Page 6 of 121 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Comprehensive ndiswrapper troubleshooting guide

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Comprehensive ndiswrapper troubleshooting guide

Per your suggestion, moved to a new thread titled "Zonet Problems" Hope to continue there, thanks again. Rodney

Beans

I have a problem, although I'm not sure its related to ndiswrapper:

My HP Pavillion 6835 has a Broadcom chipset and I use ndiswrapper.

The problem is: wireless goes very well with WEP based encription but I cannot connect to WPA based networks.

This is repeatable: I've never found a WPA based AP to which I could connect and I am always able to connect to WEP based APs.

I've tested the connection to WPA APs under windows with the same laptop (dual boot) and it works (ie: I know the password!)

I've tried witl NetworkManager with Wlassistant and with WICD, all work the same.

When connecting to WPA APs I cannot get an IP number from dhcp the procedure stops waiting for a DHCPOFFER.

I'd appreciate any suggestion.

Here follows my ndiswrapper data:

[ 51.186526] ndiswrapper version 1.52 loaded (smp=no, preempt=no)
    [ 51.397682] ndiswrapper: driver bcmwl5 (Broadcom,09/20/2007, 4.170.25.12) loaded
    [ 51.411839] ndiswrapper: using IRQ 17
    [ 51.724834] wlan0: ethernet device 00:21:00:08:c1:0d using NDIS driver: bcmwl5, version: 0x4aa190c, NDIS version: 0x501, vendor: 'NDIS Network Adapter', 14E4:4315.5.conf
    [ 51.724940] wlan0: encryption modes supported: WEP; TKIP with WPA, WPA2, WPA2PSK; AES/CCMP with WPA, WPA2, WPA2PSK
    [ 51.737935] usbcore: registered new interface driver ndiswrapper
    [ 51.739041] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready
    [ 82.824035] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready
    [ 83.554338] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): wlan0: link becomes ready
    [ 87.167480] wlan0: no IPv6 routers present
    [ 92.444951] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready
    [ 92.828159] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): wlan0: link becomes ready
    [ 94.194159] wlan0: no IPv6 routers present

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by lfini View Post
    I have a problem, although I'm not sure its related to ndiswrapper:

My HP Pavillion 6835 has a Broadcom chipset and I use ndiswrapper.

The problem is: wireless goes very well with WEP based encription but I cannot connect to WPA based networks.

This is repeatable: I've never found a WPA based AP to which I could connect and I am always able to connect to WEP based APs.

I've tested the connection to WPA APs under windows with the same laptop (dual boot) and it works (ie: I know the password!)

I've tried witl NetworkManager with Wlassistant and with WICD, all work the same.

When connecting to WPA APs I cannot get an IP number from dhcp the procedure stops waiting for a DHCPOFFER.

I'd appreciate any suggestion.

Here follows my ndiswrapper data:

[ 51.186526] ndiswrapper version 1.52 loaded (smp=no, preempt=no)
    [ 51.397682] ndiswrapper: driver bcmwl5 (Broadcom,09/20/2007, 4.170.25.12) loaded
    [ 51.411839] ndiswrapper: using IRQ 17
    [ 51.724834] wlan0: ethernet device 00:21:00:08:c1:0d using NDIS driver: bcmwl5, version: 0x4aa190c, NDIS version: 0x501, vendor: 'NDIS Network Adapter', 14E4:4315.5.conf
    [ 51.724940] wlan0: encryption modes supported: WEP; TKIP with WPA, WPA2, WPA2PSK; AES/CCMP with WPA, WPA2, WPA2PSK
    [ 51.737935] usbcore: registered new interface driver ndiswrapper
    [ 51.739041] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready
    [ 82.824035] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready
    [ 83.554338] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): wlan0: link becomes ready
    [ 87.167480] wlan0: no IPv6 routers present
    [ 92.444951] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready
    [ 92.828159] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): wlan0: link becomes ready
    [ 94.194159] wlan0: no IPv6 routers present
    Sometimes it happens that certain Windows drivers don't support WPA under ndiswrapper, even though they should. On this page there are links to different drivers for your card (search the page for the PCI ID, 14E4:4315, to find the links). You may want to try removing your current Windows driver and installing one of the ones from those links to see if it works better. If you need help installing them, or figuring out how to extract the necessary files from the .exe's, let me know.

