Re: gparted doesn't recognize existing partitions

Try Gparted Live CD:
    http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...kage_id=271779
    Burn the iso to disk and boot from it.

Dr. Fernando Duran Dollenz
    Libertad 584

Beans

I could do this but the problem remains because I want to replace my existing 7.10 by a clean install of 8.10, so the problem arises during the installation process. I might alter the layout of partitions (which by the occasion of clean install I want to perform) but I'm scared once I start the 8.10 installation the partition tool in the installer will again fail to detect the existing partitions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

With Gparted Live CD you can prepare your drive ahead of time, then go 'Manual' and use the prepared partitions.

Libertad 584

Beans

Yes, but "manual" doesn't recognize the existing paritions so I wonder why manual detects them after the changes. Anyway I'll give it a try - thanks for the suggestion.

Beans

so I've downloaded, burned and performed Live gparted and it doesn't detect the partitions either.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Post your specs in detail. You will need some boot parameters it seems.
    You could try adding all_generic_ide at the end of your boot line in the Ubuntu Live CD.
    http://grumpymole.blogspot.com/2007/...arameters.html

Libertad 584

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

sorry to res a dead thread but I am have this same problem with my ubuntu install.

I had vista and 8.04 installed on my Dell XPS M1530. I upgraded my 8.04 to 8.10 on release day but my 8.04 was really fairly custom and it borked some stuff and I just decided to blow it away and install 8.10 fresh over the existing copy (but still keep the vista partition). When I boot up the live CD it only gives me the option of the entire disk.. if I go to manual there is no drive info listed just like in the guy aboves pic.

I dont understand what could be preventing gparted from reading my partition table. There is no encryption or anything on the disk.

Any suggestions are appreciated!
    Dell XPS m1530 | My Custom PC- Intel Core Quad 9550 | EVGA 750i FTW Mobo | 750GB Seagate SATA HDD | 4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 Memory | Antec 900 Case | Antec 650w TruPowerTrio PS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I'm having the exact problem. I have two drives. One 120 gb drive, one 300 gb drive. Before, my 300 gb was sda and had windows/ubuntu 7.04 (which was upgraded up to 8.04). No troubles installing. I wanted to upgrade, so I formatted the disk with gparted on the live cd, and formatted the 300 gb to NTFS. Then I installed Windows XP on it without trouble. I booted off the ubuntu live cd, and nothing recognizes whats going on with the 300 gb. Its seeing the 120 gb (a file storing drive I have) as sda, and knows that its NTFS. But it sees the 300 gb drive as sdb and 'unallocated' as far as the file system goes. The installer is also unaware that its already been formatted.
    If I mount the 300 gb, I can browse the files and all the stuff on there. For some reason gparted and the installer are screwed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

bump, has anyone else experienced this or found a fix?
    Dell XPS m1530 | My Custom PC- Intel Core Quad 9550 | EVGA 750i FTW Mobo | 750GB Seagate SATA HDD | 4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 Memory | Antec 900 Case | Antec 650w TruPowerTrio PS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast