Page 5 of 121 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Comprehensive ndiswrapper troubleshooting guide

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Comprehensive ndiswrapper troubleshooting guide

I did not include the screen shot so hope to enter it here.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Right after I sent the last reply, I checked back on the terminal screen and found the following changes:

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Usually Rutilt gives that error about not finding the MAC address when the wireless card gets unplugged. Are you sure that it was securely in place and that you didn't accidentally move it or something? If you are sure, then please try running Rutilt again as you did before (i.e. by typing 'sudo rutilt'), and if you get the 'critical error' again, please immediately open a terminal and type:
    Code:
    dmesg | tail
    and post the output.

Also, were you actually able to connect? In your second screenshot it looks like you're associated with a network, but don't have an IP address. Make sure that you select the box in Rutilt to use dhcp (it may be under an "advanced options" section, I believe) in order to get an IP address. Or connect to the network in Rutilt as you did before, then type in a terminal:
    Code:
    sudo dhclient wlan0
    and you should be assigned an IP.

Beans

dear pytheas22
    I have an acer laptop with AMD 64 athalon processor, nVidia chipset & graphics, 1 Gb mem & an atheros AR242x wlan card. I use Ubuntu 8.04 with restricted nvidia drivers for the graphics. The Wlan was working well with ndiswrapper + windows driver. About a month ago it stopped working and I have not been able to figure out why. Using the terminal window I have run the tests you have listed including dmseg. Everything looks normal, but the wireless still does not work.

Beans
    Distro

dear pytheas22
    I have an acer laptop with AMD 64 athalon processor, nVidia chipset & graphics, 1 Gb mem & an atheros AR242x wlan card. I use Ubuntu 8.04 with restricted nvidia drivers for the graphics. The Wlan was working well with ndiswrapper + windows driver. About a month ago it stopped working and I have not been able to figure out why. Using the terminal window I have run the tests you have listed including dmseg. Everything looks normal, but the wireless still does not work.
    It sounds like your wireless card is detected correctly by the system, but you can't connect for some reason. You can see networks, right? Did you try connecting without encryption to see if that helps? You may want to try using wicd instead of Network Manager to connect; many people have better luck with wicd.

You can also use madwifi to drive this card now instead of ndiswrapper. The version of madwifi that ships with Ubuntu doesn't work, but if you compile a later release from source, it should. If you want to give that a try, you can install the latest madwifi by running these commands (this will completely remove your current ndiswrapper installation):
    Code:
    echo 'blacklist ndiswrapper' | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    echo 'ath_pci' | sudo tee -a /etc/modules
    sudo apt-get remove --purge ndiswrapper*
    sudo apt-get install build-essential
    wget http://snapshots.madwifi.org/madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6/madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6-r3835-20080801.tar.gz
    tar -zxvf madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6-r3835-20080801.tar.gz
    cd madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6-r3835-20080801
    sudo make
    sudo make install
    (then reboot for the new madwifi drivers to take effect)

If neither wicd nor compiling the latest madwifi helps (or you don't want to compile the latest madwifi), let's start a new thread to figure this out (I don't think it's a good idea to continue in this thread because things will get convoluted). Please include the output of the command:
    Code:
    lspci -nn | grep -e atheros
    in your new thread, let me know the URL, and I'll respond there.
    Last edited by pytheas22; September 17th, 2008 at 03:43 PM.

Beans

Thanks for helping me.

So I need ssb for b44 to work. ssb isn't blacklisted, and I cant find it anywhere. I tried:

Code:
    lsmod | grep -e ssb
    ****got nothing***

Code:
    sudo modprobe ssb
    FATAL: Module ssb not found.
    Where has ssb gone? I must have had it at some stage, how can I bring it back? Should I even bother given that youve already given me a perfectly good solution which I am extremely grateful for?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by pytheas22 View Post
    Usually Rutilt gives that error about not finding the MAC address when the wireless card gets unplugged. Are you sure that it was securely in place and that you didn't accidentally move it or something? If you are sure, then please try running Rutilt again as you did before (i.e. by typing 'sudo rutilt'), and if you get the 'critical error' again, please immediately open a terminal and type:
    Code:
    dmesg | tail
    and post the output.

Also, were you actually able to connect? In your second screenshot it looks like you're associated with a network, but don't have an IP address. Make sure that you select the box in Rutilt to use dhcp (it may be under an "advanced options" section, I believe) in order to get an IP address. Or connect to the network in Rutilt as you did before, then type in a terminal:
    Code:
    sudo dhclient wlan0
    and you should be assigned an IP.
    It looks like some success but still not able to run on wireless. I used a screenshot here to show both the terminal activity and one page of the RutilT screen (profiles). The last 17 lines occured after I checked the "Apply" box in the RutilT profiles box.

Beans
    Distro

So I need ssb for b44 to work. ssb isn't blacklisted, and I cant find it anywhere. I tried:

Code:

lsmod | grep -e ssb

****got nothing***

Code:

sudo modprobe ssb
    FATAL: Module ssb not found.
    That's strange. I have no idea why ssb would not exist at all. You could try running:
    Code:
    locate ssb.ko
    which would return the exact location of the ssb module on your system, wherever it exists. Does it find anything?

I'm confused though regarding what you're trying to do. Does your ethernet work now under ndiswrapper, but you wanted to try using b44 instead? Or are you trying to load b44 in addition to ndiswrapper+b44win?
    It looks like some success but still not able to run on wireless. I used a screenshot here to show both the terminal activity and one page of the RutilT screen (profiles). The last 17 lines occured after I checked the "Apply" box in the RutilT profiles box.
    Did you try pressing 'Apply' a few times? With one card Rutilt only connected me on the second try, always, for some reason. You can also try connecting manually by running:
    Code:
    sudo iwconfig wlan0 mode managed channel 11 essid "Rods Wireless"
    sudo dhclient wlan0
    Does that get you an IP?

And your router is set up for dynamic IP served via dhcp, right?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by pytheas22 View Post
    That's strange. I have no idea why ssb would not exist at all. You could try running:
    Code:
    locate ssb.ko
    which would return the exact location of the ssb module on your system, wherever it exists. Does it find anything?

I'm confused though regarding what you're trying to do. Does your ethernet work now under ndiswrapper, but you wanted to try using b44 instead? Or are you trying to load b44 in addition to ndiswrapper+b44win?

Did you try pressing 'Apply' a few times? With one card Rutilt only connected me on the second try, always, for some reason. You can also try connecting manually by running:
    Code:
    sudo dhclient wlan0
    Does that get you an IP?

And your router is set up for dynamic IP served via dhcp, right?
    Yes, when I run sudo Rutilt and check link status I get an IP address of 192.168.2.7 and when I go to Options it says:
    the interface is currently UP at 54Mbps and
    under site Survey says:
    signal -30 Noise -256 Authorizaion WPAPSK
    I do not know how to check to see if my router is set for dynamic IP served via dhcp, is there a way to check that?
    I have also noted that after i run sudo Rutilt I can not reply to these forums, I restart and then I can. Now I also have an ethernet line plugged in at the same time as the USB Wireless card--can that be part of the problem. Perhaps I should disconnect from the wired interface when trying to have the wireless USB plugged in. Thanks again for being so patient with me, I know I have been a pain in the uknow what. Rodney

Beans
    Distro

Yes, when I run sudo Rutilt and check link status I get an IP address of 192.168.2.7 and when I go to Options it says:
    the interface is currently UP at 54Mbps and
    under site Survey says:
    signal -30 Noise -256 Authorizaion WPAPSK
    I do not know how to check to see if my router is set for dynamic IP served via dhcp, is there a way to check that?
    I have also noted that after i run sudo Rutilt I can not reply to these forums, I restart and then I can. Now I also have an ethernet line plugged in at the same time as the USB Wireless card--can that be part of the problem. Perhaps I should disconnect from the wired interface when trying to have the wireless USB plugged in. Thanks again for being so patient with me, I know I have been a pain in the uknow what. Rodney
    I'm glad to help, although perhaps we should start a new thread for your issue (which doesn't really have to do with ndiswrapper) just to avoid making this one too convoluted.

If you are getting an IP address on your wireless interface and appear to have a decent signal strength yet can't load web pages, then perhaps you are having an issue with DNS. Please unplug your ethernet wire, connect to your wireless network using Rutilt, then run these commands and please post all of the output of each of them:
    Code:
    ifconfig wlan0
    sudo dhclient wlan0
    cat /etc/resolv.conf
    wget google.com
    wget 64.233.187.99
    host google.com
    That should help pin down any DNS possibilities. From the standpoint of the driver itself, everything looks like it's working properly.

Also as I said above, we should probably continue this discussion in another thread. So please open up a new one, post the information above in the new thread, and tell us the URL of the new thread so I can respond there.

Page 5 of 121 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast