Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thunar stops responding

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Thunar stops responding

I use Xubuntu GNU/Linux 8.04 on a Pentium III 550 MHz with 384 MB of RAM. Thunar CONSTANTLY and REPEATEDLY becomes unresponsive. (By which I mean very nearly completely unresponsive: I can move its windows, but they won't paint after something else is an front of them, and they don't respond to mouse clicks ... at all.) It doesn't matter how long I wait: I can walk off, go grocery shopping, go to work, etc.; when I come back, Thunar is still useless. Invoking "thunar -q" from a command line doesn't work, either. I can force it to quit with the System Monitor program, but having to do this is an enormous pain, especially if I'm in the middle of doing something already.

It seems to happen more often when browsing foreign (i.e. NTFS) partitions, or folders with lots of files, but I'm really not willing to reorganize or reformat my file system just to keep a buggy program from becoming unresponsive. (The computer should allow me to work in the way that's intuitive to me, not force me to organize my files in a way that keeps it from choking -- right?) Moreover, it happens under "normal" circumstances, too ... ext3fs partitions, in folders taht I own with only a few files.

This used to happen under Xubuntu 7.10, too. Quite frankly, I'm fed up with it. Can anyone recommend a fix, or some way of figuring out what's going on? Or a replacement for Thunar? My preference would be for something with a small memory footprint.

Many thanks for any advice.

Beans

Re: Thunar stops responding

I've never experienced these problems but if you want an alternative file manager, consider pcmanfm or rox-filer.

Beans

Hi pmooney78!

I know exactly what you mean. I'm using Xubuntu 8.04 64-bit here, but I've been encountering this menacing bug back since when I started with Xubuntu Feisty 32-bit over 1 1/2 years ago - on completely different systems:
    my current one and on an old Thunderbird 1,2GHz board.

I've even sent along a bugreport at bugzilla at that time (where other's reported the same issue as well), but no one seems to have been taking care about it.
    Perhaps it's about time to file some more bug reports, in order to make the Thunar devs finally wake up.

perixx

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the reply. I'd be happy to file a bug report, but I'm a newbie ... how do I file a bug report with bugzilla?

The thing is, I've tried other file managers, but I LIKE Thunar's interface & don't want to give it up. I'd be grateful if the problem just went away.

Beans

sudo apt-get install pcmanfm

just use that - its nearly the same.

Beans

Hi pmooney78...

sorry, but I mixed it up here - it's not bugzilla, but launchpad, that's being used as a bug filing platform for Ubuntu. Pardon that, but it's been quite some time since I last filed a report!

Head over to
    and generate an account there (you can use it for future bugreports, too).
    Then go along the instructions and look if your problem is already mentioned
    (which it should be) and you should confirm this bugreport.
    If not, or if you're unsure, file a new report and try to be as specific as possible with your bug description, preferably providing a procedure, on how to reproduce the bug successfully (when it does appear most certainly).

Also, don't forget to mention your OS version (Hardy/Gutsy/Xubuntu/Kubuntu...) and perhaps some notes on your hardware.

I know it's kind of cumbersome at first, but you'll get used to it quickly.

greetings,

perixx

Beans

Angry Re: Thunar stops responding

I'm just searching for the same problem here.
    One thing I've tried yesterday was launching thunar as superuser (sudo thunar) from terminal while another Thunar window stops, and constantly it works. So I'm wondering if this has to do with permissions.
    Could you give a try and confirm "sudo thunar" works for you?

Beans
    Distro

I use "gksudo thunar" occasionally, mostly to mount devices that aren't in /etc/fstab, and haven't ever seen any problems with it, but I don't use it for very long, so maybe that's why.

I'll try to use it more extensively and see whether the problem still crops up.

Beans

I haven't encountered any crashes of Thunar for two or three weeks now; perhaps the kernel-upgrade has made a change to the better?

perixx

Beans

Oh yeah. Speaks and... crash again.

I can almost certainly track it down to when using 2 or more instances of Thunar at a time and/or involving access to non-user folders during prolonged working with Thunar and other applications.

perixx

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast