Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Comprehensive ndiswrapper troubleshooting guide

current madwifi directory

don@don-laptop:~/madwifi$ ls -l
    total 4340
    drwxr-xr-x 13 don don 4096 2009-05-28 17:40 madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6-r4031-20090529
    -rw-r--r-- 1 don don 4424470 2009-05-28 17:40 madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6-r4031-20090529.tar.gz
    don@don-laptop:~/madwifi$
    // Don
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Toshiba P755-S5390 / Core I7 / 8 gigs

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Hi Pytheas - First my humble apologies!!!!! AFter my last reply to you, I realized what the problem was, and had to change directories, because the extraction process created a subdirectory under madwifi. Once I realized that, I ran the rest of your command sequencek, and all worked properly. My system now admits that the drivers are present and loaded. I still have not been able to connect to my router, but that may very wel be another case of cerebral rectalitis. I am probably going to have to diaable my wpa2 encryption and start at the bare bones level to see if I can get something going. meanwhile. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. I've been trying to get this running for two years now, off and on, and this is the closest I've ever come.

Again, my apologies for all the grief, and when I know a bit more, I'll psst here with the results.

Again THANK YOU!
    // Don

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Smile Re: Comprehensive ndiswrapper troubleshooting guide

Hi Pytheas,

Well, a bit of trouble (probably mine) getting the wpa2 encryption to work, but the system finaally grabbed it and ran with it. The wireless has come up reliably after several reboots. I do have to admit that the system tools are a bit confusing, since they keep showing the IPV6 interfaces, but it doesn't seem to interfere with the automatic logon, so I won't worry about it.

If you look at when I first logged onto this site, you will know how long I've been trying to get this working. And you did it, and I can't tell you how grateful I am for your excellent support.

I pointed a friend to our thread, since he also runs Ubuntu, and he said that after seeing how wonderfully I was treated, he decided to sign up to the Ubuntu Forums as well. Said he didn't need help at the moement, but he sure did know where to find it if he ever needed it. (Both of us are IBM programmers, except I retired 10 years ago. But my specialty was BIOS whereas his was AIX. You probably won't get as much "business" from him!)

Again my most hearfelt thanks. Best regards, Don
    // Don

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Don: I'm really glad to hear it's finally working, and thanks for the kind feedback.

The one thing you should keep in mind is that whenever you update your kernel using Ubuntu updates, you will need to recompile the driver against the updated kernel by running these commands:
    Code:
    wget http://snapshots.madwifi-project.org/madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6/madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6-r4031-20090529.tar.gz
    tar -xzvf madwifi*
    cd madwifi*
    make
    sudo make install
    Kernel updates are pushed out about once a month. You'll know when a new kernel has been installed because the update manager will tell you to reboot for changes to take effect (updating your kernel is pretty much the only reason update manager would tell you to reboot).

Hopefully in the near future this issue will be straightened out and your wireless will "just work," without any special intervention.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Hi Again Pytheas22,
    Perhaps there is something I've forgotten, however in reference to your "rebuild" commands, I did have to add one command ahead of the "tar" command, and that is to change to the subdirectory created by the extract process under the madwifi directory. Now I know better, but should the "madwifi*" have handled that, or am I missing something here?

But thanks for the advice about changing the kernel and the recompile. Not sure I would have known to do that. Too long in the OS/2 and Windoze world I guess. But again, my heartfelt thanks for getting me going.

Best Regards, Don
    // Don

Beans
    Distro

Manyette: I looked over the commands I wrote again and I don't see where you would have to add in an extra 'cd', although I could definitely be missing something. The 'cd madwifi*' bit should indeed match any directory whose name starts with 'madwifi' (if there's more than one such directory, I believe it will take the one with the shortest name). But it's possible that your version of 'cd' behaves differently for some reason (I'm using Ubuntu 9.04, and you're on 8.10 as I recall), or that something else happened to throw things off.

The reponsible thing to do in these situations, of course, is not to use wildcard characters so that confusion like this can be avoided. But they save a lot of typing for lazy people like me (and are useful when file names are not always the same, which happens, for example, when you download a file and the server appends the date to the file name)...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Well, just FYI, in my case, the madwifi directory had a subdirectory which was mamed with virtually the entire name of the extracted file.It looked like this /don/madwifi//home/don/madwifi/madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6-r4031-20090529 and I had to switch to that directory before the tar command found anything to work with. If it picked the "shortest" directrory, then it would have been madwifi, and therefore failed. Live and learn, I guess. Anyway, thanks again. (Read your GMail blog, and couldn't agree more!)

Don
    // Don

Beans

Well, I tried, I realy did. I read everything I could, I followed your procedures and got pretty far, but like they say 'close only counts in horseshoes and handgernades'! I have ndiswrapper working and I can set my settings, but to no avail. I have worked on this for 7 days now. I even tried asking for help in this forum. Aslo, to no avail. So, this is it! I just wanted you to know that the 'community' does not work for everybody. I was a UNIX system programer for AT&T before I retired. I do not know everything, but I can usually find a way. This time it did not work. I wanted to get back into a UNIX type enviorment, but this obviously is not for me. When I decide to do this again it will be through a commercial product with hopefully a lot better support. Goodbye.

Beans
    Distro

chodrick: I'm sorry you've had a bad experience. Community support obviously isn't perfect, but neither is corporate-sponsored tech support; both approaches have their pros and cons (and you can get commercial support for Ubuntu if you want to pay, by the way).

I'd be happy to try to help you solve your problem if you want to give it another chance. I read over the other post you made that no one responded to, and suspect you'd have better luck connecting if you used wicd instead of NetworkManager. You might also try experimenting with different types of security on your router to see if that helps--switching from WPA1 to WPA2, for example (or vice-versa), sometimes makes a difference in these situations where you can see networks but can't connect.

There are other things that might solve the problem, too, but I'll leave it at this for now.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Hello Pytheas22,
    Aside from my most grateful thanks, a bit of good news for you and others using the Atheros chipset. 9.04 detects and installs the Atheros driver right from the start! As you said, it should "just work", and it does. Sign me a "happy camper"!
    Don
    // Don

Page 50 of 121 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast