Page 3 of 53 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Account Lease time / Content filtering

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Account Lease time / Content filtering

Quote Originally Posted by crjackson View Post
    If I knew how to do a feature request to Ubuntu I ask for something like this to built in to the GUI where you set up new user accounts. It would be great if you could just include some time limits and time restrictions on the user accounts them selves when setting up the account.
    I agree that would be a huge improvement on security (at home anyways). I also have 3 children underage so something like this is very much needed.
    System Specs: AMD Athlon X2 5000+ 3.0GHrz dual-core, XFX GeForce 8200 MB, 3.0GB DDR2, GeForce 9800GT 1024MB graphics card, 320GB hdd, 620GB hdd, Coolmaster CM690 case, Ubuntu 11.04 Ubuntu # 28694

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Ok, this thread is great! I looked over the script, and must admit, I'm not that script capable! I don't understand where you would configure the username and who is limited by this script. How do you set the limited users?

Shane

As for content filtering, I personally use opendns.com with ddclient. You do need to setup an account with opendns.com but it works excellent, and I have been very pleased with it.

PSS: Oh, I wrote a very simplistic script that limits user times to 45 minutes for KDE desktop (not quite as intense as this script) here it is if anyone can use it or, make it better:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    # This script will log out a user after 45 minutes on the computer, it requires kshutdown to be installed on the machine. 

sleep 35m

kdialog --title "You have 10 minutes left" --passivepopup "10 minutes remaining" 5
    sleep 8m

kdialog --title "You have 2 minutes left" --passivepopup "Please start closing all windows" 10
    sleep 110

kdialog --title "You have 10 seconds left" --passivepopup "Close all Windows now." 5
    sleep 10

kshutdown -l

exit 0
    Last edited by shane2peru; August 18th, 2008 at 04:38 AM. Reason: add info

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Account Lease time - Timekeeper Developement

Quote Originally Posted by shane2peru View Post
    Ok, this thread is great! I looked over the script, and must admit, I'm not that script capable! I don't understand where you would configure the username and who is limited by this script. How do you set the limited users?

Shane

As for content filtering, I personally use opendns.com with ddclient. You do need to setup an account with opendns.com but it works excellent, and I have been very pleased with it.

PSS: Oh, I wrote a very simplistic script that limits user times to 45 minutes for KDE desktop (not quite as intense as this script) here it is if anyone can use it or, make it better:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    # This script will log out a user after 45 minutes on the computer, it requires kshutdown to be installed on the machine. 

sleep 35m

kdialog --title "You have 10 minutes left" --passivepopup "10 minutes remaining" 5
    sleep 8m

kdialog --title "You have 2 minutes left" --passivepopup "Please start closing all windows" 10
    sleep 110

kdialog --title "You have 10 seconds left" --passivepopup "Close all Windows now." 5
    sleep 10

kshutdown -l

exit 0
    Here is the timekpr blog with some basic instructions. Read that first then the rest of this thread will make sense to you I think.
    Last edited by crjackson; October 1st, 2008 at 10:42 PM.
    Mac Pro 5,1 6-Core 3.33GHz, 48GB, Sapphire RX580
    Optical -- Apple Super Drive & MCE Internal Blu-ray
    512GB SM 970 Pro NVMe/HighPoint 7101A/10.14.5
    SonnetAllegro Pro USB 3/ 4TB WD/4TB - Barracuda

Beans
    Distro

Here is a link to my blog with some basic instructions. Read that first then the rest of this thread will make sense to you I think.
    Ahhh, that was extremely helpfull! Thanks for that link and blog! Now I can setup accounts for my kids.

Shane

Beans
    Distro

Ahhh, that was extremely helpfull! Thanks for that link and blog! Now I can setup accounts for my kids.

Shane
    Glad it helped. Maybe if the concept becomes popular enough the devs will create a professional streamlined version built into the Accounts GUI some day.
    Last edited by crjackson; October 1st, 2008 at 10:43 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Glad it helped. Maybe if the concept becomes popular enough the devs will create a professional streamlined version built into the Accounts GUI some day.
    Yes, we are slipping behind M$ on this, because I heard that they already have this setup on Vista, or something of the nature that limits usage. I think it is called parental controls or something. I no longer have M$ on any of my computers, so I'm not sure, just heard about it.

Shane

Beans
    Distro

Yes, we are slipping behind M$ on this, because I heard that they already have this setup on Vista, or something of the nature that limits usage. I think it is called parental controls or something. I no longer have M$ on any of my computers, so I'm not sure, just heard about it.

Shane
    Well, if the devs have no interest, I'm sure someone here will eventually make a GUI version for dummies like me. I've seen many similar requests for something like this that dates back 3-4 years. It will happen some day I'm sure.
    Last edited by crjackson; October 1st, 2008 at 10:43 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Is anyone familiar enough with Edubuntu (Educational Ubuntu) or Ubuntu CE (Christian Edition) to know if something similar is already set up?

Quickly scanning the home page; UbuntuCE "includes fully integrated web content parental controls powered by Dansguardian. A graphical tool to adjust the parental control settings has also been developed specifically for Ubuntu Christian Edition."

Edubuntu has been around a couple years, and their is also

K12 Linux Terminal Server Project
    http://k12ltsp.org/contents.html

This is based on Read Hat and the LTSP

http://www.ltsp.org/

I'ms sure the school systems have grappled with this problem, perhaps they have a solutuion.

And MAJOR THANKS to .nedberg for his work.
    I hope every parent who benefits from his work will consider "tossing him a fin"/ Isn't your child worth it?

Sorry I can't do more legwork, I'm off to the firehouse for my shift.

E Galvan, Lt BFD

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

.nedberg

I added the line /usr/local/bin/timekpr & to /etc/rc.local but it's not working.

What am I doing wrong here?
    Is the script called /usr/local/bin/timekpr? Not /usr/local/bin/timekpr.sh? I will give it a go when I get home from work and the kids are in bed, to see if I can find the problem.

EDIT: I had a look at your blog and this seems to be the reason to your problem if that is exactly what you did!

@egalvan
    I work at a school myself and this is not something we would use. Why limit the students log in time? dansguardian on the other hand would be interresting.
    Last edited by .nedberg; August 18th, 2008 at 01:28 PM. Reason: More info
    Open mind, open source!
    Keep control of computer usage with timekpr
    Screensaver for Amarok? AmarokScreenSaver
    My (Norwegian) blog about motorcycles and MotoGP

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If you look here you will se that you can create a file at /var/lib/timekpr/<username> to limit an account. In that file you put the total amount of seconds that user is allowed to be logged in each day. A user without a file like this will not be limited.
    Open mind, open source!
    Keep control of computer usage with timekpr
    Screensaver for Amarok? AmarokScreenSaver
    My (Norwegian) blog about motorcycles and MotoGP

Page 3 of 53 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast