Thread: noob needs Help!!!

Hybrid View

Beans

noob needs Help!!!

Hey guys,

I'm having some problems with Ubuntu, I don't know if this happens to anyone else but the OS laggs like crazy idk, and sometimes it just dies. It freezes and idk what to do. Is there something like Ctrl+Alt+Delete command from windows in Ubuntu.

And

How do I make the partition for Ubuntu bigger? and how can I remove the windows partition completely without destroying some files?

Is there a nero (CD/DVD/ISO burner) substitute for linux?

Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: noob needs Help!!!

Before you go tinkering with disk partitions, make sure that you make a backup of your important data!

For burning disks (e.g. like with Nero), have a look here: https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/musicvi...s/C/index.html
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    Before you go tinkering with disk partitions, make sure that you make a backup of your important data!

For burning disks (e.g. like with Nero), have a look here: https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/musicvi...s/C/index.html
    I want to move my files to the Ubuntu partition, but there is not enough room. But there is plenty of room in the MS partition.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by imput1234 View Post
    I want to move my files to the Ubuntu partition, but there is not enough room. But there is plenty of room in the MS partition.
    You have a number of options.

If you can afford it (or if you have a friend with a spare one that you can borrow) one option is a separate hard disk that you use as a temporary storage area while you are moving things around and resizing your partitions.

Another option is to copy everything to a data CD or DVD.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

It is adviced to use a descriptive topic title, that means a topic title that gives some clue about the content in the thread itself...

A generic topic title like "noob here" or "need help" does not help at all. As you may have noticed, just about everyone posting in here has some kind of a problem or issue or question

And it is also adviced to use seperate threads for unrelated problems so that you can mark each one individually as solved.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hyper_ch View Post
    It is adviced to use a descriptive topic title, that means a topic title that gives some clue about the content in the thread itself...

A generic topic title like "noob here" or "need help" does not help at all. As you may have noticed, just about everyone posting in here has some kind of a problem or issue or question

And it is also adviced to use seperate threads for unrelated problems so that you can mark each one individually as solved.

Alright, I'll remember that in the future. Well, it is still happening, the whole damn OS freezes and no key stroke and no mouse clicks works.

Does anyone have a clue why this is happening?

Also 1 update does not work:

linux-image-2.6.24-19-generic

anyone know how to fix that.

thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

ubuntu installs brasero for disk burning, and ther are command line tools.
    we'll need some system specs to help you with freeze ups...you probably need boot options.
    check out gparted live cd for resizing your partitions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hmm what applications are you running when your system laggs/freezes etc..
    And the thing that you are looking for that is like the Task manager for Windows is System Monitor (System>Administration>System Monitor)

Blog | I'm available for programming contributions. C & Python.
    Intel Core i7 920 | EVGA x58 SLI | NVidia GeForce 8600 GT | WD 500GB HDD | Corsair XMS3 3GB | Ubuntu 9.04

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by OutOfReach View Post
    Hmm what applications are you running when your system laggs/freezes etc..
    And the thing that you are looking for that is like the Task manager for Windows is System Monitor (System>Administration>System Monitor)
    Every time the OS freezes is when I'm running firefox, but it happens arbitrarily. For example, I tried to reply to this thread and it froze and I needed to reboot.

The specs: I'm currently using a laptop: Acer Aspire 5102

AMD 64 x2 TL50 1.6ghz, 512kb l2 cache
    ATI Radeon Xpress 1100
    120GB HD
    1GB DDR2

Is there a short cut to bring up System Monitor, is there also a short cut to bring up the terminal.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Interesting, you can just press ALT+F2 and type in 'gnome-terminal' for the terminal and 'gnome-system-monitor' for the System Monitor.

Blog | I'm available for programming contributions. C & Python.
    Intel Core i7 920 | EVGA x58 SLI | NVidia GeForce 8600 GT | WD 500GB HDD | Corsair XMS3 3GB | Ubuntu 9.04