Page 8 of 53 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 527

Thread: Account Lease time / Content filtering

  1. #71
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Charlotte, NC, USA
    Beans
    3,121
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Account Lease time - Timekeeper Developement

    Quote Originally Posted by steve_m1999 View Post
    I cannot get the installer to work I think that I have followed the directions. Here is what comes up in terminal window.

    steve@mpc:~$ cd Desktop
    steve@mpc:~/Desktop$ sudo bash timekpr_install.sh
    --11:33:56-- http://nedberg.net/timekpr/addtime.sh
    ' => `/usr/local/bin/addtime.sh
    Resolving nedberg.net... 195.47.247.59
    Connecting to nedberg.net|195.47.247.59|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 377 [text/x-sh]

    100%[====================================>] 377 --.--K/s

    ' saved [377/377]B/s) - `/usr/local/bin/addtime.sh

    --11:33:56-- http://nedberg.net/timekpr/extendlimits.sh
    ' => `/usr/local/bin/extendlimits.sh
    Resolving nedberg.net... 195.47.247.59
    Connecting to nedberg.net|195.47.247.59|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 368 [text/x-sh]

    100%[====================================>] 368 --.--K/s

    ' saved [368/368]B/s) - `/usr/local/bin/extendlimits.sh

    --11:33:57-- http://nedberg.net/timekpr/timekpr.sh
    ' => `/usr/local/bin/timekpr.sh
    Resolving nedberg.net... 195.47.247.59
    Connecting to nedberg.net|195.47.247.59|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 6,056 (5.9K) [text/x-sh]

    100%[====================================>] 6,056 29.25K/s

    ' saved [6056/6056]s) - `/usr/local/bin/timekpr.sh

    --11:33:57-- http://nedberg.net/timekpr/timekprGUI.py
    ' => `/usr/local/bin/timekprGUI.py
    Resolving nedberg.net... 195.47.247.59
    Connecting to nedberg.net|195.47.247.59|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 10,763 (11K) [text/x-python]

    100%[====================================>] 10,763 33.47K/s

    ' saved [10763/10763] - `/usr/local/bin/timekprGUI.py

    --11:33:58-- http://nedberg.net/timekpr/Timekpr.glade
    ' => `/usr/local/bin/Timekpr.glade
    Resolving nedberg.net... 195.47.247.59
    Connecting to nedberg.net|195.47.247.59|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 40,929 (40K) [text/plain]

    100%[====================================>] 40,929 37.96K/s

    ' saved [40929/40929] - `/usr/local/bin/Timekpr.glade

    chmod: cannot access `/usr/local/bin/addtime.sh': No such file or directory
    chmod: cannot access `/usr/local/bin/extendlimits.sh': No such file or directory
    chmod: cannot access `/usr/local/bin/timekpr.sh': No such file or directory
    timekpr_install.sh: line 10: syntax error near unexpected token `fi'
    timekpr_install.sh: line 10: `fi'


    It does create files addtime, extendtime, timekpr.sh, timekpr.glade, timekprGUI.py.

    I am a nubie so I would appreciate any help.
    Thanks Steve
    The problem seems to be that you don't have a directory on your system already called '/usr/local/bin/'.

    Download the script under my last post called timekpr_install.sh and run it with sudo bash. I just modified the script a little to create the folders your need.
    Last edited by crjackson; October 1st, 2008 at 11:01 PM.
    Mac Pro 5,1 6-Core@3.33 GHz, 48 GB, ATI HD 5870
    Optical-Apple Super Drive & MCE Internal Blu-ray
    1 TB WD, 5 TB Barracuda(s), 500 GB Hitachi RAID0
    HP RocketU 1144C USB 3.0 Raid / Inateck USB 3.0

  2. #72
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Masschusetts
    Beans
    1,510
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: Account Lease time / Content filtering

    Quote Originally Posted by crjackson View Post
    The problem seems to be that you don't have a directory on your system already called '/usr/local/bin/'.

    Download the script under my last post called timekpr_install.sh and run it with sudo bash. I just modified the script a little to create the folders your need.
    note: haven't read the whole thread...

    seems like there's another issue with the logic in the script itself.

