Thread: Backup question

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Backup question

I was wondering if anyone knows of any backup utilities that can be configured on a server that automatically backs up certain files from a host computer whenever that particular host logs onto the network?? I doubt this is possible but I thought it would be worth a shot.

Also, My server is running 7.04 with LAMP, the host would be a variety of OS X Leopard and Windows Vista.

Thanks
    AMD X2 3800+ ATI X1600 running 7.10 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Backup question

That sort of thing would normally be initiated from the host computer, wouldn't it?
    If people were nicer, I'd answer more queries here!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by guilly View Post
    I was wondering if anyone knows of any backup utilities that can be configured on a server that automatically backs up certain files from a host computer whenever that particular host logs onto the network?? I doubt this is possible but I thought it would be worth a shot.
    You could probably write a script that tests to see if hosts are connected and if they are, performs the backup. Then you could make it a cron job to happen how ever often you think necessary.

http://www.unixgeeks.org/security/ne...ix/cron-1.html

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Pro-reason View Post
    That sort of thing would normally be initiated from the host computer, wouldn't it?
    I was thinking the same thing as well but I thought it was worth a shot any ways.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by powerpleb View Post
    You could probably write a script that tests to see if hosts are connected and if they are, performs the backup. Then you could make it a cron job to happen how ever often you think necessary.

http://www.unixgeeks.org/security/ne...ix/cron-1.html
    humm never thought of that. I'll check out the link thanks. Now I'm assuming the folders would need to be shared some how from the host p.c in order for the server to be able to access them correct?

thanks again

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

my guess is you would need a script in conjunction with the rsync command.
    Registered Linux User: 482377
    MacBook (1,1) - OS X Leopard
    ASUS P5LD2 - Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz - 2GB Corsair RAM - Nvidia 8800GT - Ubuntu 9.04 / Windows 7 Professional