Thread: Get video of a digital camera

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question Get video of a digital camera

I have a Canon Powershot. When I connect it to my PC with Ubuntu 8.04 it is recognized and I can import using F-spot. I can't browse it because it's not recognized as a mass storage device. I've already accepted this but what I can't seem to figure out is how to get a video from the camera. F-spot imports the photo's fine. (Too bad it doesn't remove photo's from the camera but there are already other threads about this issue) but it leaves the video.

The only work-around I can find is to take out the memory card. Connect it with a card reader and browse it. Is this really the "Ubuntu Human" way to do this or am I missing something here?

Thanks for any help in advance,

Merijn

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Get video of a digital camera

I can't specifically help with your problem other than to suggest you look at digikam as well as f-spot, and see if that helps you, as digikam certainly "sees" videos from my camera, and then opens them in Totem. I know it is a kde program, but personally I prefer it to f-spot, and it's what I use for managing my photos on my gnome box.

I wonder why you don't want to use a card reader, however. I find my card reader is about 4 or 5 times faster than using my camera, which is detected as a mass storage device, so it is the way I always use it.

I seem to recall that Canon cameras are a problem with Linux generally as, of course all the Canon software is written for windows, and there is probably nothing for Linux, and for some reason they are not detected as mass storage devices.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: Get video of a digital camera

have you tried a program like Kino...... video editor that supports importing videos from cameras
    ======================================
    Explosion at pie factory in Huddersfield.
    3.14159265 confirmed dead !!
    ======================================