Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Intrepid on a Acer Aspire One

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Intrepid on a Acer Aspire One

Go to applications>>System>>>system monitor

Check out the system tab. If you already have ibex alpha6. just follow the instructions above.

Now:

If by chance you already have the beta release, try to follow the instructions above as well. If everything goes fine, post back here.
    Whenever posting a question, don't forget to place tags on them.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aimpau View Post
    Go to applications>>System>>>system monitor

Check out the system tab. If you already have ibex alpha6. just follow the instructions above.

Now:

If by chance you already have the beta release, try to follow the instructions above as well. If everything goes fine, post back here.
    It looks like I have the beta release:

Release 8.10 (intrepid)
    Kernel linux 2.6.27-5-generic
    Gnome 2.24.0
    I followed the instructions and nothing seems to happened.

Beans

Well I have the beta running and its all fine, apart from two things. Sound doesn't work on youtube, though that may just be a firefox issue. Secondly when I try to run Open arena it just goes back to desktop all i can do is log out, However when I log back in it loads up, game runs fine.

Going to try and get the 8.0.0 version see if that helps, other than that everything runs fine.

Beans
    Hidden!

craggsy, did you make a fresh install or an upgrade from 8.4? Also, do video, sound (beside your Youtube experince without sound) and wifi ´just work´ without any tweaking at all? Too good to be true, but I wanna believe.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Davsdu View Post
    craggsy, did you make a fresh install or an upgrade from 8.4? Also, do video, sound (beside your Youtube experince without sound) and wifi ´just work´ without any tweaking at all? Too good to be true, but I wanna believe.

Hey

I screwed up mu 8.04 install so i reinstalled that, then using my ethernet I ran the upgrade took about an hour I guess in total. Everything works, the wifi started up perfectly though it wasn't too happy about WEP for some reason but it runs using WPA-2. I haven't tweaked the wifi at all, it ran as soon as i rebooted after the upgrade. I fixed the Firefox sound issues (flash audio fix), I had a problem with Open Arena crashing though I fixed that by following THIS.

The boot time is 44 seconds compared to 36/38 on 8.04 though when everything works straight up its easier.

Two "issues" are
    - Card reader doesn't work, the fixes for 8.04 don't work
    - Screen resolutions now are only 640 and 1024, which is lame for open arena, though Warsow can display other resolutions than the two listed.

So yea the only tweaks are to run the pulse audio fix that takes about 2 mins max, and install the flashaudio thing for youtube, thats it. Everything else works out of the box.

Beans
    Hidden!

Wow! Sounds amazingly good--can´t wait to get my hands on my own Aspire One.

Thanks for the heads up!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (testing)

I had installed Hardy on my Aspire One (1Gb ram, 120 GB HD), i had some issues with the soundcard, it worked, but not very well, i tried all the options from the https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne:

/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-baseptions snd-hda-intel model=toshiba, acer, auto

I discover that when the wireless card module (ath_pci) was loaded, the sound card did not work (snd-hda-intel)

I recompiled the latest alsa modules with the AlsaUpgrade script and the madwifi ones, not success with the sound problem, if ath_pci module was loaded there was a sound problem, but if removed the modules from the kernel and i loaded both again the sound problem fixed.

so i decided to update to Intrepid, before the update i commented all the options i added from the above page, rc.local, modules, etc... After the update everything was working ok, i did not have to compile anything for the wireless card to work, the sound worked perfect, etc. So, after that, i was adding the options i had before, one by one...

The options:
    # As in the rc.last.ctrl of Linpus
    #echo ondemand > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    #echo ondemand > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    #cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_rate_max > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_rate

Cause the automatic scaling not to work, so i commented it.

The option:
    #echo 10 > /sys/module/snd_hda_intel/parameters/power_save

Cause the sound card not to work very well, cutted sound, for example, the login Gnome sound (maybe that option was causing problems on Hardy).

The wireless works ok but the wireless card led does not work.

The new kernel uses the ath5k module for the atheros card on the Aspire One, so the options:
    sysctl -w dev.wifi0.ledpin=3
    sysctl -w dev.wifi0.softled=1

will not work since there are not such variables on the sysctl system, and of course the wireless card is now wlan0:

the sysctl -A command show all the sysctl available variables, there is not anyone for turnon the led when using the ath5k module.

So far, the system is working ok with Intrepid, i have some issues related to the 3D performance, INTEL_BATH=1 enviroment variable does not seem to make any diference, and the other xorg.conf options ( Option "AccelMethod" "EXA", etc.) that should make better 3D performance did not work too.

I got a poor 340.827 FPS, when i had +- 800.000 whit Hardy.

I hope the xorg Intel driver gets updated on new kernel updates.

Excuseme for my bad english.

-Ariel
    México

Beans

Ariel, thanks for your reply.

I've been trying to reconcile https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne with what works under Intrepid, and you've confirmed a few things for me (frequency scaling, wireless LEDs)

I am going to try to clean up that wiki page once I get through a few more issues. Can you please clarify about the sound:

* Do you still have "snd-hda-intel" in /etc/modules, or does it load automatically?
    * Do you have "options snd-hda-intel model=toshiba" or similar in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base or any other file?

Another thing is that usplash doesn't seem to be working under Intrepid...have you also experienced this?
    Last edited by khaeru; October 14th, 2008 at 12:20 AM. Reason: added usplash note

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I am getting an Acer Aspire One on the 22nd, the 120gb HD version. I had intended to install Intrepid straight away, since so much more of my Toshiba laptop worked right away with Intrepid. But after reading several of these posts and the Community guide, looks like I need to rethink this. It doesn't look like it is going to be easy to install over the default Linpus.
    Bob

Beans

Well it does install over linpus, and after yesterdays update everything now works, minus the wifi led's though I don't really care about them.

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast