Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Coreboot preinstalled?

Beans

Re: Coreboot preinstalled?

Quote Originally Posted by Progressive View Post
    We really need the OEMs and any other companies to help press the mobo vendors for Coreboot support, and to contribute development resources.

That isn't going to happen unless we speak out. I signed that petition above for this reason.
    What people are missing is this IS the major hurdle in the entire effort. Coreboot (linuxbios) has been an active project for some time now, but its functioning on the limited support of hardware vendors. That is why there are very few intel chips and those that do garner support are very depreciated. Opening up the code to how the chips function is a major concern for chipset manufacturers. Even the efforts of intel and EFI have had slow progress in the area of firmware improvement.

The only way to get support on the systems is to experiment on your own. It harkens back to the days when Linux was just in your infancy and systems was just as limited.

Beans

I have the Lemur 2 (Lemu2) laptop from System76. It has a Core i3 chipset, and I don't think CoreBoot supports Core i3 chips. Does it? If so, how would I install CoreBoot on my System76? Thank you

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DPic View Post
    System76 is amazing for really being dedicated to free software but a truly open system can't have proprietary BIOS!
    A truly open system wouldn't have proprietary hardware, either…

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Geremia View Post
    I have the Lemur 2 (Lemu2) laptop from System76. It has a Core i3 chipset, and I don't think CoreBoot supports Core i3 chips. Does it? If so, how would I install CoreBoot on my System76? Thank you
    Way to unbury a dead corpse.
    Backups are amazing. 99% of data loss can be prevented by spending less than $100 on an external drive.
    If you have seen an error, there is a good chance someone else has, too. Google is your friend.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Ubun2to View Post
    Way to unbury a dead corpse.
    Reburied
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123