It could also possibly help to compile the latest version of ndiswrapper from source, but not necessarily. I'd try an alternate Windows driver first.

You might also want to try switching the settings on your router--for for instance, try WPA1 instead of WPA2, or use AES encryption instead of TKIP. This may make a difference too.

Also, you may want to give this thread a try for your card. It will install a closed-source native driver from Broadcom. Not all chipsets are supported but I searched that thread and several people seem to have had success with your chipset.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

8.04 Ndiswrapper WUSB54G v4 stop working after recent upgrade

So, I was humming along fine with Ndiswrapper, but got itchy with the little update symbol and clicked ahead to update. Now, I no longer have internet. As stated, I have a WUSB54G v4. Ndiswrapper still recognizes it and everything seems normal except for actually connecting via the new Network Manager interface. I'm running 64-bit ubuntu and am using a 64-bit windows drive under ndiswrapper. I tried reinstalling ndiswrapper with a manual compile. I tried switching back to the native RT2570 driver, but it is also no longer working. Could there be a problem with the new Network Manager? What else should I try?

Beans
    Distro

So, I was humming along fine with Ndiswrapper, but got itchy with the little update symbol and clicked ahead to update. Now, I no longer have internet. As stated, I have a WUSB54G v4. Ndiswrapper still recognizes it and everything seems normal except for actually connecting via the new Network Manager interface. I'm running 64-bit ubuntu and am using a 64-bit windows drive under ndiswrapper. I tried reinstalling ndiswrapper with a manual compile. I tried switching back to the native RT2570 driver, but it is also no longer working. Could there be a problem with the new Network Manager? What else should I try?
    There are a few things to try. First, can you connect if you use wicd instead of Network Manager? Second, if you boot to an older kernel (you should have several kernels to choose from at the grub boot menu that you see when you start your computer), do things work? Third, if you're using encryption, can you connect with it disabled?

Are you sure that ndiswrapper is still driving the card, not rt2570? You can tell by looking at the output of 'lshw -C Network'.

If you can't figure this out, please open up a new thread (just so that things don't get too confusing here) and let me know the URL, and I'll respond there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by pytheas22 View Post
    There are a few things to try. First, can you connect if you use wicd instead of Network Manager? Second, if you boot to an older kernel (you should have several kernels to choose from at the grub boot menu that you see when you start your computer), do things work? Third, if you're using encryption, can you connect with it disabled?

Are you sure that ndiswrapper is still driving the card, not rt2570? You can tell by looking at the output of 'lshw -C Network'.

If you can't figure this out, please open up a new thread (just so that things don't get too confusing here) and let me know the URL, and I'll respond there.
    I'm working on trying more of your suggestions. Here's more of what I've done so far:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5830581

Beans

Hello Pytheas22, I'm afraid I have ruined my wireless internet. Previously It was working well except for b44 not working because ssb wasn't on the list of modules that could be loaded. I was trying to use this driver instead of b44win under ndiswrapper, which you might say was pointless.

Anyway, Hardy froze randomly, and I found the problem, the grub I was using was in another linux partition, and was loading an old ubuntu kernel, 2.6.24.14 rather than 2.6.24.19. This is rectified and it no longer freezes randomly. Plus, ssb and b44 both get loaded and give me perfect wired ethernet. It also loads ndiswrapper, which then doesn't work. (I unloaded b44win but kept bcmwl6)

Code:
    dmesg | grep -e ndis -e wlan
    [   32.988964] ndiswrapper version 1.52 loaded (smp=yes, preempt=no)
    [   33.132417] usbcore: registered new interface driver ndiswrapper
    this is really quiet compared to the previous output, posted on the first page of this thread, which had a line about each windows driver being loaded.

