Ubuntu user from 18.2.2008
    Oh, my studio and my band

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: EMU 0404 USB new thread

Quote Originally Posted by bofphile View Post
    Hi,

Thanks for the clarification. I thought the 0404 USB device only had some extra connectivity (S/PDIF I/O ...), and therefore would work the same way as the 0202 box.

Regarding the development of the driver, the last time I saw anything going on was on the alsa-dev mailing list: http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux....24/focus=51861

From there I thought those devices would work without problem at 44.1kHz/16bits on the following alsa-driver release. But even with Intrepid Alpha 6, I still have a problem (mainly a glitch every 30 secs or so). The weird thing is my device worked flawlessly on Fedora 9 last time I tried.

Do you think we can still hope to have a full featured driver in the near future ? Or is there not enough demand to develop it?
    THX for that link. I digged a bit into it.

The discussion ended by the time they figured out that they need the control codes to set the registers.

I don't think it is too difficult to write a quirk for that card if you have these control codes.
    And as I said, EMU stated over here http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=157 that they have delivered these to ALSA development.

I think there are quite some people around -including me - who'd like to get the EMU driver. The 0404 USB is well known for its sound quality.

Cheers
    Last edited by klss; September 22nd, 2008 at 07:14 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by klss View Post
    Try my latest script version - http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=104 .

You can just run it again.

I added some comments inside the script, especially how to log the output. This way you can see if something went wrong.

Please let me know how it worked.
    Hi! Your script worked flawlessly this time. The scratches disappeared and overall the sound system seems more stable, but still after approx 30 minutes of playing the system started hanging (first the sound stops working and then eventually all running applications stop to respond).

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Mourner View Post
    but still after approx 30 minutes of playing the system started hanging (first the sound stops working and then eventually all running applications stop to respond).
    Hmmh. Never happened to me.

30 minutes is quite a long time. Obvious problems usually occur within seconds.

Is it a sporadic problem? Perhaps you should try to trace it down a bit more.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Did I undestand this right?

If I run that script from klss, my 0404 USB should work?
    My PC
    Ubuntu user from 18.2.2008
    Oh, my studio and my band

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by uhappo View Post
    Did I undestand this right?

If I run that script from klss, my 0404 USB should work?
    Yep. It'll work.44.1/16 only. Flawless. Playback only!
    SPDIF/Toslink works via plughw:X,1

I am trying hard to get in touch with the ALSA designers.
    I still havn't figured out who actually received the data
    from EMU.

Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I am trying hard to get in touch with the ALSA designers.
    I still havn't figured out who actually received the data
    from EMU.

Cheers
    Isn't it a developer named James who received the datasheets from E-Mu ?
    https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/wi....php?wakka=emu

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bofphile View Post
    Isn't it a developer named James who received the datasheets from E-Mu ?
    https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/wi....php?wakka=emu
    Yes, that's him and at least one other guy. I finally got in touch with the guys at ALSA.

They - these two persons only - do have the datasheets available, but are not allowed to share them.
    They estimate the effort to get the driver developed a week of continuous work.
    Since they have only hours during the weekends for designing the drivers - it'll probably take a while - they have not even started yet.

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers
    Last edited by klss; September 30th, 2008 at 08:26 AM.

Beans

Hmmh. Never happened to me.

30 minutes is quite a long time. Obvious problems usually occur within seconds.

Is it a sporadic problem? Perhaps you should try to trace it down a bit more.
    It occurs after a couple of tens of minutes playing music with Rhytmbox (if I don't play music, it always works fine) - haven't checked this with another player though, will do this soon.

First the sound stops, then every new launched application doesn't respond (e.g. Firefox that was launched before the hang happened is working, but Terminal or FF when closed and launched again just hang immediately after launching). Even shutdown doesn't work. So the system becomes totally unusable until a full reset.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Mourner View Post
    It occurs after a couple of tens of minutes playing music with Rhytmbox (if I don't play music, it always works fine) - haven't checked this with another player though, will do this soon.

First the sound stops, then every new launched application doesn't respond (e.g. Firefox that was launched before the hang happened is working, but Terminal or FF when closed and launched again just hang immediately after launching). Even shutdown doesn't work. So the system becomes totally unusable until a full reset.
    Are you running a rt-kernel (Ubuntu-Studio)? Do you have network traffic ongoing at the time the system hangs up?

Any strange messages in the logfiles (syslog,messages,kern.log,dmesg) under /var/log?

Cheers

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast