14 73.68%
  • Don't Really Care

2 10.53%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Animated Avatars

Beans

Re: Animated Avatars

Quote Originally Posted by Anurag_panda View Post
    Staff shouldn't be allowed to use animated avatars too IMO. (even if they choose not to)
    Quote Originally Posted by rubinboy View Post
    If they can't then why should the moderators be allowed them?
    Because they are staff.

This forum is aimed at tech support and being friendly in general. Mods are usually exception or active in both of those areas to some degree. When you become staff, you are then the target for trolls and abuse of all sorts, plus you have to take time to deal with spam and reports. (And you have to do all this without abusing the power)

The coloured names (which I don't have), the custom titles (which are also available for those with 3500+ beans), a longer sig and less restrictions on avatars are not compensation for that, but they do lighten the load.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoza View Post
    Because they are staff.

This forum is aimed at tech support and being friendly in general. Mods are usually exception or active in both of those areas to some degree. When you become staff, you are then the target for trolls and abuse of all sorts, plus you have to take time to deal with spam and reports. (And you have to do all this without abusing the power)

The coloured names (which I don't have), the custom titles (which are also available for those with 3500+ beans), a longer sig and less restrictions on avatars are not compensation for that, but they do lighten the load.
    I know the staff deserve those goodies but really staff post more often than most ordinary users and animated avatars of staff would irritate people as much as of other people.(although I havent come across an irritating animated avatar of any user)
    As for custom titles and longer sig and non-animated images in sig, they are deserved.

Beans

I know the staff deserve those goodies but really staff post more often than most ordinary users and animated avatars of staff would irritate people as much as of other people.(although I havent come across an irritating animated avatar of any user)
    As for custom titles and longer sig and non-animated images in sig, they are deserved.
    Don't complain. Check out the OP on this thread: http://cafelinux.org/forum/index.php/topic,1691.0.html

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Don't complain. Check out the OP on this thread: http://cafelinux.org/forum/index.php/topic,1691.0.html
    I'm not complaining. What made you think that?
    (that avatar in the link really pisses me off)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Staff shouldn't be allowed to use animated avatars too IMO. (even if they choose not to)

Why didn't you PM him/her requesting him/her not to have an animated avatar. I am sure He/She would listen.
    This was not a bashing or trying to be rude thing. It was just trying to get a consensus and figure out what the rules are. .

About the point about forum staff having little extra's i agree! I think they should have coffee waiting on their desks but as they do post more often having images in their sigs would tend to increases bandwidth.

I was not a personal attack on the mod, as for that I will speak to them personally.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rubinboy View Post
    but as they do post more often having images in their sigs would tend to increases bandwidth.
    Actually, it wouldn't. The first time would, but it would then be cached.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Actually, it wouldn't. The first time would, but it would then be cached.
    Not in all browsers.

Beans

Not in all browsers.
    In Fx, Opera, and IE (and Safari and Konqueor and Epiphany).

If things aren't cached, then the site of the stylesheet of this forum and script would be downloaded each time (along with the entire theme) so it would be a tiny burden compared to all that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12