Thread: CS Source Issue

Beans

CS Source Issue

I just got rid of Windows yesterday and I'm in the process of getting my important items up and running. I lurked some forums before I installed Steam and such and seemed to have a pretty good handle on things until I actually tried running the game. Upon launching, I see the load screen working fine, but once it gets to the point where you would normally see the menu options, my screen goes black. I can still hear the mouse when I roll over the menu options, I'm just not getting any visuals.

I have my ATI drivers installed and I've made sure that all of the 3d settings were turned off in compiz. Other than that I'm not sure what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much in advance.

Beans

Re: CS Source Issue

I've been plugging away trying to troubleshoot and I don't know if I would exactly say I've made progress, but perhaps you could call it that. I installed some updates and used envyng. Now when I run CSS, I can see the main game menu in a very jumbled form. It looks like the screen has been broken into a puzzle of very large pixels. I tried to take a screen cap of it, but it wouldn't work. Basically, the program starts up and I can hear the mouse moving over the menu options, but the screen looks like a mess.

I thought about just downloading Urban Terror, but I would really like to get CSS up and running. Going back to Windows is not even an option, so someone please help me figure this out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Did you install envy before playing the game?

Beans

Yes I did, but I just got it working! I just happened to try emulating the virtual desktop and then used WINEDEBUG="fixme-all" wine "c:/program files/steam/steam.exe" to open steam and it runs as smooth as it ever did on Windows. The only thing I need to figure out now is how to make it full screen.

Beans
    Distro

3d doesn't work in a virtual desktop. Make it fullscreen using the options within CS:S!

Beans

Easy enough. Everything is now working wonderfully. Thanks for your help.

Beans

Thought I would bump this instead of making a whole new thread, as it is still a cs source issue.

I have gotten the game to run, but my fps seem to really dip when I up the resolution. To fix this, I tried lowering it and then doing the same in the screen resolution from within ubuntu so it would be full screen. Whenever I try doing that, however, the screen turns into what I described earlier on in a previous post and I have to ctrl+alt+backspace.

Also, not sure if this is a problem with Wine or not, I've read some conflicting views in assorted threads, but my ping is sucking. I usually would be anywhere from 30-50 when I was playing on Windows, but now I am always at least around 100. Some things I've read said that Cedega works better with CSS, but I don't know if I want to pay for it, or if it is even necessary. Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro

Cedega is terrible, don't buy it!
    Try playing it windowed mode, that's what I do with CS:S and other games!