Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: Atheros ar928x working...

Beans

Re: Atheros ar928x working...

update it to stable release now

Beans

Finally I found the solution for my case:

in summary, I tried everything I read without sucess (backports, blacklisting of ath9k, compat drivers, bluetooth desactivation etc.)

My symptoms were regular disconnections, blank connections (said connected but not) and sometimes difficulties to reconnect.

My solution is just to force the speed on my router in 802.11N (I was before in G/N). No more problems since.

It seems that the driver for this card manages very badly the G speed.

Beans

When I started working as a programmer I spent my a day with an Ampex terminal on a UNIX System III computer. A lot has happened since then so I must admit I am a bit lost with Ubuntu. So it's really great with this forum and all the information you can get.

As a lot other people contributing in this thread I also spent a lot of time getting the Atheros AR92X Wi-Fi to work. I have an Acer Aspire 7730Z and installing Ubuntu really went smoothly. Unfortunately the Wi-Fi was unstable. The connection toggled on and off and kept prompting for the password.

I tried several solutions I found but none of them worked. Then I saw the suggestion in this thread to simply remove and insert the module. And it works! You just have to do:

Alt-F2 and enter "gksudo xterm" to get a terminal.

Code:
    modprobe -r ath9k
    modprobe ath9k
    So I put the attached script in /etc/init.d and created a symbolic link:

Code:
    ln -s /etc/init.d/atheros.sh /etc/rc2.d/S99atheros
    and now the wifi is rock steady.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by isterios View Post

My solution is just to force the speed on my router in 802.11N (I was before in G/N). No more problems since.

It seems that the driver for this card manages very badly the G speed.
    I know it's been a while but did you do this on the router itself or did you find a way to do this on the card? Because I have devices on my network which are only 802.11G so I can't force the router into n only mode.
    I've had a quick look and I can't find any way to force the chip itself into n only mode

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I know it's been a while but did you do this on the router itself or did you find a way to do this on the card? Because I have devices on my network which are only 802.11G so I can't force the router into n only mode.
    I've had a quick look and I can't find any way to force the chip itself into n only mode
    In principle you should be able to force 11n with the iwconfig command:
    Code:
    sudo iwconfig wlan0 modu 11n
    But this doesn't always work in practice. For more information check on the "modu[lation]" section of the iwconfig manpage.

Beans

Mine's not working either on my Asus G72GX. However, I'm not using Ubuntu. I'm using windows 7.... any idea how to fix the problem with windows?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hmmm...if it doesn't work under Windows, it's probably either a driver problem or faulty hardware. Try downloading the wireless driver from ASUS's website here:

Code:
    http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?m=G72GX
    If that doesn't work, I'd call ASUS and see if they can fix it (if your warranty hasn't expired).

Of course you can also download the Ubuntu Live CD too to test the wireless, since the Atheros cards work perfectly fine under Linux now...
    Last edited by chenxiaolong; September 28th, 2011 at 05:22 AM. Reason: Link was specific to my browser session
    Laptop broke ...

Beans

Oh Boy another noob, sorry!
    I'm having similar problems with my PBell easynote, windows reports the network card as an AR5B93. I cannot log onto my BTHomeHub2 even with the security settings removed completely BUT I can log on to my BTFon/Openzone and get full access to the net, this is running from my hub. Tried loading ndiswrapper but to no avail and have loaded Mint (Ubuntu) but same result. Any ideas.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

cckspe: first of all, are you sure your BTHomeHub2 is not configured to filter MAC addresses? If that's not the problem, I would try changing the wireless channel and/or mode on the router--e.g., if the router is currently in 11b/11g mixed mode, try only 11g, or vice-versa. Sometimes changes like this can help in situations where you can connect to one router but not another.

You should also look at your dmesg output after trying to connect (just type "dmesg" in a terminal). It may provide information on what's not working. If you don't know how to interpret the output you can post it here.

Beans

ok m8 thanks for the pointers I'll go have a nosy just now and see whats what.

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast