Thread: [SOLVED] Deleting User Account

Beans

[SOLVED] Deleting User Account

i need to know how to completely delete and then reinstall a user account due to a problem that i'm having with my wife's user account. the bottom panel disappeared and i was able to reinstall another panel but it still isn't working right. if you try to minimize something it just disappears and i just can't get it fixed. so i'm thinking at this point that maybe i need to delete it and start all over again, thanks in advance.
    Mobo-XFX mg-610i-7059 GeForce 7050,Processor-Intel Pentium D945 3.4GHZ DT 800FSB,3GB crucial RAM, HD-Seagate Barracuda 7200.10/16MB SATA-3G 500GB,
    Legalize the Constitution!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Deleting User Account

System, Admin, Users & Groups. Unlock, highlight the user you want to delete and select Delete. Then Add User. You might want to make a copy of her home folder to be able to restore specific configuration settings that will be lost once you delete her account.
    GRUB2

Retired.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by drs305 View Post
    System, Admin, Users & Groups. Unlock, highlight the user you want to delete and select Delete. Then Add User. You might want to make a copy of her home folder to be able to restore specific configuration settings that will be lost once you delete her account.
    ok, but when i tried to set it back up it won't let me enter the info back in. it says that the home directory already exists.
    Mobo-XFX mg-610i-7059 GeForce 7050,Processor-Intel Pentium D945 3.4GHZ DT 800FSB,3GB crucial RAM, HD-Seagate Barracuda 7200.10/16MB SATA-3G 500GB,

Beans

If you want to get ride of the settings you need to delete the home folder (no need to delete the hole user).

If you want to delete all setting and file of the user simply do a:

Code:
    sudo rm /home/usernameoftheuserthatyouhavedelete -R
    It will ask you for a password and will delete everything.

PLEASE BE CAREFULL WHAT YOU TYPE!!!

Beans

ok, thanks guys that seemed to do the trick, now just have to put all the bookmarks and all that stuff back on.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by uzzo2 View Post
    ok, but when i tried to set it back up it won't let me enter the info back in. it says that the home directory already exists.
    You will still have to manually rename or delete the old home folder before creating a new user with the same name. Renaming it will allow you to copy settings to the new home folder if desired.
    Code:
    sudo mv /home/oldusername /home/oldusername-bak
    ... wonderin' why the past 2 messages didn't show for me for 8 minutes...
    Last edited by drs305; August 15th, 2008 at 04:14 PM.
    GRUB2

Retired.