Thread: Erased my Windows Master Boot Loader

Beans

Erased my Windows Master Boot Loader

Hi... I tried to installed Ubuntu Studio 64 as a dual boot and somehow corrupted the boot loader. I decide to just run the 'factory' rescue disc for Vista and reinstall Ubuntu. The problem is that the rescue disc claimed that the boot loader cannot be found. As a result I reinstalled Ubuntu over the entirety of the drive, wiping everything out. My question is: is there a way to restore the boot loader to Windows Vista specifications through Ubuntu so that a rescue disc will set my computer back to factory settings?

HP Pavilion dv6000

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: Erased my Windows Master Boot Loader

you'll have to install vista for that.

but why didn't you ask here first when the bootloader got corrupted? that could have been easily fixed.

Beans

All I have is the rescue disc(not an installation CD) and although it overrides grub it doesn't recognize the boot loader it creates... I thought maybe there was a way to partition the boot loader and specify it to Vista's demand. install vista, then attempt to dual boot again.
    If not, I am happy with Linux....

sandysandy is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Sandy

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Hmmm, well, you could torrent a vista edition, just install it and then it should setup the vista boot loader... drivers and activation and stuff shouldn't matter as you will then override it again with your recovery cd.

Beans

Ha.... I came to the same conclusion about a torrent.... The one I'm downloading seems to be taking forever though, however, I'm glad to find that u believe that will work, since, I fear I may have to go through the re-installation process once again if I'm wrong. as for now I'll check the sites from the previous post.... To ask another question is there anyone that I should alert if a torrent works or fails for future situations similar to mine??? Since I expect the torrent to take a few days.
    Last edited by liquidphilosopher; August 11th, 2008 at 10:44 AM.