Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Beryl & Compiz-Fusion

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (testing)

Exclamation Re: Beryl & Compiz-Fusion

Currently attempting to install via a git script that i got from the fusion forums. However, it fails at the compiz install (first part)....
    >> compiz <<

* Updating compiz
    Already up-to-date.
    * Cleaning old compile
    make: *** No rule to make target `clean'. Stop.
    * Configuring new version
    autoreconf: Entering directory `.'
    autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Gettext
    autoreconf: running: aclocal
    configure.ac:39: warning: macro `AM_GLIB_GNU_GETTEXT' not found in library
    configure.ac:197: warning: macro `AM_GCONF_SOURCE_2' not found in library
    autoreconf: configure.ac: tracing
    autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Libtool
    autoreconf: running: /usr/bin/autoconf
    autoreconf: running: /usr/bin/autoheader
    autoreconf: running: automake --add-missing --copy --no-force
    gtk/gnome/Makefile.am:68: Libtool library used but `LIBTOOL' is undefined
    gtk/gnome/Makefile.am:68: The usual way to define `LIBTOOL' is to add `AC_PROG_LIBTOOL'
    gtk/gnome/Makefile.am:68: to `configure.ac' and run `aclocal' and `autoconf' again.
    gtk/gnome/Makefile.am:68: If `AC_PROG_LIBTOOL' is in `configure.ac', make sure
    gtk/gnome/Makefile.am:68: its definition is in aclocal's search path.
    kde/window-decorator-kde4/Makefile.am:38: `%'-style pattern rules are a GNU make extension
    kde/window-decorator/Makefile.am:32: `%'-style pattern rules are a GNU make extension
    kde/window-decorator/Makefile.am:35: `%'-style pattern rules are a GNU make extension
    kde/window-decorator/Makefile.am:38: `%'-style pattern rules are a GNU make extension
    libdecoration/Makefile.am:1: Libtool library used but `LIBTOOL' is undefined
    libdecoration/Makefile.am:1: The usual way to define `LIBTOOL' is to add `AC_PROG_LIBTOOL'
    libdecoration/Makefile.am:1: to `configure.ac' and run `aclocal' and `autoconf' again.
    libdecoration/Makefile.am:1: If `AC_PROG_LIBTOOL' is in `configure.ac', make sure
    libdecoration/Makefile.am:1: its definition is in aclocal's search path.
    metadata/Makefile.am:77: GCONF_SCHEMAS_INSTALL does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
    metadata/Makefile.am:40: patsubst %.xml.in,compiz-%.schemas,$(xml_in_files: non-POSIX variable name
    metadata/Makefile.am:40: (probably a GNU make extension)
    metadata/Makefile.am:43: `%'-style pattern rules are a GNU make extension
    metadata/Makefile.am:53: patsubst %.xml.in,compiz-%.kcfg,$(xml_in_files: non-POSIX variable name
    metadata/Makefile.am:53: (probably a GNU make extension)
    metadata/Makefile.am:57: `%'-style pattern rules are a GNU make extension
    metadata/Makefile.am:58: subst compiz-,,$*: non-POSIX variable name
    metadata/Makefile.am:58: (probably a GNU make extension)
    plugins/Makefile.am:150: Libtool library used but `LIBTOOL' is undefined
    plugins/Makefile.am:150: The usual way to define `LIBTOOL' is to add `AC_PROG_LIBTOOL'
    plugins/Makefile.am:150: to `configure.ac' and run `aclocal' and `autoconf' again.
    plugins/Makefile.am:150: If `AC_PROG_LIBTOOL' is in `configure.ac', make sure
    plugins/Makefile.am:150: its definition is in aclocal's search path.
    autoreconf: automake failed with exit status: 1
    -> compiz's autogen.sh reports errors. Bailing.
    I've also downloaded libtool and attempted to compile it for install. However, that doesn't seem to work properly either.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Beryl & Compiz-Fusion

Okay, you have to be careful here, because if you start mixing and matching installations, you going to have problems.

There's 3 ways to have Compiz Fusion.

1) Just using the version installed by default on Hardy (8.04). It's not the latest version and does have numerous bugs in it that have already been fixed elsewhere.

2) Downloading the source tarballs and compiling. This requires the users to install all the necessary dependencies needed to build Compiz Fusion from Source. Then, the user must proceed in downloading each part of Compiz Fusion (the core, plugins, the manager, etc) and build each. If you decide to go this route, you have to remove the existing version (default version of CF) from Hardy.

