link to the full thread, it's not the full thread, it's the same little 1 post thread. I am interested in this because I run feisty on an ancient laptop, and I am looking to get rid of ton's of stuff I don't need running which is slowing it down almost intolerable. Please help.

  4. #314
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Beans
    2,324

    Re: HowTo: Speed up ubuntu boot process - the way you can feel it.

    Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy79 View Post
    your link merely talks about a getty, are you saying that I can just move any process to a different folder and it won't run?
    hi,
    my suggestion was in sequence of Yes question, to prevent ttys from start. But yes, sysv-rc-conf it's just an frontend to do exactly that.
    All boot "process" are just links under /etc/rc<N>.d/ to files under /etc/init.d/files. With a rename of SXX or KYY, with S fro start and K for kill amd XX, YY a number to indicate process order.
    A smart trick.

    Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy79 View Post
    ALso, whne you tried to link to the full thread, it's not the full thread, it's the same little 1 post thread. I am interested in this because I run feisty on an ancient laptop, and I am looking to get rid of ton's of stuff I don't need running which is slowing it down almost intolerable. Please help.
    thanks for point me that. I just copied links from browser... something must failled. I will correct my post.
    ___________________________________
    ESTRAGON: We've lost our rights?

  5. #315
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    010101010101001101000001
    Beans
    858
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: HowTo: Speed up ubuntu boot process - the way you can feel it.

    yes, thanks for the post... it does help to understand what all these processes are doing

  6. #316
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    No Comment
    Beans
    1,733
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

    Re: HowTo: Speed up ubuntu boot process - the way you can feel it.

    thank you this has not only sped up the operating systems bootup process - far as I went it also sped up the loading of the Desktop and applications.. ty..



    oh and it fixed many issues I was having with my connectiond to the net now pages load quicker..
    Last edited by nowshining; September 10th, 2007 at 01:15 AM. Reason: stupid forum
    My Stuff:
    Hostfile Blacklist
    K/Ubuntu 7.10 Tips/Tricks
    3_days_+_no_reply=Subscription_Removed

  7. #317
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Orlando FL
    Beans
    99
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: HowTo: Speed up ubuntu boot process - the way you can feel it.

    is there an update or guide with the other services found on Feisty and Gusty that are not mention here?
    | Better to be a geek than an idiot! | Ubuntu user num # 15259 | Linux user # 422921 |

  8. #318
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Beans
    395
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: HowTo: Speed up ubuntu boot process - the way you can feel it.

    Hello all, i am searching for a updated list for gusty. I would like a list with only absolute necessary services to run ubuntu gusty safe with only a xserver. So without internet gdm alsa etcetera. It would safe me a lot of time else I have to go through all those services myself.

    Cheers

  9. #319
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    No Comment
    Beans
    1,733
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

    Re: HowTo: Speed up ubuntu boot process - the way you can feel it.

    TuxCrafter GDM is what u see when u log in - u know that Sign on screen.
    My Stuff:
    Hostfile Blacklist
    K/Ubuntu 7.10 Tips/Tricks
    3_days_+_no_reply=Subscription_Removed

  10. #320
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Beans
    395
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: HowTo: Speed up ubuntu boot process - the way you can feel it.

    Quote Originally Posted by nowshining View Post
    TuxCrafter GDM is what u see when u log in - u know that Sign on screen.
    Sorry, I am not getting your point. I startupuntil tty terminal. Then I login and execute startx (autostart)
    I don't use GDM.

    I need to be sure witch services are critical to create a stable system.

Page 32 of 44 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •