Thread: Samba share - windows can't rename file

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Samba share - windows can't rename file

Ok so first off, I'm fairly new to Linux in general, so if I'm doing something totally retarded just tell me and let me know what I should be doing instead.

I have a partition on my linux pc created specifically for sharing media between Ubuntu and my Windows VM. I've created a samba share for it, and I am able to see it in windows: I can browse/rename/add/delete files without any issues. However, some apps (Zune..ahem) try to rename files, it fails.

So while downloading a song Zune creates a file called ZuneXX.tmp. Once it's complete it tries to rename the file to the correct mp3. Here's what FileMon gives me in WinXP:

2:39:58 PM Zune.exe:3272 SET INFORMATION Z:\My Music\Zune\Subscription\Okkervil River\Black Sheep Boy (Bonus Tracks)\Zun25.tmp ACCESS DENIED FileBasicInformation
    Here's the share from /etc/samba/smb.conf:
    Code:
    [MediaShare]
    path = /media/share
    available = yes
    browsable = yes
    public = yes
    writable = yes
    create mask = 0775
    directory mask = 0775
    I set the masks just a moment ago to no avail hoping that might work. Anyone know what the heck I should be doing here? Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Samba share - windows can't rename file

Did you restart Samba after changing smb.conf?
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Iowan View Post
    Did you restart Samba after changing smb.conf?
    I knew someone was going to ask that...

I think so... I ran:
    sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart.

Also, shortly after making this post I ended up having to kill -9 nmbd, and restart it again because it was taking up 100% of one of my cores. No idea why that happened.

I take it that's all I need to do right? I haven't actually restarted my workstation.

I just un-installed vmplayer 2.04 and downgraded to 2.03 because I thought I had this all working a few months ago before I upgraded. Unfortunately that didn't fix anything either. I also created a new Ubuntu admin user with the same credentials as my WinXP VM. Still same issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Bueller? Anyone? Am I not using the permissions mask correctly or something?

Oh well... In the meantime I'm just using

rename 's/tmp/mp3/' *.tmp

...and then using Mp3Tag to rename all the files from the ID3 tags. Works well enough - just a pain. Just in case anyone else runs into something similar. Doubtful since of course no one in their right mind should be using Zune... but it was free and I'm cheap.

Beans

I am using VMPlayer and in the configuration I enabled the Share Files options but it did not work for me. I read some more articles and found a good solution that works for me. I put in here: http://www.gmmatias.com/sharing-a-di...mba-2010-02-12

Hope it helps.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gm.matias View Post
    I am using VMPlayer and in the configuration I enabled the Share Files options but it did not work for me. I read some more articles and found a good solution that works for me. I put in here: http://www.gmmatias.com/sharing-a-di...mba-2010-02-12

Hope it helps.
    Unfortunately it doesn't help. The link doesn't open.