Okay, I did your test and this the result.
- First, at step 4, I had to kill "mixer_applet2" and "pulseaudio" to properly unload the module.
- As you said in step 8, the "Director Monitor" LED went off (I tried with stereo) when I loaded the test module.
- This is the output of "sudo cat /var/log/messages | grep Foo_EMU" (I had to delete the .log of messages because it couldn't find the file otherwise):
[ 897.631419] Foo_EMU_0202: Starting module....
[ 897.631687] Foo_EMU_0202: Get current samplerate: SUCCESS: 0x0
[ 897.631934] Foo_EMU_0202: Set samplerate: SUCCESS: 0x4
[ 897.632053] Foo_EMU_0202: Get new samplerate: SUCCESS: 0x4
[ 926.166062] Foo_EMU_0202: Unloading module....