Thread: Ubuntu Wireless Help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Exclamation Ubuntu Wireless Help

Very new to Ubuntu and Linux for that matter. I absolutely know nothing. I have managed to install ubuntu 8.04 LTS with a dual boot of Win 98 SE. I've also managed to get my sound card working and the computer to shut off at shutdown. But I am totally lost when it comes to setting up my Linksys WMP54G and getting it working. Not sure if I need to use the NDISWRAPPER and my cards drivers or bcm43xx-fwcutter or just what to use. I tried using 8.04 LTS troubleshooting guide. But I hit a brick wall on the very first step, "Check for device recognition
    Open Device Manager (System → Preferences → Hardware Information)." I do not have a choice for hardware info in my system/preference menu list. Can anyone walk me through the steps to set this up? It's a linksys wmp54g with a broadcom 4306 chip I believe. Thanks in advance.

Kevin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Ubuntu Wireless Help

See if your wireless card is in System > Administration > Hardware Drivers. Enable it if it is.
    Be Safe. Use Linux.
    Double your drive space. Delete Windows.

Beans
    Distro

It's not listed there either. I know if I run the "lspci -l" command it is listed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

install the bcm43xx-fwcutter and see what happens. otherwise, you will have to use ndiswrapper.

Beans
    Distro

Just so I know, I can install bcm43xx-fwcutter from the live cd using one of the package managers, correct?