Code:
    ndiswrapper -l
    bcmwl6 : driver installed
    	device (14E4:4311) present (alternate driver: bcm43xx)
    so my driver is loaded.

Heres something that might be a bit suspect:
    Code:
    lshw -C network
    WARNING: you should run this program as super-user.
      *-network               
           description: Network controller
           product: BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN
           vendor: Broadcom Corporation
           physical id: 0
           bus info: pci@0000:0b:00.0
           version: 01
           width: 32 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: bus_master cap_list
           configuration: driver=b43-pci-bridge latency=0 module=ssb
    I've only posted the first entry here. Shouldn't the driver be ndiswrapper? Especially now that I've tried blacklisting b43-pci-bridge.

Code:
    depmod -n | grep alias | grep -v ':' | grep -i b43-pci-bridge
    *nothing happens*

What is going on??? Please please please help me

Beans
    Distro

John164918a,

Yes, b43 is still driving your card for some reason, preventing ndiswrapper from loading. Sometimes modules load even though they're on the blacklist, so that's probably what's going on.

If you type:

Code:
    sudo rmmod b43
    sudo rmmod b43legacy
    sudo rmmod b44
    sudo rmmod ssb
    sudo rmmod ndiswrapper
    sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
    sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
    then that should manually remove b43 and related modules and allow ndiswrapper to drive your card (if you get errors saying 'error: module XXX does not exist in /proc/modules', just ignore them and go on to the next command). Thereafter, the output of 'lshw -C Network' should show ndiswrapper driving it, not 'b43-pci-bridge' Does it work? If it solves the problem, you can write a boot script to remove those modules automatically each time you turn on the computer.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pytheas22 View Post
    Sometimes it happens that certain Windows drivers don't support WPA under ndiswrapper, even though they should. On this page there are links to different drivers for your card (search the page for the PCI ID, 14E4:4315, to find the links). You may want to try removing your current Windows driver and installing one of the ones from those links to see if it works better. If you need help installing them, or figuring out how to extract the necessary files from the .exe's, let me know.

It could also possibly help to compile the latest version of ndiswrapper from source, but not necessarily. I'd try an alternate Windows driver first.

You might also want to try switching the settings on your router--for for instance, try WPA1 instead of WPA2, or use AES encryption instead of TKIP. This may make a difference too.

Also, you may want to give this thread a try for your card. It will install a closed-source native driver from Broadcom. Not all chipsets are supported but I searched that thread and several people seem to have had success with your chipset.
    Many thanks for the reply.

None of the ndiswrapper related suggestion worked. I had already tested all windows driver I could find around, and a new test (including the compilation of the latest ndiswrapper (1.53) didn't help.

I could not actually test the wl driver under the lates kernel (as per suggestions) because I didn't find the linux-headers for kernel 2.6.24-21. maybe I'll try again later.

For the moment I'm covered at home because I've my own router and I can set it up with WEP, and at work where I have wire access. The problem is when travelling...

cheers,
    l.f.

Beans
    Distro

Many thanks for the reply.

None of the ndiswrapper related suggestion worked. I had already tested all windows driver I could find around, and a new test (including the compilation of the latest ndiswrapper (1.53) didn't help.

I could not actually test the wl driver under the lates kernel (as per suggestions) because I didn't find the linux-headers for kernel 2.6.24-21. maybe I'll try again later.

For the moment I'm covered at home because I've my own router and I can set it up with WEP, and at work where I have wire access. The problem is when travelling...

cheers,
    l.f.
    Sorry that none of the suggestions helped. I'm really not sure what else to try. The only other thing I would suggest is to use wicd instead of Network Manager, but you said you've already done that. You could try negotiating the connect manually from the command-line, but that's not fun and I doubt you want to spend ten minutes writing a configuration file for every new network you meet while traveling.

Also, you should be able to install the 'wl' driver if you enable the hardy-proposed repository. Are you sure that it was enabled in System>Administration>Software Sources, and that your sources list was updated afterwards (run 'sudo apt-get update' to update the list)? You need that repository enabled in order to install linux-headers for that kernel.

Page 6 of 121 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast