Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: scp and rsync stall when transferring from Ubuntu hardy heron 8.04

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

scp and rsync stall when transferring from Ubuntu hardy heron 8.04

Hi,
    After I upgraded to Hardy, it seems that scp and rsync no longer transfer files properly. Scp stalls somewhere after 2000KB, and rsync stalls after a few files, I haven't determined the limit. The issue could be fixed from my workplace's environment by a reduced --bwlimit with rsync, but from another location I cannot transfer files reliably either to, or from, my Hardy desktop, when the other end is also a Hardy computer.

I am seeing this:
    Code:
    $ scp gdm-themes.tar.gz drache:dev/.
    gdm-themes.tar.gz                              28% 2112KB   1.7MB/s   00:03 ETA
    gdm-themes.tar.gz                              33% 2448KB   0.0KB/s - stalled -
    I read about a workaround by setting a lower MTU on the interface in question, but it did not help.
    I also tried playing around with the MTU values using:
    sudo ping -f -v -c 10 -s somenumber target.host.name
    and it appeared I get packet loss (20-30%) on all mtu values, except values exceeding 3000 (which does not make sense since I can't set that on my wireless interface, 2200 seems to be the maximum).

Further research into this has yielded no positive results. I went and downloaded the newest OpenSSH 5.1, compiled and installed it, to no avail; transfers from this computer still stall. I am fairly certain it is not the ssh. This occurs on both of my Ubuntu 8.04 machines: My 64-bit desktop, which is using the 8139too network module for an RTL network card, and my laptop, which uses atheros-based wireless.

My desktop had wondershaper installed. I removed it to see if that was causing the problem, but the problem remains.

Has anyone else run into this? any other workarounds?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Vermind; September 16th, 2008 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Added extra information
    Vermind

Beans

Re: scp and rsync stall when transferring from Ubuntu hardy heron 8.04

I am seeing this as well, at least with scp. I haven't tried rsync. Unfortunately, I have no work around.

Beans

I had similar transfer problems with my wifi. Try adding this at the end of your /etc/sysclt.conf and then reload it via sysclt -p

net.core.rmem_default = 524288
    net.core.rmem_max = 524288
    net.core.wmem_default = 524288
    net.core.wmem_max = 524288
    net.ipv4.tcp_wmem = 4096 87380 524288
    net.ipv4.tcp_rmem = 4096 87380 524288
    net.ipv4.tcp_mem = 524288 524288 524288
    net.ipv4.tcp_rfc1337 = 1
    net.ipv4.ip_no_pmtu_disc = 0
    net.ipv4.tcp_sack = 1
    net.ipv4.tcp_fack = 1
    net.ipv4.tcp_window_scaling = 1
    net.ipv4.tcp_timestamps = 1
    net.ipv4.tcp_ecn = 0
    net.ipv4.route.flush = 1

Beans
    Distro

Smile Re: scp and rsync stall when transferring from Ubuntu hardy heron 8.04

Hello,
    thank You very much, willca!
    This fixes it. No stalls with scp, at least on the local network. I am getting stuff at 1.6MB per second, and successfully transferred a 300MB file. Wider testing to take place later.

Thanks again!
    Vermind

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by willca View Post
    I had similar transfer problems with my wifi. Try adding this at the end of your /etc/sysclt.conf and then reload it via sysclt -p
    This didn't change anything for me. My transfers still fail at 2064 kB.

Beans
    Distro

steve c, I just noticed the same. A transfer uploaded from my server still stalled. This was after a reboot from the original fix, so, I said sysctl -p, and tried again. It did not stall. Seems that my sysctl is not being loaded properly at startup. How about you? Does this help?
    Vermind

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Vermind View Post
    steve c, I just noticed the same. A transfer uploaded from my server still stalled. This was after a reboot from the original fix, so, I said sysctl -p, and tried again. It did not stall. Seems that my sysctl is not being loaded properly at startup. How about you? Does this help?
    I'm afraid not. I didn't reboot. I can't imagine why /etc/sysctl.conf wouldn't be read at boot though. You sure that running sysctl -p after boot actually changed something?

Maybe try restarting and running
    Code:
    sysctl -a > pre
    sysctl -p
    sysctl -a > post
    diff -u pre post
    and see if the settings are actually different.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Quote Originally Posted by willca View Post
    Thank you SO MUCH!

Beans
    Distro

Hello,
    It appears stalls are occurring again when I transfer to the University Linux server. When I first tried the suggested net modifications, transfers there did not stall. Something is wrong...
    Vermind

Beans

Well, you can chalk my problems up to my switch dying. Apparently the few different ports I tried in my tests had all failed while the others were working so it seemed like not a switch problem.

When different symptoms appeared on my other machines (not running ubuntu), I noticed that setting my speeds from 1000baseT to 100baseT caused a significant speed up, but it was still slow. Wireshark showed a large number of duplicate tcp packets being sent. I pulled the switch out of the network and replaced it with a slower router and now my network issues have disappeared.

Thanks for all of the help and my apologies for wasting your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast