Quality:10/100 Signal level:-89 dBm Noise level:-96 dBm
    Encryption keyff
    Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s
    9 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s
    48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
    Extra:bcn_int=100
    Extra:atim=0

jk@jk-dell:~$ dmesg | grep -e ndis -e eth1 -e wlan
    [ 19.240000] ndiswrapper version 1.53 loaded (smp=yes, preempt=no)
    [ 19.312000] ndiswrapper: driver bcmwl5 (Broadcom,10/12/2006, 4.100.15.5) loaded
    [ 19.320000] ndiswrapper: using IRQ 5
    [ 19.676000] wlan0: ethernet device 00:14:a5:0e:c6:35 using NDIS driver: bcmwl5, version: 0x4640f05, NDIS version: 0x501, vendor: 'NDIS Network Adapter', 14E4:4318.5.conf
    [ 19.676000] wlan0: encryption modes supported: WEP; TKIP with WPA, WPA2, WPA2PSK; AES/CCMP with WPA, WPA2, WPA2PSK
    [ 19.676000] usbcore: registered new interface driver ndiswrapper
    [ 19.700000] ndiswrapper: changing interface name from 'wlan0' to 'eth1'
    [ 203.676000] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth1: link is not ready
    jk@jk-dell:~$

I'll mention at this point that the only wireless I will see is that of a neighbor's which is seen by Windows XP as "low" (not trying to connect to their network and it's fine with them for testing purposes anyway). Once I can see that network, I'll assume things are setup correctly. Then I'll borrow a friend's wireless router to test the connection.

Beans

Re: Comprehensive ndiswrapper troubleshooting guide

OK.

Your thumbnails came through after I refreshed the page. I realized that I hadn't added the network icon to the panel. Now that I have that up there I can click it.

I see eth0 and lo under connection name. no eth1.

I can go to network settings, select a network name that appears (10%), enable that connection and now see the wireless connection with an essid and address. But I don't see that network by clicking the network icons in the upper panel. I just get eth0 and the wireless is eth1.

Beans

btw
    where your network settings window shows "enable roaming" mine says "enable this connection".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Yes, you can definitely see a network named "dlink" when scanning from the command-line, so it appears that your wireless card itself is at least working. I don't know why the GUI tools don't want to recognize your card, however. Have you tried rebooting?

You may want to try installing wicd. It will require you to uninstall Network Manager, but may work better.

At this point I think that the "backend" of your wireless connection is working, which is the hardest and most important part--now we just need to figure out how to make the pretty graphical interface play nicely with your wireless card.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pytheas22 View Post
    John164918a,

I'm not sure exactly what's going on--the errors seem pretty generic--but perhaps the easiest solution would be to write a boot script that would automatically reinstall the Windows driver into ndiswrapper each time you boot your computer, since you say that doing that manually is the trick to getting the connection working.

To test that that solution would actually work, please try running these commands (before doing anything else) after the next reboot where the wired connection is not working:
    Code:
    sudo rmmod ndiswrapper
    sudo ndiswrapper -r b44win
    sudo ndiswrapper -i /path/to/b44win.inf
    sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
    (note that you have to give the correct path to the location of the b44win.inf file). After that, hopefully the wired connection will work.

If that doesn't work, please post the output of:
    Code:
    lshw -C Network
    ndiswrapper -l
    By the way, are you sure that you really need ndiswrapper in order to drive your ethernet card? I know it's possible to use ndiswrapper for ethernet, but I've never heard of anyone actually doing so, as virtually every ethernet card in the world should be supported by a native driver (b44 in your case, I think)--although perhaps your problem results from blacklisting issues with b44, which you probably needed to add to the blacklist in order to allow ndiswrapper (and not b43/ssb) to control your wireless card, which also has a Broadcom chip.
    Hi pytheas,

I am having the same problem like John16*'s the only thing is I'm using a wireless network. Every reboot doesn't guarantee a connection. I have tried sudo dhclient wlan0 but to no avail receiving only a "sleeping" error. I recently found out (after many trials and tears) that the way to be assigned a new IP address was to manually remove net5211.inf in the windows driver gui and install it again.

Is there a script for this to happen at each time I boot? I'm not familiar with script coding and couldn't find one in the internet.

Need help!

Beans

OK, sorry for the delay, but i couldn't get on with wired. after a while i started to see the eth1 with the icon. but my basic wired connection stopped. i rebooted and seem to be back on track.

once i go to network settings and enable eth1, it takes a while but in a few minutes eth1 shows up with the icon in the top panel.

i'm trying to figure out a consistent pattern so i know how this works.

oddities:

when i couldn't get on with the wired connection i switched to windows xp (dual boot system) and in that wireless connection there was no dlink, but NETGEAR. under network settings, wireless connection, properties, network name drop down menu i see dlink and a very weak linksys, but no NETGEAR.

now what i see when clicking on the icon is the connection properties window. the drop down menu shows eth0 - sending/receiving, lo (whatever this is)- idle, and eth1 :avahi disconnected. if i go to network settings under administration then the wireless connection is enabled. i turned off the wireless radio in xp. could this turn it off on the hardware level so that it is turned off for any operating system. i'll check that out.

but why the difference in what wireless networks are being picked up by the different OS's? and what's eth1 :avahi?

