Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nvidia Driver: NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.12.pkg1.run.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Nvidia Driver: NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.12.pkg1.run.

Is this (NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.12.pkg1.run) the right driver for a GeForce 7600GS GPU-based card? The card is an ASUS En7600GS Silent.

The installation instructions seem to indicate that one must open a terminal session and enter the info there to install the driver. Is that the way Linux works for hardware driver installations?

Am I in the right forum for questions of this nature?

Thanx
    Sid Moore
    URL: http://sidmoore.net

Beans

Re: Nvidia Driver: NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.12.pkg1.run.

If you want to use the proprietary nvidia drivers please use the System > Administration > Hardware Drivers menu. When the dialog comes up, check the box next to the nvidia driver listed. Allow the program to install the driver and reboot as needed. Ater that you should be all set. If there is a particular reason you want to use the ones from nvidia.com then explain and I (or someone else) will post directions for installing those.
    Ubuntu User #: 0x2695 | Banshee 1.8/2.0 Pidgin Plugin

Intel Q6600 @3.21, 4GB, GTX260, ArchLinux
    Lenovo IdeaPad S10, 1.6GHz Intel Atom, ArchLinux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by SidTheKid View Post
    Is this (NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.12.pkg1.run) the right driver for a GeForce 7600GS GPU-based card? The card is an ASUS En7600GS Silent.

The installation instructions seem to indicate that one must open a terminal session and enter the info there to install the driver. Is that the way Linux works for hardware driver installations?

Am I in the right forum for questions of this nature?

Thanx
    The Ubuntu way (using graphical menus):
    Go to System>Administration>Hardware Drivers - Then check off the boxt that enables the driver and reboot when done.

The Envy way:
    System>Administration>Synapic Package Manager
    Click the search button and type Envy - Mark for installation (Envy Core & Envy GTK both should be marked).
    CLick the Apply button and it will install Envy.
    Close the package manager and go back to the menu on the taskbar panel as follows:
    Applications>System>Envy
    Once Envy application is launched, select the nVidia driver automatic install and watch it go. Follow IT'S instructions when done.

The nVidia download way:
    Download the driver to your desktop
    Open up a terminal and type
    Code:
    cd Desktop
    do each of the following in a terminl session, you may want to print this out:

Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
    - this kills your graphical interface

then run the installer with:

Code:
    sudo sh nvidia-file-name.run
    then to restart X graphical window manager:

Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start
    Hope this helps...
    Last edited by crjackson; August 16th, 2008 at 02:02 AM.
    Mac Pro 5,1 6-Core 3.33GHz, 48GB, Sapphire RX580
    Optical -- Apple Super Drive & MCE Internal Blu-ray
    512GB SM 970 Pro NVMe/HighPoint 7101A/10.14.5
    SonnetAllegro Pro USB 3/ 4TB WD/4TB - Barracuda

Beans
    Distro

Thanx, guys.

CR, I printed out your instructions. Many thanks!

Unfortunately, I had already tried the "Ubuntu" way, using System/Admin/Hardware. This does result in the nVidea driver being recognized as being needed, but unenabled. For whatever reason, I then get an error when Ubuntu tries to download the driver. I get a "Can't resolve 'security.ubuntu.com'". What would cause [I]that[?/I]
    Sid Moore

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thanx, guys.

Unfortunately, I had already tried the "Ubuntu" way, using System/Admin/Hardware. This does result in the nVidea driver being recognized as being needed, but unenabled. For whatever reason, I then get an error when Ubuntu tries to download the driver. I get a "Can't resolve 'security.ubuntu.com'". What would cause [I]that[?/I]
    It usually means the site is busy or down. If that happens again, use the fastest mirror by changing it in System-> Administration-> Software Sources.

Beans
    Distro

Oh, my, I am making this much too complicated by using two different computers with Ubuntu---the main Ubuntu computer (ONLY Ubuntu) is the one with internet access and has proper video display characteristics. The other one is set up to dual boot Ubuntu and Windows XP and does NOT have either a workable wireless adaptor nor a CAT5 interface connector---thus, NO internet capability. On this computer, Ubuntu's screen resolution is way low and I was trying to correct it. This, of course, answers why I get the error message in Ubuntu when I try to download the driver. Duh!

Hey, I've definitely learned some stuff in this process---thanks to you guys being so helpful---that will be useful in the days ahead. Many thanks for helping me get a step closer to being a proficient in the Linux OS.
    Sid Moore

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Thanx, guys.

Your package list needs to be updated. Go to System>Administration>Synaptic
    and after it starts up click on Reload. After it is done you can close Synaptic and retry to load the Nvidia driver.

Tom

Beans
    Distro

Tom, can't do that w/o an internet connection. The computer in question doesn't have connectivity under Linux. Am looking for a U.S.Robotics usb wireless adaptor driver, but, will probably follow good advice I got from a previous post and install a hardwire PCI board and run a cable. That is working fine on my All-Ubuntu computer.
    Sid Moore

Beans
    Distro

Happy Day! I am pleased to tell you guys that I found an old wired network card in my closet, installed and connected it to my router, rebooted to Ubuntu and, like magic, my monitor resolution was automatically set to its native resolution of 1680 x 1050 and the display looks GREAT!!!

I also have full internet connectivity. I'm posting this from that very computer. Ubuntu rules!!

Thanx for all the help. Don't you guys go far away, I know I'll be back very soon with another conundrum for you to help me solve.

EDIT: And, Tom, afterwards, I did update as you suggested. Thanx!
    Last edited by SidTheKid; August 17th, 2008 at 03:54 PM.
    Sid Moore

Beans

Question Re: Nvidia Driver: NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.12.pkg1.run.

Hey guys....I badly need help here.
    I'm a complete newbie to Linux.

When I go to System>Administration>Hardware Drivers, I see a message that there are no proprietary drivers in use and I cant see anything there for me to be able to enable/disable anything.

I tried the "The nVidia download way" mentioned above, but as soon as I kill the graphical interface, I'm able to do nothing.

When I type in "sudo sh nvidia.run", nothing happens.
    NOTE: I have renamed the driver file to nvidia.run.

The only thing I'm able to do is reboot the computer by hitting Ctrl+Alt+Del and nothing else.
    Please help.

I have a GeForce 9600GT and I have downloaded the right drivers from nVidia.com.

Thanks in advance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast