Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Empathy maybe replacing Pidgin

Beans

Empathy maybe replacing Pidgin

Personnaly, ive not liked pidgin, and Empathy has voice and video support. Could be a interesting move. Apparantly Empathy has a lot of back-ground support via DBUS so other programs and use it for information etc.

More info here:

http://blog.ibeentoubuntu.com/2008/0...ing-using.html

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...st/005070.html

Thoughts?

isnt competition exciting

Beans

Re: Empathy maybe replacing Pidgin

There gas been a few posts about this already.
    But many consider Empathy alphaware at this stage.
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans

yes,and we only need to have one thread to rule them all

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=876847

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hey wait a minute! I agree as many people arround that Pidgin sucks sometiems. But... I use GNOME so i wont install Kopete or whatever... I don't like the artwork and overall aspect of aMSN... it's too MSN clone... and Pidgin... the little bird... i think it's light and not bloated like aMSN... it's a nice GTK app very well integrated with the GNOME Desktop. It's easy to use and the artwork is simple but really nice! I tried Empathy for a couple of days but here is what i think: Empathy doesn't play any sound when somebody writes to me in MSN chat. Empathy doesn't check for my hotmail accounts and have a direct click option to open hotmail inbox in a snap. So, i admit it, Pidgin doesn't handles MSN connections very well, it's always disconnecting and i'm always Retrying the connections... BUT when i tried Empathy, it was the same story!! i read so much about empathy replacing Pidgin... but developers really need to try to make a better software than Pidgin and if that happens, i want to see it. Pidgin has plugins that empathy doesn't and it has more configuration options than empathy... both i tried and installed from the Intrepid repos and ... i stay with Pidgin... and for the Pidgin developers... Pidgin is a nice piece of software that needs some adjustments in handling MSN connections and i think that Skype protocol would be very nice... may be just for text chat only.

Thanks all

Regards,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Competition is good. I haven't given Empathy a try yet because when I was using GNOME Pidgin met all my basic needs. But I'm sure the thought of losing there spot on Ubuntu will make them put in a little extra effort. Although I'm quite happy with Pidgin as it is. (Currently a Kopete user).

Beans

the thing is just to get empathy to work with as many clients as pidgin does you have to install a million different packages, I feel thats a MAJOR showstopper when ubuntu is concerned.
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

as far as I know - but i could be wrong - empathy will be able to use libpurple - which should enable it to work with all the protocols that pidgin does. As for me I enjoy cli stuff - so centerim works well for me, but it would be nice for a voice-video chat!

Beans

Well I tryed Empathy for the audio features in gTalk and it's great!
    It's still has an non intuitive UI here and there but the roadmap is quite good in my opinion. And it seems that they almost finished work with file transfers also. At the moment I use Pidgin, but that may change if the Empathy development continues so fast.
    Collecting data is only the first step toward wisdom but sharing data is the first step toward community

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

its ugly, requires gnome, and just uses libpurple anyway......still dont see a reason why i should switch.
    Jabber: markgrandi[at]gmail.com

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

It can use libpurple if you want or need it, though its not a requirement.

How is it ugly?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast