Thread: Skype and other things with Parallels/Virtual Machine?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Skype and other things with Parallels/Virtual Machine?

Hi guys,

Quick question about Parallels/VMWare: If Skype doesn't work with microphone and camera mode on ubuntu (tried a lot and it didn't work), should I be able to use one of the above softwares to run windows in parallel to use it via windows? This is purely generally speaking, because it is one of the things that I haven't got to work yet in ubuntu (but works well on XP) and will soon be heavily relying on again.
    If so, which one would you suggest?

the other software that I would need to use in the near future is ChemDraw (sorry, I'm slightly different kind of geek) which doesn't have any support in linux (yet) afaik. any idea whether I can copy/paste structures from VMWare into open office document?

cheers,

Nebelhom
    Last edited by Nebelhom; August 11th, 2008 at 12:59 PM. Reason: mispelt my own name ;)

Beans

Re: Skype and other things with Parallels/Virtual Machine?

To answer your second question: I use VMWare the other way (run Ubuntu on Windows)...but I can not copy and paste between them...if I select "Copy" in the virtual machine, then that data is stored on the Virtual Machines clipboard, not the host.

However, you can run Open Office on the Virtual Windows installation, and save a document from there to a shared resource.

Beans
    Distro

Poo! ;( Ok, first drawback if it is true for the other way round - windows in ubuntu, that is (don't see why not).

Ah well, thanks anyways, I'll probably just try to use Skype via this. Which software would be good? Afaik, VMWare is free and Parallels commercially available... that right?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

There's no reason not to try skype. I was able to get a USB phone to work in an Ubuntu hosted XP guest in vmware but it wouldn't work in Ubuntu.

I've been using vmware server for at least 3 years now with zero complaints.

There's also a new open source virtual machine called virtualbox, but some people seem to have difficulty getting networking set up correctly.

As for ChemDraw, Wine might be an option for you: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...ation&iId=3060

Code:
    sudo aptitude install wine
    Last edited by dmizer; August 11th, 2008 at 05:54 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Hey thanks dmizer,

you're giving me some hope at least . Will try it right after work.

I never gave Wine a try for this reason.

cheers guys

Nebelhom

EDIT: Sorry, I just found out that there have been made advances by the Wine team to get ChemDraw to work now. According to their website it has a gold rating now.

...Should have researched into the topic a bit more. stupid me.
    Last edited by Nebelhom; August 11th, 2008 at 06:40 PM. Reason: For completion...