Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Coping With Idiots

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Coping With Idiots

This is mostly just a brain-dump. I'm going crazy, and I was wondering if somebody had already been there and could help me with it.

I've just joined a CompSci course in a not-so-reputed university. I could have made it to a better university had I tried studying a bit harder, but I was too busy poking around in Linux and Python to notice I had a lot of stuff to cover.

My problem is this : most of the people I have met in my university to date are, to put it very bluntly, idiots. I don't mean to say that I'm one of a kind or something. It's just that the people back at school were much more intelligent and rational. Even though very few had any interest in computers, programming or just geekery in general, I could hold intelligent conversation with them.

The guys at my university fall neatly into two categories :
    1. The small-towners - Dazzled by the marvels of the big city. They have no clue what a CS course is, and have joined simply because someone told them it was a good idea. Mostly farmer john types.
    2. The city slickers - They don't give a dingo's behind about CS, the college or the world in general. To them, life begins and ends at Elevates (a nearby club) and their definition of a computer is "something you can access Facebook with". They have an inkling of what CS is about, but they are too cool to worry about it. All they want is the B.Tech. degree so they can get a 9 to 5 job and spend the rest of their lives hanging out at Elevates.

And then there's me. I've been sitting in a corner - alone - trying to look out for people who seem to know what they are up against. I found two people who looked a bit geekish, but I was put off when one of them said "DOS is such a huge language that nobody has managed to explore it yet. It's the best OS for hacking".

It's not the lack of geeks that is killing me. It's the lack of people with a drive to do something. At school I used to talk about technology with my friends, and we used to detail our own private ventures. Some of us were learning how to program, and some of us were trying to make money online. Even those who were not particularly inclined to anything at all had something intelligent to say. The people at my university are planning to simply take their lives and flush it down the toilet.

I like to have fun just as much as the next guy, but my definition of fun is not loud music, Facebook, booze and nightclubs. I'd rather go out with two good friends than with 20 people I just know by name. I'd rather sit and talk about nothing in particular than talk about who's hooking up with whom. I'd rather sit down with a nice book than pump blaring music into my ears.

Has anybody here been in this position before? I need some help out here.
    I am the turnip. No, not a turnip, the turnip. Visit my blog here.

I need help with my Code Dojo. If you're interested, please drop me a line.

Beans

Re: Coping With Idiots

Quote Originally Posted by ankursethi View Post
    My problem is this : most of the people I have met in my university to date are, to put it very bluntly, idiots. I don't mean to say that I'm one of a kind or something. It's just that the people back at school were much more intelligent and rational. Even though very few had any interest in computers, programming or just geekery in general, I could hold intelligent conversation with them.
    Not only at universities, but at work too.

Now, go out buy some Dilbert books and realise that you are probably going to be mocking your bosses who got into management because they couldn't do computers but think they know a lot.

Beans
    Hidden!

Welcome to the real world. No matter where you go, there will always be someone similar to the "idiots" you describe.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans

I could have made it to a better university had I tried studying a bit harder, but I was too busy poking around in Linux and Python to notice I had a lot of stuff to cover.
    Ironic!

the next person seating next to you could most probably have that alibi, well not exactly, but somewhere along that line.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Yep. I see it every time I take a CS class. I have been picking away at a degree for many years at a big well known university. Granted there are a few sharp kids that have drive, but 95% are useless, and yet will get good jobs at a big company because they need bodies to fill the positions.

I see the types break down as this:
    1. The party boys - more interested in getting drunk and or stoned than study. They are net savvy, but think of themselves as having mad skillz. They consider 30 minutes of work real effort.
    2. The business wanabe - sees themselves as becoming upper management material, can talk the game but couldn't write a while statement if their life depended on it.
    3. The girls - just once I would like to see a female student that knew how to code, or knew how to structure a database (in school). They depend on waving their breasts in a guy's face to help her with all of her work. Seriously, I want to at least one time see a girl in the class that had skill.

I know I sound harsh, but there are classes where I am the only one that seems to put effort into my work, and pride.

Oh well. I have accepted that things will not change. Instructors are under pressure to pass students, and the students know it.

You are not alone my friend. Just grin and bear it. One of your instructors will likely see your talent and hook you up with a really good job.
    sudo: The original Jedi mind trick...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Dog View Post
    3. The girls - just once I would like to see a female student that knew how to code, or knew how to structure a database (in school). They depend on waving their breasts in a guy's face to help her with all of her work. Seriously, I want to at least one time see a girl in the class that had skill.
    I think you'll find the percentage of girls who are serious about what they are studying is the same or higher than the males in the same class. Because females are less numerous, it may give you less to observe, but that is offensive...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Just stick it out and let them amuse you. If nothing else this means an easier class setting and work load for you and more time for you to pursue your own interests. I've grown fond of working with php/mysql and bash scripting because of this very same situation.

Beans

I like to have fun just as much as the next guy, but my definition of fun is not loud music, Facebook, booze and nightclubs. I'd rather go out with two good friends than with 20 people I just know by name. I'd rather sit and talk about nothing in particular than talk about who's hooking up with whom. I'd rather sit down with a nice book than pump blaring music into my ears.

yeah, it is just a different definition of fun and life.
    as much as you think they are wasting their life, they also think you are wasting your life in front of computers and books.

and the sad thing is that, they might become your boss someday because they are somewhat more "socially adaptable" with their smoooth-talking skills that somehow works well in modern corporate environment. meanwhile, the geeky tech guy like us will always be the backroom boy.

cheers...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

This is mostly just a brain-dump. I'm going crazy, and I was wondering if somebody had already been there and could help me with it.

I've just joined a CompSci course in a not-so-reputed university. I could have made it to a better university had I tried studying a bit harder, but I was too busy poking around in Linux and Python to notice I had a lot of stuff to cover.

The guys at my university fall neatly into two categories :
    1. The small-towners - Dazzled by the marvels of the big city. They have no clue what a CS course is, and have joined simply because someone told them it was a good idea. Mostly farmer john types.
    2. The city slickers - They don't give a dingo's behind about CS, the college or the world in general. To them, life begins and ends at Elevates (a nearby club) and their definition of a computer is "something you can access Facebook with". They have an inkling of what CS is about, but they are too cool to worry about it. All they want is the B.Tech. degree so they can get a 9 to 5 job and spend the rest of their lives hanging out at Elevates.

And then there's me. I've been sitting in a corner - alone - trying to look out for people who seem to know what they are up against. I found two people who looked a bit geekish, but I was put off when one of them said "DOS is such a huge language that nobody has managed to explore it yet. It's the best OS for hacking".

It's not the lack of geeks that is killing me. It's the lack of people with a drive to do something. At school I used to talk about technology with my friends, and we used to detail our own private ventures. Some of us were learning how to program, and some of us were trying to make money online. Even those who were not particularly inclined to anything at all had something intelligent to say. The people at my university are planning to simply take their lives and flush it down the toilet.

+1

I Would step into your shoes soon. Soon joining an a not so reputed college for CS Engg.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Just ignore the idiots and continue to be the best nerd you can be. Later it will pay off when you are the idiots boss.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast