Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dual Monitor Dual Workspace

Beans

Re: Dual Monitor Dual Workspace

i was just thinking, how could you control it?
    Two workspaces -> one keyboard and mouse, it could be tricky.
    I've seen the same thing that you want, only in windows...
    it could be done in ubuntu for sure!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I understand exactly why you would want two independent workspaces. I like to run apps full screen (not stretched across two monitors but full screen in one) and I hate messing with resizing. I have certain apps I always load on a specific monitor and I like them full screen. For example I run e-mail full screen on my right monitor and vi client full screen on my left. No resizing of screens to make them fit.

Now that I have said that the resolution to this issue is fairly simple. The key is to run the nvidia control panel with sudo.

1. Open a terminal (see I am doing it now. This is open on the right and terminal on the left)
    2. type "sudo nvidia-settings"
    3. Enter your password
    4. Select "X Server Display Configuration" (I am assuming both monitors are enable and that Twinview will stretch across them)
    5. Select the "Configure" button
    6. Select "Separate X screen)
    7. Select "OK"
    8. Select "Save to X Configuration File"
    9. Reboot

Once you have rebooted you should have two independent workspaces.

If you don't run this with sudo and instead access it by System/Administration/NVIDIA X Server Settings then when you attempt to save the x configuration file you will be denied.

I just went through this and it worked for me.

Beans

This depends what is meant by workspaces. In Ubuntu 'workspace' refers to the multiple-workspace model, most easily illustrated by Compiz' desktop cube (each face is one workspace).

With Separate X Screen configuration, its slightly different. Each monitor is a separate X Screen (or separate X Server), each with its own set of workspaces etc. The problem with that is, unlike Ubuntu workspaces, it isn't possible to transfer windows from workspace to workspace, and program switchers only list programs running on their own workspace.

I use separate X Screen myself, but its not necessarily what the OP and others want.

Beans

I agree, I don't think it is possible to every first workspace to monitor 1 and every second workspace to monitor 2...

BTW 1680(2) = 3360

Anyway I thought I would just post my xorg.conf just in case it might help someone. I have dual 22 inch monitors with a nVidia 9800 gtx.

Code:
    Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "Default Layout"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load           "glx"
    EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
        Option         "Xinerama" "0"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        # generated from default
        Identifier     "Keyboard0"
        Driver         "kbd"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        # generated from default
        Identifier     "Mouse0"
        Driver         "mouse"
        Option         "Protocol" "auto"
        Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
        Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
        Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier     "Configured Monitor"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier     "Monitor0"
        VendorName     "Unknown"
        ModelName      "Samsung SyncMaster"
        HorizSync       30.0 - 81.0
        VertRefresh     56.0 - 75.0
    EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier     "Configured Video Device"
        Driver         "nvidia"
        Option         "NoLogo" "True"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier     "Device0"
        Driver         "nvidia"
        VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
        BoardName      "GeForce 9800 GTX/9800 GTX+"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier     "Default Screen"
        Device         "Configured Video Device"
        Monitor        "Configured Monitor"
        DefaultDepth    24
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier     "Screen0"
        Device         "Device0"
        Monitor        "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth    24
        Option         "TwinView" "1"
        Option         "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP-0"
        Option         "metamodes" "DFP-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+0, DFP-1: nvidia-auto-select +1680+0"
        SubSection     "Display"
            Depth       24
        EndSubSection
    EndSection
    Hope this helps!

Beans
    Hidden!

I've been looking for a way to do this, but it doesn't seem possible. Having the ability to do this would be very useful. It sucks to have an extended screen. I'd rather have two workspace, the first one my monitor the second my TV.

Beans

Hi all,
    I need to do this too because of:

1- I have CRT monitor to do my works,
    2- I have a second large monitor To display advertisements in our shop, in behind of my head and forward to people who come inside from the door.

then I can successfully install them by nvidia-settings as TwinView, there is no problem anything works nice.

an I can drag and drop windows between two screens.

but, if we can assign "X workspace 1" to "monitor 1"
    and "workspace 2" to "monitor 2"

the switch from 1 to 2 can be faster and easier.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by jtliii View Post
    I understand exactly why you would want two independent workspaces. I like to run apps full screen (not stretched across two monitors but full screen in one) and I hate messing with resizing. I have certain apps I always load on a specific monitor and I like them full screen. For example I run e-mail full screen on my right monitor and vi client full screen on my left. No resizing of screens to make them fit.

Now that I have said that the resolution to this issue is fairly simple. The key is to run the nvidia control panel with sudo.

1. Open a terminal (see I am doing it now. This is open on the right and terminal on the left)
    3. Enter your password
    4. Select "X Server Display Configuration" (I am assuming both monitors are enable and that Twinview will stretch across them)
    5. Select the "Configure" button
    6. Select "Separate X screen)
    7. Select "OK"
    8. Select "Save to X Configuration File"
    9. Reboot

Once you have rebooted you should have two independent workspaces.

If you don't run this with sudo and instead access it by System/Administration/NVIDIA X Server Settings then when you attempt to save the x configuration file you will be denied.

I just went through this and it worked for me.
    Tried this on karmic, no luck... still won't save to the xorg file when run as sudo.

Help would be appreciated.

Edit: got it working by installing the latest nvidia driver manually.
    Last edited by d0b33; November 20th, 2009 at 12:28 PM.
    I'm just another Ubuntu statistic

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by jtliii View Post
    I think you're supposed to use gksudo for graphical dialog boxes and programs and such...?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have the same issue (feature request?).
    The main problem (I think) is that the virtual workspace switcher is buggy (/not feature complete) in this regard.

I would like the switcher to behave in the following way with any dual (or more) head setup (be it separate X screens,xinerama,xrandr,bigdesktop,twinview, etc etc):

• it should setup (at least) a row of virtual workspaces for each screen.
    • all workspaces should be visible from all screens as to enable drag&drop in the switcher from one screen to/from another.
      or,said in another way, all switchers, regardless of the screen they are placed on, should display and control all workspaces of all screens.But they should not "sync" the switching of workspaces from different screens, instead they should be able to switch them independently
    • each screen should be able to have its own independent number of workspaces (columns/rows)
    • it should remember the last multi-display configuration (e.g. after unplugging and replugging the additional screen(s) or a restart)

I made a little simple scheme for this to be as clear as possible (see attachment).

This seems the obvious way (to me) to handle workspaces on a multi-display setup and lots of people seem to have issues with the current way.
    There are lots of (as old as from 2007) bug reports across launchpad and gnome bugzilla but they are all confusing/messy (suboptimal descriptions) and I could not find any solution or workaround.

launchpad bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ck/+bug/110899

For reference I am using Twinview on a dual head setup with an Nvidia 8600GS.Using the 190.42 binary-only driver on Karmic.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ]v[10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Question Re: Dual Monitor Dual Workspace

This is a feature i'd be very interested in having (alternate workspaces able to display on different monitors).

jtliii: I know how to setup separate x screens; however, everything displayed must be setup in that screen, which is hard when the other monitor is not in front of you.

Are there any work-arounds? Is there any way to view an x-screen from another monitor? Or toss applications from one x-screen space to another?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast