Page 4 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Account Lease time / Content filtering

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Account Lease time / Content filtering

Quote Originally Posted by crjackson View Post
    .nedberg

I added the line /usr/local/bin/timekpr & to /etc/rc.local but it's not working.

What am I doing wrong here?
    I tested at home just now and it starts after a reeboot. I added the line '/usr/local/bin/timekpr.sh &' to /etc/rc.local.

I also updated the script just a little bit. It now makees a 'beep' in addition to showing the notification. This is just to make sure the user is aware and saves his/her work.

I will see if I can make different limits during the weekends Should not be a big problem. GUI? I don't know... I'm not that good at making GUI, and I don't know how to do it in Gnome (don't use it, and this script only works with it atm). I see how this would be more "wife friendly" as i call it, so we will have to see...
    Open mind, open source!
    Keep control of computer usage with timekpr
    Screensaver for Amarok? AmarokScreenSaver
    My (Norwegian) blog about motorcycles and MotoGP

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Account Lease time - Timekeeper Developement

Quote Originally Posted by .nedberg View Post
    I tested at home just now and it starts after a reeboot. I added the line '/usr/local/bin/timekpr.sh &' to /etc/rc.local.

I also updated the script just a little bit. It now makees a 'beep' in addition to showing the notification. This is just to make sure the user is aware and saves his/her work.

I will see if I can make different limits during the weekends Should not be a big problem. GUI? I don't know... I'm not that good at making GUI, and I don't know how to do it in Gnome (don't use it, and this script only works with it atm). I see how this would be more "wife friendly" as i call it, so we will have to see...
    Okay thanks, It must be .sh I need. I do have one question though. How is midnight represented in the variable? Is it 0 or 24?

If you are going to play with this some more, could you make a provision for a single username (mine) that would be exempted from all restrictions?

This may already be addressed by the extendlimits script, but I haven't tried that or the rewards script just yet.

I've been trying to get this one working on reboot. Now that I have .sh information (duh... I don't know why I didn't even consider that), I'll add that after work and dig into the other 2 scripts.
    Last edited by crjackson; October 1st, 2008 at 10:44 PM.
    Mac Pro 5,1 6-Core 3.33GHz, 48GB, Sapphire RX580
    Optical -- Apple Super Drive & MCE Internal Blu-ray
    512GB SM 970 Pro NVMe/HighPoint 7101A/10.14.5
    SonnetAllegro Pro USB 3/ 4TB WD/4TB - Barracuda

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

In response to your question about DansGuardian on your first post, it is a daemon, not a program. You configure it via config files in /etc/dansguardian. But DansGuardian can not run alone. It needs a cache-proxy such as Squid to run.

Here is a great guide on getting Squid and DansGuardian working together, that I followed and it worked:
    http://www.linux.com/articles/113733

Dr Small
    "Security lies within the user of who runs the system. Think smart, live safe." - Dr Small
    Linux User #441960 | Wiki: DrSmall

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Small View Post
    In response to your question about DansGuardian on your first post, it is a daemon, not a program. You configure it via config files in /etc/dansguardian. But DansGuardian can not run alone. It needs a cache-proxy such as Squid to run.

Here is a great guide on getting Squid and DansGuardian working together, that I followed and it worked:
    http://www.linux.com/articles/113733

Dr Small
    Thanks Dr. Small - I understand that there is a Firefox addon that will allow me to content filter. I'm going to look into that 1st as it seems less complicated. I'm really loving this script that .nedberg is tuning to perfection.

Once this is nailed down on my kids compters, I'll be looking into the content issue. Thanks much for your input.
    Last edited by crjackson; October 1st, 2008 at 10:45 PM.

Beans
    Distro

you can create a file at /var/lib/timekpr/<username> to limit an account. In that file you put the total amount of seconds that user is allowed to be logged in each day.

A user without a file like this will not be limited.
    It seems you may have answered a question for me before the fact. I should be able to delete the file for my own username and thus my account wouldn't be restricted. I'll give this a try tomorrow.

I would assume however, that since the scrip is running on boot, I would still be subjected to allowable login hours.
    Last edited by crjackson; October 1st, 2008 at 10:45 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If you have a router on your home net you should check out its documentation also. Many of them can be configured to limit access by time of day & length of access time, and a password can be set to override the restrictions. Some routers can also be configured to use various content restriction services.
    There are no dumb questions, just dumb answers.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by lswb View Post
    If you have a router on your home net you should check out its documentation also. Many of them can be configured to limit access by time of day & length of access time, and a password can be set to override the restrictions. Some routers can also be configured to use various content restriction services.
    I do have a router and it's good at what it does. However, I wanted computer time limited and controlled. Not just internet time. The router can't do that.
    Last edited by crjackson; October 1st, 2008 at 10:46 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I don't know much about programming but here's what I'm thinking. timekpr.sh pulls numbers from a file named after it's particular user and fills the variables in the script.

Would it be possible to either include in the same file (or different if needed) a set of numbers (i.e. 7, 22) which would be checked on login and fill script variables fo setting the login hours of operation for each user. And even include a provision whereby if it finds the hours string "unlimited" or "0, 0" the user has unlimited login hours against the 24 hour login clock.

just food for thought by a simpleton... I don't even know if it could work that way or not.
    Last edited by crjackson; October 1st, 2008 at 10:46 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

@crjackson:

Regarding your first question: If you remove /var/lib/timekpr/<your username> that file will acctually be created again by the script. But, you will be given the time limit of all day, and users with this limit will not be subject to the log in hours limiting (boundaries).

So, if you do not make a file at /var/lib/timekpr/<your username>, you will be able to log in whenever you want. (Or, you could just place the number 86400 (1 day in seconds) in that file.)

I am looking into the possibility of having different time limits and boundaries for every day of the week.

Thank you for the PayPal payment! I am now a "proffesional" developer!
    Open mind, open source!
    Keep control of computer usage with timekpr
    Screensaver for Amarok? AmarokScreenSaver
    My (Norwegian) blog about motorcycles and MotoGP

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Regarding content filtering, I messed with Dan's Guardian a year or so ago and found it a pain setting up squid and whatever else. The "gui" in Ubuntu Christian Edition was slight progress but still greatly lacking, mostly it had buttons to open the text files you manually edit. This may have changed by now though.
    There's a firefox extension called procon that works great for my needs. Lets you block by keywords or using a whitelist. You can lock it down with a password once it's set up.
    My oldest is 6 and only goes to the sites linked from the homepage I made for him, so there's not much concern for him surfing about, but sometimes there are older kids over and it's good not to have to think about where they go because it's whitelist only for his user. So I can't say how well the blacklisting filter works for daily use but I did play around with the other options and would say be sure to check "Render web pages after filtering"; may slightly slow down load times but otherwise pages show for a second before being blocked.

OS X was the first to do built-in parental controls as far as I know and now Vista also has a pretty good set, so yeah, Ubuntu and the Linux world need a good option here to help compete on a family computer.

Page 4 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast