Page 5 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Account Lease time / Content filtering

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Account Lease time - Timekeeper Developement

Quote Originally Posted by .nedberg View Post
    @crjackson:

Regarding your first question: If you remove /var/lib/timekpr/<your username> that file will acctually be created again by the script. But, you will be given the time limit of all day, and users with this limit will not be subject to the log in hours limiting (boundaries).

So, if you do not make a file at /var/lib/timekpr/<your username>, you will be able to log in whenever you want. (Or, you could just place the number 86400 (1 day in seconds) in that file.)

I am looking into the possibility of having different time limits and boundaries for every day of the week.

Thank you for the PayPal payment! I am now a "professional" developer!
    That sounds great. The original script created a username file with 87000. It was preventing me from logging in beyond the boundaries. So am I to understand the file needs to have the exact (magic) number of 86400 and not greater to eliminate the login boundaries?

I just changed the .sh and it fixed the "load on reboot problem". I'm changing the value in the username file to 86400. I won't be able to test that until tonight.
    Last edited by crjackson; October 1st, 2008 at 10:47 PM.
    Mac Pro 5,1 6-Core 3.33GHz, 48GB, Sapphire RX580
    Optical -- Apple Super Drive & MCE Internal Blu-ray
    512GB SM 970 Pro NVMe/HighPoint 7101A/10.14.5
    SonnetAllegro Pro USB 3/ 4TB WD/4TB - Barracuda

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Account Lease time / Content filtering

Content filtering:

I just read a Norwegian artivle about OpenDNS. It can do content filtering!

http://opendns.com/

You have to register and enter your IP, and set up your router to use OpenDNS. You can then filter your web traffic!

Have a look here for more info: http://www.opendns.com/features/content_filtering/
    Open mind, open source!
    Keep control of computer usage with timekpr
    Screensaver for Amarok? AmarokScreenSaver
    My (Norwegian) blog about motorcycles and MotoGP

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by crjackson View Post
    That sounds great. The original script created a username file with 87000. It was preventing me from logging in beyond the boundaries. So am I to understand the file needs to have the exact (magic) number of 86400 and not greater to eliminate the login boundaries?

I just changed the .sh and it fixed the "load on reboot problem". I'm changing the value in the username file to 86400. I won't be able to test that until tonight.
    Yes, the original script used 8700, I changed it to 86400, exactly one day in seconds. If the file existed it would not be changed and you would be logged out...
    Open mind, open source!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

+1 to OpenDNS. I use it on a few of the computers here in the house to block off content. It slowed down browsing a bit, but it sure does the trick, and is easily customized with lists.

.nedberg, great work with this script, really a work of genius.
    “Common sense is nothing more than a deposit of prejudices laid down by the mind before you reach eighteen.” - Einstein

Registered Linux User #477338 || Registered Ubuntu User #23670

Beans
    Distro

Content filtering:

I just read a Norwegian artivle about OpenDNS. It can do content filtering!

http://opendns.com/

You have to register and enter your IP, and set up your router to use OpenDNS. You can then filter your web traffic!

Have a look here for more info: http://www.opendns.com/features/content_filtering/
    Looking at it now. Looks great so far, I'll test it out this week.

Regarding timekpr.sh; How is midnight represented in the variable? Is it 0 or 24?
    Last edited by crjackson; October 1st, 2008 at 10:48 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

+1 Opendns.com

It is great! Install ddclient [sudo apt-get isntall ddclient] answer the questions however you want when it installs. Here is a sample of your ddclient conf file:
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/ddclient.conf
    #
    # /etc/ddclient.conf
    ssl=yes
    pid=/var/run/ddclient.pid
    protocol=dyndns2
    use=web, web=whatismyip.org
    server=updates.opendns.com
    login=username
    password=password
    name of your network on your opendns account
    You will need to edit all the red stuff. You will need to setup an account with opendns, and setup a network. Then you will need to decide how you want it to filter your computers. This can also be setup at the router as well. I then setup ddclient to run as a root crontab every 15 minutes to keep my ip address up to date. It is fast, secure, and works very well. I had trouble with DG's restrictivness not allowing me to access my own web site's cpanel, and sometimes uploading to my web page gave me problems. OpenDNS has worked like a charm for me.

Shane

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Just my two cents worth here. When I setup a test user and limited his time to 20 minutes (for testing purposes) I noticed that the harddrive was been accessed perhaps a bit more than normal or it seemed that way for me. I recommend that you bumb up the check/poll time to every 60 seconds. At most a user would gain an extra minute. Is there anything that would be messed up by using the 60 second poll time?

Shane

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by crjackson View Post
    Regarding timekpr.sh; How is midnight represented in the variable? Is it 0 or 24?
    I am not sure how bash represents midnight, but I guess 0. However, I know how the script will interpret it. If you want to allow someone to log in from midnight, set from=0. If you want them to be able to log in until midnight set to=24.

The script checks if the current hour is larger or equal to from, and if it is less than to. This way it does not matter how bash represents the hour.

I will probably start looking at the posibillity of different limits and boundaries tonight. This will change a lot of how the script works and every user will have to be set up again.
    Open mind, open source!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by shane2peru View Post
    Just my two cents worth here. When I setup a test user and limited his time to 20 minutes (for testing purposes) I noticed that the harddrive was been accessed perhaps a bit more than normal or it seemed that way for me. I recommend that you bumb up the check/poll time to every 60 seconds. At most a user would gain an extra minute. Is there anything that would be messed up by using the 60 second poll time?

Shane
    I agree! Setting poll_time to 60 seconds only gives 40 seconds more to the user. Nothing is messed up by this. grace_period _should_ also be bigger than 60 seconds, but all this will give the user the ability to log in again and again and keep logged in for poll_time+grace_period. I will have a look at putting the logging into memory insted of files, that way poll_time can be as short as we want it to.
    Open mind, open source!

Beans
    Distro

I am not sure how bash represents midnight, but I guess 0. However, I know how the script will interpret it. If you want to allow someone to log in from midnight, set from=0. If you want them to be able to log in until midnight set to=24.

The script checks if the current hour is larger or equal to from, and if it is less than to. This way it does not matter how bash represents the hour.

I will probably start looking at the possibility of different limits and boundaries tonight. This will change a lot of how the script works and every user will have to be set up again.
    Sounds good. I did try 0 (end time) and it booted me off right away. Setting it to 24 reached the desired result.
    Last edited by crjackson; October 1st, 2008 at 10:49 PM.

Page 5 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast