Thread: Yahoo messenger under wine

Beans

Yahoo messenger under wine

I tried installing yahoo messenger 8.1 under wine 1.0 . It installs ok, but after install, it crashes during login.

Yahoo messenger has features like webcam and voice which is very important. Pidgin is excellent but webcam support is still missing.

Has anyone tried yahoo messenger and the latest wine under Ubuntu hardy ? I am using 64 bit so I wonder if it affects usage of yahoo messenger.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Lightbulb Re: Yahoo messenger under wine

Why not just install the native Linux version of it?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=81895

I use pidgin and I'm pretty happy with it, but if you want yahoo messenger check the link above.

- zipperback

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Lightbulb Re: Yahoo messenger under wine

You might also be interested in GYachi.

http://gyachi.sourceforge.net/intro.shtml

- zipperback

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Thumbs down Re: Yahoo messenger under wine

Use Pidgin Messenger it is better than yahoo messnger
    Ubuntu : Hi......Microsoft : GoodBye.....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Yahoo messenger under wine

Like you mention above Pidgin lacks Webcam support. I use Skype for Linux when I want to use my webcam. Now you can also install Kopete using Synaptic Package Manager which claims to have Webcam support on their latest relases. I can't confirm this since I haven't use it in a while. Good luck!
    "In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?" Having trouble compiling drivers in a different kernel?, Dual Boot Tutorial Ubuntu Hardware Support List

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Remember that even though Kopete is a KDE application, you can install it in Ubuntu with no trouble.
    "In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?" Having trouble compiling drivers in a different kernel?, Dual Boot Tutorial Ubuntu Hardware Support List

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Also, Pidgin does look to finally be getting experimental webcam support - there's a Google Summer of Code project to add the fundamental hooks for voice and video messaging, and to tie them into (initially) GoogleTalk.
    As far as I can tell, this seems to be working quite well, although it's not in the "official" builds yet.