Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Empathy maybe replacing Pidgin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Empathy maybe replacing Pidgin

Quote Originally Posted by racoq View Post
    What? thats absolutely the opposite. Empathy lacks in usability (BIG TIME), it doesn't even compare to Pidgin in terms of features, last time i checked:

- The file transfer in MSN protocol was inexistent
    - Does not support invisible mode
    - Was too buggy
    - not even had a 1/6 of pidgin protocols
    - No usefull plugins

shall i continue?

Do we want to give Ubuntu Users the full mounty experience, or just a crippled IM to scared them all (that's what empathy is).

The only thing i've saw positive about Empathy was voice support in GMail (although it laked on quality).
    No way it will replace Pidgin, as long as it doesn't implement the main features of MSN, and Even Yahoo or AOL (who are the other major IM protocols used).
    if empathy enters ubuntu (even if only for the development cycle) the empathy dev is saying that they could add those features by karmic final (if i understood it correctly)
    http://pinstack.blogspot.com/2009/06...in-karmic.html

and to those that don't think empathy/telepathy brings cool stuff to the table:
    there is a GSoC project to share Banshee "Now listening" to your contact plus later it could be used to stream music to them.
    there is also another GSoC that will create easy multiplayer for gnome-games using your contact.
    not to mention the already integrated vnc sharing over telepathy.
    WARNING: "sudo rm -rf /" = BAD Read this for more information.
    Q6600-Abit IP35-2 GB RAM-250GTS 1GB

*Docky FTW!*

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

i think that empathy is very nice. i like the simplistic look that still yields a lot of features. the only reason i didnt switch in the end is becuase of a few small things, like i didnt have enough customization options when it comes to sounds and alerts. but as others have said, empathy is still growing fast, and im sure these features will be there soon. i will definitely be willing to give it another shot once i have that level of control

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dawei87 View Post
    i think that empathy is very nice. i like the simplistic look that still yields a lot of features. the only reason i didnt switch in the end is becuase of a few small things, like i didnt have enough customization options when it comes to sounds and alerts. but as others have said, empathy is still growing fast, and im sure these features will be there soon. i will definitely be willing to give it another shot once i have that level of control
    Yup. But you could always just uninstall empathy and keep Pidgin (or whatever).

Haven't tried Empathy for a while now. But I hope it has improved markedly if it's to be used in Karmic.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I love pidgin.
    I use it all the time on Ubuntu and Vista.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Honestly. it makes me sad to see Pidgin go in Ubuntu. It's been there since day one and is used by millions of people on all three major operating systems.

One of the arguments that it is better integrated with GNOME is fud. Firefox is less integrated with GNOME than Epiphany, but the Ubuntu devs have kept Firefox for brand-recognition. They should do the same with Pidgin.

What's in a name? Well, not much. But Pidgin is a quality product. It has been in development for 10 years, not 2 like Epiphany. It is tried, tested and true.

I agree with many of the comments that Empathy has an ugly and unintuitive UI compared to Pidgin too. The shapes for statuses, the odd icons (my panel icon for Empathy is a big grey square, whereas Pidgin has a message buddle and a smiley face... which sounds for intuitive?), odd placement of avatars, etc., just makes me embarassed to use it or to force others to use it.

Don't even get me started on its lack of features either, especially when it comes to the MSN protocol. Although I haven't used MSN in years, I don't know anyone here in Canada (who isn't a free software zealot) use anything but MSN. No Google Talk, no Yahoo, no Jabber and especially no IRC.

I know it's going to be as easy as
    Code:
    sudo aptitude purge empathy ; sudo aptitude install pidgin
    but this will be just one further annoyance of re-installing Ubuntu, including install codecs for MP3s, DVDs, Java, more themes and wallpapers (all through APT) etc.

I say wait for it to mature just a bit further before considering it, but no matter what, the decision to use Empathy over Pidgin at any point will disappoint me to no end.

Beans
    Hidden!

Have used Pidgin since its early days for Win and Lin and can't part with it. For voice and video I use Skype which works fine on Ubuntu and when people insist on Yahoo Video I use the excellent Gyachi made by forum member Loell. It works fine with my cam. Pidgin is what I use on daily basis for IM with text, it works without any drama.

Beans

if empathy enters ubuntu (even if only for the development cycle) the empathy dev is saying that they could add those features by karmic final (if i understood it correctly)
    They should do this anyway.

Pidgin, always and forever
    lolwut

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234