Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Get rid of search time limit

Beans

Get rid of search time limit

I think that the search limit should be revoked. I mistype some searches, and I have to wait a pointless 15 seconds to fix a typo?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Get rid of search time limit

Quote Originally Posted by rossjman1 View Post
    I think that the search limit should be revoked. I mistype some searches, and I have to wait a pointless 15 seconds to fix a typo?
    Those fifteen seconds are not pointless. The server is at a high load as it is, and if that limit was removed it would probably explode. It's there simply to keep load down so people don't constantly run searches on it. If you typo something, sorry, you still have to wait.

Beans

I can understand the server load/limits but search could as well be a lot smarter and either check for obvious typos, or let people change one or two characters.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Master Chief View Post
    I can understand the server load/limits but search could as well be a lot smarter and either check for obvious typos, or let people change one or two characters.
    But that's the problem: it's not that smart. Searching for "compis" generates a search, and searching for "compiz" has to generate a completely different search. They both cause load to rise, and spreading them out by 15 seconds helps keep it down. Really, 15 seconds in my opinion is really generous. Most forums I've been to have had wait limits of a minute or longer.

That said, ubuntu-geek knows more about the search load than me, so I'll leave it up to him.
    Last edited by jpeddicord; August 15th, 2008 at 03:17 AM.

Beans

That's weird, most forums that I go to don't have such a wait at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I would like to see something in between. Perhaps two or three consecutive searches without a wait, after which a 15 or 30 second wait is enforced. I don't know if this is practical from a programming point of view, but it would help those of us who misspell or mistype words when searching.
    Last edited by kaibob; August 15th, 2008 at 03:41 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Just use google with "site:ubuntuforums.org" as one of the search terms. You'll get better results, and won't have any wait when changing the search.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by yabbadabbadont View Post
    just use google with "site:ubuntuforums.org" as one of the search terms. You'll get better results, and won't have any wait when changing the search.
    +1
    Posting code? Use the [code] or [php] tags.
    I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

or any of the search engines which search ubuntu. I would rather see a longer timeout if it means we get less problems with slow access to the forum.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by yabbadabbadont View Post
    Just use google with "site:ubuntuforums.org" as one of the search terms. You'll get better results, and won't have any wait when changing the search.
    I didn't think that was true at first, but it really is a good idea. Google crawls this site very frequently. There have been times when a topic was posted and it was indexed in Google within minutes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast