Thread: Installing Ubuntu alongside XP

Beans

Installing Ubuntu alongside XP

Sony Desktop from 2004
    Pre-installed C drive 15Gb which has the O/S, program files, and little else. I just added SP3 and it barely fit.

D drive is 165 Gb with about 75 Gb free. I am defraging it as we speak.

My question is, when I boot up the Ubuntu CD and it asks me about partitioning, will it give me the option to make the C drive bigger without disrupting the XP install? I want to have dual boot capabilities. Was just sort of hoping it would give me the chance to make C bigger as it's basically full. Could not even defrag it because it was less than 15% free space. I've deleted all I can.

My plan would be to put Ubuntu on the the D drive, or at least on a new drive that I steal space from D to make. I assume that's how it works. 20 Gb enough for my Linux?

Appreciate any comments. I've very new to this.

Joe

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Installing Ubuntu alongside XP

Better 'shrink' XP ahead of time with Gparted Live CD (less chance of errors):
    http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...kage_id=271779
    Burn the iso to disk and boot from it.
    Right click on XP and choose 'resize' from the menu.

Dr. Fernando Duran Dollenz
    Libertad 584

Beans

what does the shrink do?

Beans
    Distro

Gives you fre unallocated space for Ubuntu. You can continue and on that space create 3 'New' partitions:
    10 GB for '/'
    The rest minus the amount of your RAM for /home
    The amount of your RAM for /swap. Remove Gparted . Plug in your Ubuntu Live CD, install, go 'Manual' at the partitioner and use the already prepared partitions.

Libertad 584

Beans

This seems to be working. I had to shrink down the big D drive, then move it to the right. And then I think it will let me move the C to the right with the space created moving D. I also left about 50 Gb on the end for Linux.

I'll create the 3 drives you mention. Which type? I know it's not NTFS, right?

Thanks for the help. I would have done this a while ago had I just asked.

Joe

Beans
    Distro

You can format it ntfs, but making the partitions I told you about would be better. Having a separate /home allows you to keep your data and settings in case of a reinstall.

Libertad 584

Beans

Ok, so far so good. I shrunk and moved my D drive. but the C Drive is apparently not moveable, so so much for making it bigger. At some point, I probably won't be able to add updates to XP, but maybe I'll be a full time Linux user by then.

For the 3 mounts you suggested, which filesystem do I choose? ext2, ext3 or the others? I noticed one type is called Linux-swap. Is that what I use for the /swap?

Almost there. Thank you.