Thread: SMTP enabled?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

SMTP enabled?

How do you enable smtp on a ubuntu linux server? I know in IIS it's just a matter of checking an enable feature.

Beans

Re: SMTP enabled?

Quote Originally Posted by raptormanad View Post
    How do you enable smtp on a ubuntu linux server? I know in IIS it's just a matter of checking an enable feature.
    I'm not sure exactly what you are asking for here. Any SMTP client should work out of the box. If you are looking to add a mail server to queue and forward only local SMTP requests, you can try installing the nullmailer package:

Code:
    apt-get install nullmailer
    If you need a full-blown mail server, you can try installing the postfix package, but mail server configuration configuration tends to be pretty complicated:

Code:
    apt-get install postfix

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Maybe he means SNMP?

-Tim
    www.pcchopshop.net

Hard to find and obsolete PC and server parts. "If we can't find it, it probably doesn't exist"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Ximbiot View Post
    I'm not sure exactly what you are asking for here. Any SMTP client should work out of the box. If you are looking to add a mail server to queue and forward only local SMTP requests, you can try installing the nullmailer package:

Code:
    apt-get install nullmailer
    If you need a full-blown mail server, you can try installing the postfix package, but mail server configuration configuration tends to be pretty complicated:

Code:
    apt-get install postfix
    I'll give these a shot. We need an smtp server installed on our LAMP server.