Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Alert

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Newbie Alert

Hi...

I'm VERY new to the whole of the Linux lark and I'm hoping to pick up some tips and tricks from you all.

I'm very impressed at the mo with Hardy Heron 8.04 (I've only had it installed an hour, though!)

So please be gentle with me and if I ask any stupid questions, I apologise in advance!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Newbie Alert

Welcome to Ubuntu.
    I used to have a handle on life, but it snapped off.
    Ubuntu user number # 12234

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Grez View Post
    Hi...

I'm VERY new to the whole of the Linux lark and I'm hoping to pick up some tips and tricks from you all.

I'm very impressed at the mo with Hardy Heron 8.04 (I've only had it installed an hour, though!)

So please be gentle with me and if I ask any stupid questions, I apologise in advance!
    Don't be ashamed, we all were (or are still) new to Linux at one point, so we know it can feel strange at first. Just ask when you have trouble, don't be afraid to.
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by smartboyathome View Post
    Don't be ashamed, we all were (or are still) new to Linux at one point, so we know it can feel strange at first. Just ask when you have trouble, don't be afraid to.
    I was a guru from birth.
    Posting code? Use the [code] or [php] tags.
    I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hmm. Considering you just joined a year ago, I would hold off on guruship.

(I know this isn't the only linux forum out there, but from my experience it is the most active)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Achetar View Post
    Hmm. Considering you just joined a year ago, I would hold off on guruship.

(I know this isn't the only linux forum out there, but from my experience it is the most active)
    Before I joined, I was rewriting Ubuntu from scratch, so I had no need for this mainstream support forum. It was only until someone showed me cowsay that I decided normal ubuntu was for me.
    Posting code? Use the [code] or [php] tags.
    I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me.

Beans

new to linux and just join. i am using xp now on my desktop. can i install ubuntu and try out without removing xp. thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by pfc369 View Post
    new to linux and just join. i am using xp now on my desktop. can i install ubuntu and try out without removing xp. thanks
    You can just boot from the Live CD and try it without making ANY changes to your machine. Bit slow running from CD though.

You can run an Open Source virtual PC like VirtualBox for Windows and install Ubuntu in there. Nice and safe - again a little slow and you will not get good 3D graphics performance etc.

There is an installation from within Windows which creates a virtual hard disk (as a big file in Windows) which you can then boot to.

Finally you can use the installer to shrink your Windows partition and dual boot with Ubuntu on a proper partition - be careful during the resizing and creating of the Linux partition that you do not accidentally destroy your Windows data (unlikely, but there are lots of posts where people have managed this). As always, you should have a backup of all your data...
    I used to have a handle on life, but it snapped off.
    Ubuntu user number # 12234

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by pfc369 View Post
    Hi

I downloaded the Live disk image from

http://www.ubuntu.com/

Click on "download" and "desktop edition" and pick the 64-bit version if you have a 64 bit machine.

It downloads a .iso disk image, which you can then burn to CD rom using Nero. (The download took me about 90 mins on a 1Mb/s broadband connection).

You can then use the CD ROM to boot your machine and it will start up using Linux. I was very impressed at how well it worked for me last night and so did the full install this afternoon.

I got this machine 3 weeks ago with Vista pre-installed. It popped, crackled, froze, re-booted and generally pigged about to some fine order for the first day or so. In fact, I was on the verge of taking it back. Just booting up Vista with nothing else installed took about 2 minutes of HDD time after the desktop appeared, and there's lots of unknown HDD access when you're doing very little with the machine.

Not so with Ubuntu. I've been very impressed by the speed and stability of the thing, as well as the number of packages that are freely available for it.

I'm currently dual-booting but....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Grez View Post
    Hi...

Welcome to Ubuntu.

Don't run anything as root that you don't have to.

System -> Administration -> Synaptic Package Manager

This is your friend! Files here work and install proper and easily.

System -> Administration -> Software Sources

This will allow you to add additional repos, there are even more out there but these will cover most everything you'll need.

Compiz-Fusion is FUN, and adds a great deal of interesting desktop functions and pretties that you just can't get in $hitdows. I used the how-to here, http://www.howtoforge.com/compiz-fus...rce-fx-5200-p2 and it worked perfect.

Any specific questions please ask!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast