Thread: fixing keyboard mapping

Beans

fixing keyboard mapping

i have tried the xev to get the keycode but how to set it to work with "shift" key to output these symbols.

i cannot get the "~", "percentage", "^", "underscore", "plus" or "bar" symbol when i press shift "`", "5", "6", "-", "=", or "\" respectively

help will be much appreciated

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Talking Re: fixing keyboard mapping

Have you tried navigating to System>Preferences>Keyboard, and then choosing your keyboard layout from the drop-down menu?

Regards,
    Roger
    There are only two things in life that are mandatory.
    Birth and Death.
    Everything else is optional.
    Ubuntu User #10495

Beans

Re: fixing keyboard mapping

yes indeed i tried a few different keyboards.

Beans

anyone

please help

Beans

When I was trying to manually map my keyboard to run games, I eventually used Qjoypad. It took me about 2 hours to map all the keys editing the Qjoypad hidden data file as Ubuntu and also Google were no help in this case, but I eventually got all of the keys. I subsequently was clued into the XEV method. But if you find you've got no other way, you might try this method. I've just changed over to 8.04, but if you decide you want to go that route, I can reboot back into Ubuntu 7.10 and I think I can get you an idea of how to manually (trial and error) find some if not all of your missing keys. Qjoypad has an easy way to map keys, but it didn't work for me with my keyboard. Qjoypad's manual method (thanks to the developer for the guidance) did do the trick. Cheers.