3) Installing from git. This is the bleeding edge version that contains all the latest features, bug fixes, and bugs (I don't have any problems however). This also requires the user to install all the necessary deps needed to build from source and to remove the default installation of CF. You can achieve this by git-cloning CF (each part once again) yourself or using a script that will handle it for you (such as Git-Compiz or my program FusionBuild).

At this point, I don't think you've actually managed to install CF (from either Source or Git) on top of the default install, because from the looks of it, you don't have all the dependencies installed, which is a good thing. If you did, you're going to have problems and we're going to have to remove everything CF-related and start over!

Which way would you want to install Compiz Fusion? In all honestly, I wouldn't bother trying to go the Source or Git route because the version that comes by default should be all you need. Let me know!
    Last edited by isaacj87; August 12th, 2008 at 11:26 AM.
    Laptop: [AMD Vision A4-3300M | 8GB RAM | ATI Radeon 6480G | Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit]

Studio Box: [AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ | 4GB RAM | Nvidia 210 | M-Audio FastTrackPro | KXStudio 11.04 64-bit | 2.6.31-rt14-custom | KDE 4.6.5]

Beans
    Distro

I think I'll stick with the git-script that I was using above, its interactive, takes care of all packages involved (emerald, plugins, etc), and allows me a certain level of control for the install.

Should I use a similar command to remove compiz? i.e.:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge compiz*
    Last edited by TDragon; August 12th, 2008 at 02:24 PM. Reason: question

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I don't think uninstalling emerald is necessary, uninstall compiz:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove compiz*
    and install compiz by clicking on the link below
    apt://compizconfig-settings-manager /you might have to wait up to 15sec, but it is a one click install and worth it)!
    Last edited by gjoellee; August 12th, 2008 at 02:30 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by gjoellee View Post
    I don't think uninstalling emerald is necessary
    Emerald was removed along with Beryl in previous steps.

Beans
    Distro

*bump*
    Ubuntu: IntrepidIbex x32 v8.10-RC (v2.6.27-7 Kernel) / Gnome / C.Fusion / Emerald / Guake / wicd / etc...
    UbuntuUser#: 24216

Beans
    Distro

*bump*
    Ubuntu: IntrepidIbex x32 v8.10-RC (v2.6.27-7 Kernel) / Gnome / C.Fusion / Emerald / Guake / wicd / etc...

Beans
    Distro

Question Re: Beryl & Compiz-Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by gjoellee View Post
    I don't think uninstalling emerald is necessary, uninstall compiz:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove compiz*
    and install compiz by clicking on the link below
    apt://compizconfig-settings-manager /you might have to wait up to 15sec, but it is a one click install and worth it)!

Should I reinstall compiz first, even though the git-script will take care of that when installing fusion?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

No, you must have everything Compiz Fusion related (from the default install) removed before using the git-script (even Emerald). Otherwise, you could have a conflict because 2 versions of the same thing will be installed.

Make sure everything is removed. Don't reinstall anything and then run the git-script. Most scripts will install Compiz Fusion (in its entirety) and Emerald. If you're going to use that script, don't use the link gjoellee provided.

This should remove the CF that comes with Hardy (run this command in terminal):

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove compiz compiz-bcop compizconfig-backend-gconf compizconfig-settings-manager compiz-core compiz-dev compiz-fusion-plugins-extra compiz-fusion-plugins-main compiz-gnome compiz-plugins emerald libemeraldengine0 libcompizconfig0 libdecoration0 python-compizconfig simple-ccsm fusion-icon
    Once you've removed everything, go ahead and use the script to install CF. Then you're done!
    Last edited by isaacj87; August 12th, 2008 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Added something
    Laptop: [AMD Vision A4-3300M | 8GB RAM | ATI Radeon 6480G | Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit]

Studio Box: [AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ | 4GB RAM | Nvidia 210 | M-Audio FastTrackPro | KXStudio 11.04 64-bit | 2.6.31-rt14-custom | KDE 4.6.5]

Beans
    Distro

Ok, so I ran that line of code you gave me, but one thing that I noticed is that Beryl is still listed under the session options on the login screen. The perhaps could be a matter of editing a file, but is there a chance that I missed something?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast