Thread: Compiz more trouble than it's worth?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Compiz more trouble than it's worth?

It seems that almost every time I want to play a 3d game, watch a movie (VLC or Mplayer) I have to disable Compiz because I have problems with the video not showing up or the 3d keeps blinking. Is even Compiz worth this trouble? Is there anything out there to make this easier?
    Last edited by diskmaster23; August 18th, 2008 at 05:51 AM.

Beans

Re: Compiz more trouble than it's worth?

Im guessing you have an ATI graphics card so theres 2 thins you can try. You can download the latest driver from the website (ubuntus one in the repos is a few versions old) which is meant to be a very good version. Or consider getting an nvidia card.

Beans
    Distro

Yes you are correct, I am using an ATI card. If I use Envy will that take care of the problem?

Did I just read a short while ago that NVIDIA was going to start charging for drivers?

Some people are saying these days that ATI is better on linux than NVIDIA is there any facts to that?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

If you install fusion-icon you will have the option to quickly and easily switch between compiz and metacity

it is in the repos under fusion-icon

edit: Or you may want to use Compiz-Switch

http://forlong.blogage.de/entries/pages/Compiz-Switch
    Last edited by kaboodle_fish; August 18th, 2008 at 04:13 PM.
    *Please insert your own witty and insightful comment here*

Beans

Some people are saying these days that ATI is better on linux than NVIDIA is there any facts to that?
    Nonsense, until them ATI drivers are heavily updated I will be using nvidia, I am also guessing this will be a long time due to the state of them.

Beans
    Distro

That's helpful. Typing in the command is a PITA, I don't mind getting dirty with the command line, but I am lazy

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by diskmaster23 View Post
    Yes you are correct, I am using an ATI card. If I use Envy will that take care of the problem?

Did I just read a short while ago that NVIDIA was going to start charging for drivers?

To the first bit, Envy wont solve the problem unless ATI's current driver fixes the problem. The secound bit, i very much dought NVIDIA will charge you for drivers. If you have a NVIDIA card youve already paid them once. They wont be making you ay again

Thirdly, the new ATI driver has recieved a lot of good reviews. Im not sure if its fixed the compiz problem, but its a welcome change compared to reviews of the last few ATI drivers. If you get an NVIDIA card, check here first to see if it works, and make sure your power supply can handle it. When i was looking at the newer cards the other day, i found my power supply wasnt strong enough to run them.

Lastly, if you dont mind playing in terminal, uninstall your current ATI driver and use method 2 in the following link:

http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...allation_Guide

That will give you the very newst brand spanking new, shiney, bibbley, bobbley driver with bells on

Beans
    Distro

I just wanted to give a quick update on the advice to update the ATI drivers to the latest version. I followed the steps, but it didn't fix some of the problems. Apparently the problem lies with Compiz and not ATI. ATI seems to have decent drivers the only thing I don't like is not having a gui for the aticonfig.

Anybody have a guide for setting up the TV for X? I cannot seem to find one. I do not like how aticonfig has decided to mirror my regular monitor into my TV. In addition, I don't like how the display at the login manager is different than when I log in.

However, I am happy to say that Ubuntu and the community has made strides in support/knowledge and feasibility. I am glad I switched.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Depending on what version of Ubuntu you're using, you might the following link useful:

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-581568.html

It explains how to create a separate login without XGL and Compiz. I've found it very helpful.

Beans

Thumbs down Re: Compiz more trouble than it's worth?

To drag this in to another month but also to address the original question of the OP, YES.

I have Nvidia 8800GT under latest NVidia driver and Compiz is a PITA.
    I have to shut it down to stop it lowering FPS rates in games, it makes mouse scrolling unpredictable in everything and, frankly, I can live without wobbly windows that get stuck in corners.
    The desktop & grouped windows functions were cool AND useful but nothing I can't live without.