Thread: can only find hosts with dots

Beans

can only find hosts with dots

hi there.

i've set up a dnsmasq as a local dns server. the problem that i am having is that other pachines on this network can only find host names if a dot (.) is appended to the end of the name:

for example : http://test-server/ is found on the server machine that has dnsmasq running but to open it on windows machine we have to to : http://test-server./ .

my /etc/hosts file looks like this:
    127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
    192.168.1.14 test-server.localdomain test-server

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
    ::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
    fe00::0 ip6-localnet
    ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
    ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
    ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
    ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

any suggestions are greatly appreciated, thanks;

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: can only find hosts with dots

You don need dnsmasq or a dns server unless your are working with a large number of computers, if you are just running this on your local network just edit your hosts files to look like this:

Code:
    127.0.0.1 localhost
    192.168.1.14 test-server
    You don't need any of the ipv6 entrues if you don't plan on using ipv6.

Jim

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06 Dapper

It is likely down to the configuration of the Windows client. Specifically, without adding the trailing period (indicating the root) it is adding on a search domain i.e. making the name fully qualified in order to ensure a resolution.

Increase the logging verbosity of dnsmasq or run a packet sniffer on the server (or client) to see exactly what request is being made. The suffix you'll see will give you an idea where the fault lies.

Edit: Having read this post (looking through the rant) it would appear that even in the absence of a domain suffix Windows clients may well not make a DNS request at all for non-qualified names Hence your only solution would be to use a domain suffix for your DNS or, as mentioned above, not use DNS at all. This behaviour is probably a hangover from the days of NETBIOS and its differentiation with DNS.

Mathew
    Last edited by MJN; August 19th, 2008 at 10:49 AM.
    www.NewtonNet.co.uk - Now supporting IPv6!

~ Please don't use PM's to request assistance - post your query on the forum and share the discussion - if you've got a problem chances are you won't be the only one! ~

Beans

thanks ! i added a dot (.) as a suffix in windows and it seems (3 knocks on the wood) to be working;

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Ah, yes - good thinking! I hadn't thought to just add a . as the suffix (I'm surprised it didn't baulk at the idea)

Mathew
    www.NewtonNet.co.uk - Now supporting IPv6!

~ Please don't use PM's to request assistance - post your query on the forum and share the discussion - if you've got a problem chances are you won't be the only one! ~