    Code:
    timekpr_install.sh: line 10: syntax error near unexpected token `fi'
    timekpr_install.sh: line 10: `fi'
    Registered Linux User: 482377
    MacBook (1,1) - OS X Leopard
    ASUS P5LD2 - Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz - 2GB Corsair RAM - Nvidia 8800GT - Ubuntu 9.04 / Windows 7 Professional

  3. #73
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Charlotte, NC, USA
    Beans
    3,121
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Account Lease time - Timekeeper Developement

    Quote Originally Posted by DGortze380 View Post
    note: haven't read the whole thread...

    seems like there's another issue with the logic in the script itself.

    Code:
    timekpr_install.sh: line 10: syntax error near unexpected token `fi'
    timekpr_install.sh: line 10: `fi'
    Did you try it again? I got that error too at first and it went away after re-saving with gedit.

    I just downloaded the file and ran it on a freshly installed system. It worked perfectly for me.
    Last edited by crjackson; October 1st, 2008 at 11:02 PM.
    Mac Pro 5,1 6-Core@3.33 GHz, 48 GB, ATI HD 5870
    Optical-Apple Super Drive & MCE Internal Blu-ray
    1 TB WD, 5 TB Barracuda(s), 500 GB Hitachi RAID0
    HP RocketU 1144C USB 3.0 Raid / Inateck USB 3.0

  4. #74
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Beans
    3

    Re: Account Lease time / Content filtering

    That seemed to work but I had to gksu nautilus to get it to run in terminal.
    Thanks for the help
    Steve

  5. #75
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Charlotte, NC, USA
    Beans
    3,121
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Account Lease time - Timekeeper Developement

    Quote Originally Posted by steve_m1999 View Post
    That seemed to work but I had to gksu nautilus to get it to run in terminal.
    Thanks for the help
    Steve
    I should have mentioned that. That's exactly how I do it. I make a bookmark in the "root nautilus" menu so I can got straight to it.

    I'm hoping that .nedberg will return when he has the time and help make a menu launcher for it.
    Last edited by crjackson; October 1st, 2008 at 11:03 PM.
    Mac Pro 5,1 6-Core@3.33 GHz, 48 GB, ATI HD 5870
    Optical-Apple Super Drive & MCE Internal Blu-ray
    1 TB WD, 5 TB Barracuda(s), 500 GB Hitachi RAID0
    HP RocketU 1144C USB 3.0 Raid / Inateck USB 3.0

  6. #76
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Charlotte, NC, USA
    Beans
    3,121
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Account Lease time - Timekeeper Developement

    Post no longer needed.
    Last edited by crjackson; October 1st, 2008 at 11:04 PM.
    Mac Pro 5,1 6-Core@3.33 GHz, 48 GB, ATI HD 5870
    Optical-Apple Super Drive & MCE Internal Blu-ray
    1 TB WD, 5 TB Barracuda(s), 500 GB Hitachi RAID0
    HP RocketU 1144C USB 3.0 Raid / Inateck USB 3.0

  7. #77
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Brugge, België
    Beans
    2,933

    Re: Account Lease time / Content filtering

    Quote Originally Posted by crjackson View Post
    Here's the deal,

    I've got 4 underage children in the house and I need some software controls. My wife was at a friends house and learned that their computers are configured to do the following.

    Each child has there own Time limited user account. Each account is allowed only a predefined about of user time. The way it works is like this. If the user is allowed 120 minutes, they can login and out as many times as they like, but the minutes are logged and when the limit is reached their access expires.

    The next issue is content filtering. I found dansguardian in the repositories and installed it. The problem is I can't find any menu entries to activate it, and it also doesn't run by typing dansguardian from the terminal.

    How do I activate this thing so that I can configure it?

    Thanks...
    This kind of thing isn't good for children.

    Let them see the world as it really is instead of trying to shelter them from everything.

  8. #78
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Charlotte, NC, USA
    Beans
    3,121
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Account Lease time - Timekeeper Developement

    Quote Originally Posted by billgoldberg View Post
    This kind of thing isn't good for children.