Beans

further testing:

when i disable the radio in XP, it seems that the wireless doesn't work even though all settings in ubuntu are enabled. in this state i see eth1 :avahi.

when i go back and enable the radio in XP, then reboot in Ubuntu, then i see eth1 (no avahi) and the connection shows a signal strength and seems lively. again, i didn't change any settings in network settings.

HOWEVER when the radio is enabled in XP, in Ubuntu both eth1 and eth0 seem to show that they are sending/receiving, there is NO internet connection. Disabling the eth1 doesn't help. Switching to eth0 in the dropdown menu and restarting firefox doesn't help either. No internet.

I go back, disable the radio in XP, reboot to Ubuntu with eth1 not enabled, then I connect using eth0, no problem. I don't even see eth1 or eth1 :avahi in the drop down menu from the upper pane icon. If I then enable eth1 via network settings, after a couple of minutes i see eth1 :avahi listed as disconnected in the aforementioned drop down menu.

This would seem to indicate that the control in XP is shutting down the wireless on a fundamental level. But why no internet connection even with eth0 when the radio is enabled in XP? Is there a conflict in the system somewhere?

also the other strange item mentioned before where XP and Ubuntu are seeing different wireless signals with no common ground.

Beans

sorry for all the addendums, but i'm trying to figure out how this works. And I hope that it will help others.

i'm getting the hang of it. when the wifi is enabled on XP, then in Ubuntu I can use either eth0 or eth1. I just have to enable one of these. If both are enabled, then neither works. I'm just guessing that I can connect with eth1 wireless as I believe the signal i'm picking up is too weak to use (even though the network connection window shows it at 50%. i think this is inaccurate). I'll test this further when i borrow a friends wifi router.

Normally there is a way to use the Fn-F2 combo to turn on and off the wifi radio, but this seems to be disabled by the Dell Network Utility that is favored by this model (instead of using the native windows utility).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

sagesparrow,

It is possible that turning off the radio in XP causes it to remain disabled in Ubuntu. ndiswrapper should be able to turn the radio on, but in some cases Linux drivers have trouble doing that, and since we're dealing with ndiswrapper (which depends on closed-source Windows drivers), it's difficult to troubleshoot the problem. Maybe using a different version of the Windows driver would help, but maybe not. Your best bet may be to leave the radio enabled permanently. It will waste a bit of battery I suppose, but not that much really--and anyway if you just remove the ndiswrapper module in Ubuntu ('sudo rmmod ndiswrapper') when you don't need wireless, your card should not use any energy at all.

The eth1:avahi interface gets created usually when you can't get a valid IP address for some reason and instead get assigned an internal one. Does the IP address for eth1:avahi look like 169.254.x.x 'lo' is an internal virtual interface (used to connect to 'localhost'); it's not relevant to this situation.

I'm not sure why you're seeing different networks in Ubuntu than in Windows, but it could just be that differences in the signal strength are causing you to see different ones. Or the card could be operating on a different frequency (e.g. 11b vs. 11g mode).

Let us know if you're actually able to connect to a network from Ubuntu once you have one with better signal strength. After all, that's the essential objective.

I am having the same problem like John16*'s the only thing is I'm using a wireless network. Every reboot doesn't guarantee a connection. I have tried sudo dhclient wlan0 but to no avail receiving only a "sleeping" error. I recently found out (after many trials and tears) that the way to be assigned a new IP address was to manually remove net5211.inf in the windows driver gui and install it again.

Is there a script for this to happen at each time I boot? I'm not familiar with script coding and couldn't find one in the internet.
    edyeeh,

Yes, you can write a script to do this. First, open up a blank file by typing:
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/init.d/wifi-fix.sh
    Add to the files these lines:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash

rmmod ndiswrapper
    ndiswrapper -r net5211
    ndiswrapper -i /path/to/net5211.inf
    modprobe ndiswrapper
    ifconfig wlan0 up
    Be sure to replace '/path/to/net5211.inf' with the correct location of the net5211.inf file on your system (and also make sure that the .sys file is in that same folder). For example, if net5211.inf is on your desktop, you should write 'ndiswrapper -i /home/<username>/Desktop/net5211.inf'

Once you've filled in the script, save and close the file, then run these commands so that it will be run at boot:
    Code:
    cd /etc/init.d
    sudo -s
    chmod +x wifi-fix.sh
    update-rc.d wifi-fix.sh
    That should cause the Windows driver to be reinstalled automatically each time you boot, which will hopefully solve the problem. If it doesn't, let me know.

Beans

i'm on. i tried wicd and network settings and find wicd easier and faster.
    much thanks for your very very helpful and knowledgable service, pytheas22!!

Page 9 of 121 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast