Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sweet Jebus when will it stop

Beans

Re: Sweet Jebus when will it stop

If you want smaller icons, then when in nautilus press:
    Ctrl - , to zoom out.
    It can also be set in nautilus:
    Edit --> Preferences --> Icon View Defaults: make it less than 100% (25% / 50% / 75%)

To help fix up your video problems, you may want to:
    Press Alt F2 , then enter in:
    Code:
    gksu displayconfig-gtk
    Here you can select the graphics drivers to use, the refresh rate, widescreen / no widescreen, and your resolution.

If you have driver problems (AMD / ATI seems to attract driver problems), then install the envyng-gtk package. (Open up a terminal, type in sudo aptitude install envyng-gtk)
    Once installed, go to Applications --> System Tools --> EnvyNG
    Follow the prompts and let it grab the latest driver for you, reboot, then you may have to configure your screen again with gksu displayconfig-gtk

There's a chance that deleting your thumbnails cache may fix up your garbage bin icon display problems. Deleting the cache just means that nautilus has to read through all of your videos / pictures in folders again.
    To do this, Places --> Home Folder
    Press Ctrl h
    Delete the directory named .thumbnails and its contents.
    Last edited by Rhubarb; August 13th, 2008 at 03:32 AM.
    Work smart, not hard.

Beans

Last night there was a demon sitting on my chest whispering "retarded" in my ear all night, so I am mildly depressed today. Onward to the inward.

Thank you mb_webguy, that informative information was most helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhubarb View Post
    If you want smaller icons, then when in nautilus press:
    The unfortunate part of that, is it shrinks all thumbnails down to a standard size, instead of allowing smaller icons to just not be blown up for silly reasons unnecessary to me. They are small images, let's just accept them that way, there is no need to enlarge them.

To help fix up your video problems, you may want to:
    Press Alt F2 , then enter in:
    Code:
    gksu displayconfig-gtk
    That did the trick, however after about 2 days it magically reset itself to 60HZ, at least I know how to fix it now, thanks to you.

There's a chance that deleting your thumbnails cache may fix up your garbage bin icon display problems. Deleting the cache just means that nautilus has to read through all of your videos / pictures in folders again.
    To do this, Places --> Home Folder
    Press Ctrl h
    Delete the directory named .thumbnails and its contents.
    It's most unfortunate, I still have the Trash Can error and thumbnails do not show there. I appreciate all your help though.
    Last edited by I_eat_candy; August 15th, 2008 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Was not is, WAS

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The unfortunate part of that, is it shrinks all thumbnails down to a standard size, instead of allowing smaller icons to just not be blown up for silly reasons unnecessary to me. They are small images, let's just accept them that way, there is no need to enlarge them.
    I agree this is very annoying! Fortunately it is down to be fixed in the next release of Nautilus that will ship with 8.10

Major changes in 2.23.5 are:...
    * Thumbnailing changes
    * Never scale up any thumbnails
    (from this site)

Beans
    Hidden!

i_eat_candy, not letting the user open items from trash is truly retarded. I totally agree with you. Given the kind of problems you have, I feel that Gnome is not for you. Gnome is the environment you get when you install Ubuntu (instead of e.g. Kubuntu/Xubuntu).

Gnome is for the user who does not have much of an opinion about how to use certain computer artifacts (e.g. trash, window borders, virtual desktops etc.). Gnome pretty much forces the users to use the artifacts in its own way. If you do not want to use it in Gnome approved way, hard luck.

I strongly encourage you to try Kubuntu. You do not need to uninstall the present setup. Just when you are ready for a few hundreds of MBs download, install kubuntu-desktop from synaptic or Add/Remove Software. Then you will be presented with a choice when you log in: whether to log in to Gnome environment, or KDE environment. All your files that you created in Gnome will remain accessible in KDE (including Trash). Only interface will change. Maybe you will grow to like KDE.

Good luck.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by beesthorpe View Post
    I agree this is very annoying! Fortunately it is down to be fixed in the next release of Nautilus that will ship with 8.10

(from this site)
    That is wonderful news, I sincerely disliked that "feature" the moment I first saw it. Thank you

bingoUV I appreciate that information. Thank you for letting me know there's a simple alternative. Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12