Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FInding Partitions

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: FInding Partitions

Quote Originally Posted by az View Post
    "Deleted or lost files can usually be recovered from failed or formatted drives and partitions, CD-ROMs and memory cards using the free/libre software available in the Ubuntu repositories."
    OK, I missed that.
    However, it also sais:

Also, data carving requires that the files recovered be located in sequential sectors (rather than fragmented) as there is no allocation information to point to fragmented file portions. This method can be time and resource intensive.
    So it's not easy, and very prone to errors.
    I've seen how fragmentet many folks's hard drives are. Only using Windows, they generally have no idea about defragmenting.

However, you evidently know more about this than I do, and probably make a lot of money saving files for customers, so I'll be wise enough to not object any more!
    If it works, FIX IT! (Bill Gates)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: FInding Partitions

Quote Originally Posted by az View Post

I tried to download that program. Failed three times.
    This has not happened before. I want to check whether your statements are true, and I have a used disk lying here, with an NTFS partition converted to ext3 and reformatted.

I'm still very skeptical, and want to see before I believe. I'll try a new download tomorrow. Maybe the conditions are better then.
    If it works, FIX IT! (Bill Gates)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123