    Let them see the world as it really is instead of trying to shelter them from everything.
    Sorry Bill - Go hunt for a Knee-Jerk reaction elsewhere. This is a support thread.
    Last edited by crjackson; October 1st, 2008 at 11:05 PM.
    Mac Pro 5,1 6-Core@3.33 GHz, 48 GB, ATI HD 5870
    Optical-Apple Super Drive & MCE Internal Blu-ray
    1 TB WD, 5 TB Barracuda(s), 500 GB Hitachi RAID0
    HP RocketU 1144C USB 3.0 Raid / Inateck USB 3.0

  9. #79
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Norway
    Beans
    795
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Account Lease time / Content filtering

    To install the script try this:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    if [ ! -d /usr/local/bin ]; then
    sudo mkdir /usr/local/bin
    fi
    wget nedberg.net/timekpr/addtime.sh -O /usr/local/bin/addtime.sh
    wget nedberg.net/timekpr/extendlimits.sh -O /usr/local/bin/extendlimits.sh
    wget nedberg.net/timekpr/timekpr.sh -O /usr/local/bin/timekpr.sh
    wget nedberg.net/timekpr/timekprGUI.py -O /usr/local/bin/timekprGUI.py
    wget nedberg.net/timekpr/Timekpr.glade -O /usr/local/bin/Timekpr.glade
    chmod 744 /usr/local/bin/addtime.sh /usr/local/bin/extendlimits.sh /usr/local/bin/timekpr.sh /usr/local/bin/timekprGUI.py
    if [ ! -d /var/lib/timekpr ]; then
    mkdir /var/lib/timekpr
    fi
    I thought the folder /usr/local/bin already existed... This version checks if it exists, and only creates it if it doesn't.

    Launcher:
    You should launch the GUI with 'gksudo /usr/local/bin/timekprGUI.py'.
    In Ubuntu/Gnome you can right click your menu and select "Edit Menus", then add a new item wherever you want it. Make the command 'gksudo /usr/local/bin/timekprGUI.py', name it what ever you want and select an icon. You need to do this as your own user, and it cannot be run as an unprivileged user (make sure your kids are not in the sudoers group!).
    Open mind, open source!
    Keep control of computer usage with timekpr
    Screensaver for Amarok? AmarokScreenSaver
    My (Norwegian) blog about motorcycles and MotoGP

  10. #80
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Charlotte, NC, USA
    Beans
    3,121
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Account Lease time - Timekeeper Developement

    Quote Originally Posted by .nedberg View Post
    To install the script try this:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    if [ ! -d /usr/local/bin ]; then
    sudo mkdir /usr/local/bin
    fi
    wget nedberg.net/timekpr/addtime.sh -O /usr/local/bin/addtime.sh
    wget nedberg.net/timekpr/extendlimits.sh -O /usr/local/bin/extendlimits.sh
    wget nedberg.net/timekpr/timekpr.sh -O /usr/local/bin/timekpr.sh
    wget nedberg.net/timekpr/timekprGUI.py -O /usr/local/bin/timekprGUI.py
    wget nedberg.net/timekpr/Timekpr.glade -O /usr/local/bin/Timekpr.glade
    chmod 744 /usr/local/bin/addtime.sh /usr/local/bin/extendlimits.sh /usr/local/bin/timekpr.sh /usr/local/bin/timekprGUI.py
    if [ ! -d /var/lib/timekpr ]; then
    mkdir /var/lib/timekpr
    fi
    I thought the folder /usr/local/bin already existed... This version checks if it exists, and only creates it if it doesn't.

    Launcher:
    You should launch the GUI with 'gksudo /usr/local/bin/timekprGUI.py'.
    In Ubuntu/Gnome you can right click your menu and select "Edit Menus", then add a new item wherever you want it. Make the command 'gksudo /usr/local/bin/timekprGUI.py', name it what ever you want and select an icon. You need to do this as your own user, and it cannot be run as an unprivileged user (make sure your kids are not in the sudoers group!).
    I didn't know how to make that thing actually check for the existance of a directory so I just told it to make one. I'm glad you jumped in and fixed it up.

    I tried the gksudo thing the other day and it didn't work. It launched the GUI, but it would modify the file settings. I'll give that a try again. I was tired and may have done wrong somehow.

    OH NO!! No Kiddies with sudoers privileges - I haven't even given that to the wife yet.
    Last edited by crjackson; October 1st, 2008 at 11:06 PM.
    Mac Pro 5,1 6-Core@3.33 GHz, 48 GB, ATI HD 5870
    Optical-Apple Super Drive & MCE Internal Blu-ray
    1 TB WD, 5 TB Barracuda(s), 500 GB Hitachi RAID0
    HP RocketU 1144C USB 3.0 Raid / Inateck USB 3.0

Page 8 of 53 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •