Thread: [SOLVED] Kernel update not updating

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

[SOLVED] Kernel update not updating

Just had a kernel update and did the reboot and Grub only shows the older one. I'm now behind 2 kernel updates, how come?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: Kernel update not updating

When the update was running, you should have been presented with a dialog asking you what to do about a package that wants to "update a user setting" or something to that effect message. It's talking about GRUB here, although I can't remember if it actually mentions GRUB.

The default is to keep the existing user setting...which is why you still only have the old GRUB menu. If you pull down the selection menu the top option is to "Use developers version" and that is the one that updates grub.

Not all is lost. Open a terminal window and enter:

sudo update-grub

supply your user password when asked.

Enjoy!
    regards

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

If you need to investigate the menu.lst, StartUp-Manager is a great gui app to tweak the settings. Menu.lst has settings for how many kernels to view, which one to use as the default, etc.

View the tutorial listed in my signature line to read about the advantages of using StartUp-Manager and how to run it.
    GRUB2

Retired.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rbmorse View Post
    When the update was running, you should have been presented with a dialog asking you what to do about a package that wants to "update a user setting" or something to that effect message. It's talking about GRUB here, although I can't remember if it actually mentions GRUB.

The default is to keep the existing user setting...which is why you still only have the old GRUB menu. If you pull down the selection menu the top option is to "Use developers version" and that is the one that updates grub.

Not all is lost. Open a terminal window and enter:

sudo update-grub

supply your user password when asked.

Enjoy!
    Did that and nothing updated, weird.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by drs305 View Post
    If you need to investigate the menu.lst, StartUp-Manager is a great gui app to tweak the settings. Menu.lst has settings for how many kernels to view, which one to use as the default, etc.

View the tutorial listed in my signature line to read about the advantages of using StartUp-Manager and how to run it.
    Did that and the only OS it shows is the old Kernel.

Noticed that in the terminal window it says that Grub2 is not present?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Riffer View Post
    Did that and the only OS it shows is the old Kernel.

Noticed that in the terminal window it says that Grub2 is not present?
    There was another thread yesterday with pretty much the same issue. Just so I understand, the menu.lst option is howmany=all (or at least more than 1), and it is set up to automatically update the default boot option, and the new kernel is not being added to menu.lst?

If you open StartUp-Manager and set/reset the Advanced/Automatically update default boot option to yes (ticked) it still doesn't add the new kernel?

Maybe time to file or search for a bug report...
    GRUB2

Retired.

Beans
    Distro

Well I fixed it by adding to my grub list manually a bit of a pain. I'll look into a bug report.

Thanks for both your help.