Thread: Has ati improved?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Has ati improved?

Its been several months since i've used linux and i'm wondering if ait drivers have improved with wine since i've last check, cause i'm thinking of trying it again and i want to know should i get a nvidia card or has ati improved enough to be usable for games
    If something takes longer then an hour to do, you've done somethign wrong.

Kubuntu dapper and a half
    (kubuntu with the latest kde all the fixes of edgy none of the problems)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Has ati improved?

My late experience with SimCity 4 running on an ATi Radeon 9200 forces me to say that...NO!! Drivers are still non-usable for games in Wine. nVidia cards are the best solution for me.
    hp | P4 - 2,5 GHz | 768 MB RAM | HD 20 GB System + 80 GB Secondary | DVD-RW R-DL , CD-RW | ATi Radeon 9200 (Cooled with minifan) | Realtek AC'97 On-board Audio | Realtek RTL801 | Diskette, 7 in 1 Card Reader | Case Fan | Linux 8.04 Hardy Heron

Beans

Re: Has ati improved?

Quote Originally Posted by maxmanapple View Post
    My late experience with SimCity 4 running on an ATi Radeon 9200 forces me to say that...NO!! Drivers are still non-usable for games in Wine. nVidia cards are the best solution for me.
    I can confirm that too, SimCity 4 doesn't start on my integrated Radeon 3100 with fglrx driver, works fine on my Geforce 8400GS, other games in Wine didn't like ATI either though. For native games, ATI has improved a lot though
    Arch x86_64 User / Windows 7 x64 Dual Boot | Nvidia Geforce GT 430 | AMD Phenom II X4 925 (2.8 Ghz, Quad Core) | 6 GB DDR2 RAM | 500 GB HD