Page 22 of 121 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast

Thread: Comprehensive ndiswrapper troubleshooting guide

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Comprehensive ndiswrapper troubleshooting guide

mahasmb: in a worst case, you could probably write a boot script to reinstall ndiswrapper automatically each time you boot your computer, which would effectively work around your problem, although it's not the cleanest of solutions.

But I'm wondering if the problem is something simpler, like perhaps that the ndiswrapper module is just not auto-loading. If that's the case, the solution is easy.

After a reboot, please post the output of the following commands (in this order) so I can get a better idea of what's going on:

Code:
    ndiswrapper -l
    lsmod | grep ndis
    lshw -C Network
    sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
    dmesg | grep -e ndis -e wlan
    etherealethel: the increased range could be the cause of the crashes, but there are other possibilities as well. The next time you lose the connection, please open up a terminal and run these commands:
    Code:
    dmesg | tail -50
    lshw -C Network
    lsusb
    sudo iwlist scan
    iwconfig
    ifconfig
    I used to have some issues with my DWL-G122 dropping due to driver bugs. I thought they'd been fixed, but I haven't used the device since Ubuntu 7.10 so I don't really know. If it is the driver, there are other drivers that you could use and probably get better performance (that's what I did).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pytheas22 View Post
    First, remove your installation of ndiswrapper:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge ndiswrapper*
    Next, download the latest stable release of the ndiswrapper source code from the ndiswrapper site and save it to your desktop.

Finally, extract the source and compile it:
    Code:
    cd ~/Desktop
    sudo -s
    apt-get install build-essential
    tar -xzvf ndiswrapper*
    cd ndiswrapper*
    make
    make install

I am thinking the first code line should not be executed any time after sudo -s? So I had been messing with this for bout 5 hours. Got a little sloppy trying to make things work. The issue was no internet access and I had to patch because of 8.10 and I didn't really anything. So I did sudo -s ... sometime started back over and then did" sudo apt-get remove --purge ndiswrapper*" which removed ~alot of stuff~ for someone that didnt yet have a working ndiswrapper installed. Now I eventually did get it installed and when I rebooted all that was left for ubuntu was an option for a memtest. Is this what did it?

Beans
    Distro

jrounds: the 'sudo apt-get remove --purge ndiswrapper*' command should only have removed packages related to ndiswrapper (there should be no more than five or six of them), even if you ran it after typing 'sudo -s'. If you typed it differently, it could possibly have matched and removed more packages and caused serious problems for your system, however. Are you sure you typed it exactly as given here?

Is your system still broken? If all you have is a memory test option at boot, your only option would be to reinstall from scratch, unfortunately. But I'd be happy to help you get ndiswrapper working on a new installation.

I'll also edit the 'sudo apt-get remove...' command to eliminate the possibility of matching more packages than intended.

Beans

jrounds: the 'sudo apt-get remove --purge ndiswrapper*' command should only have removed packages related to ndiswrapper (there should be no more than five or six of them), even if you ran it after typing 'sudo -s'. If you typed it differently, it could possibly have matched and removed more packages and caused serious problems for your system, however. Are you sure you typed it exactly as given here?

Is your system still broken? If all you have is a memory test option at boot, your only option would be to reinstall from scratch, unfortunately. But I'd be happy to help you get ndiswrapper working on a new installation.

I'll also edit the 'sudo apt-get remove...' command to eliminate the possibility of matching more packages than intended.

Thanks for all this effort, but I ended up fixing this with the native driver patch instructions going around on these threads.

Beans

I would like to ask for your help with a little problem. I have installed ndiswrapper and a windows driver for my Atheros 5007eg and it works fine but it takes a lot of time to connect to the router. I have to try again until I can see the two dots becames green. There is something I can do?

Beans
    Distro

josefcarel: how long does it take? If you're far from the router, it might take up to a minute. Does it always fail on the first attempt to connect but succeed on the second?

You might have better luck if you used wicd instead of Network Manager to connect.

There are also native Linux drivers that would work for your card and probably provide better performance than ndiswrapper. These can be installed easily using the script in this thread. You may need to remove the ath_pci module from your /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist to get these drivers to work. If you need more help, let me know.

Beans

josefcarel: how long does it take? If you're far from the router, it might take up to a minute. Does it always fail on the first attempt to connect but succeed on the second?

You might have better luck if you used wicd instead of Network Manager to connect.

There are also native Linux drivers that would work for your card and probably provide better performance than ndiswrapper. These can be installed easily using the script in this thread. You may need to remove the ath_pci module from your /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist to get these drivers to work. If you need more help, let me know.
    Well, its takes more o less a minute so I will leave it just like now. It seems to me very difficult to install and configure wicd. Maybe better will be to try with madwifi. Thanks a lot any way

Beans

I back to you again. I have been trying WICD but it is worst than Network Manager so I back to this one. Now I would like to try Madwifi but the way shown in that script use Madwifi.sh instead what your proposal in page 5 here:

echo 'blacklist ndiswrapper' | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    echo 'ath_pci' | sudo tee -a /etc/modules
    sudo apt-get remove --purge ndiswrapper*
    sudo apt-get install build-essential
    wget http://snapshots.madwifi.org/madwifi...0080801.tar.gz
    tar -zxvf madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6-r3835-20080801.tar.gz
    cd madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6-r3835-20080801
    sudo make
    sudo make install

Whats the diference and what is better to do? Thanks a lot

Beans
    Distro

Whats the diference and what is better to do? Thanks a lot
    Use the madwifi.sh script. The steps that I gave on page 5 won't work anymore because the links are broken. The madwifi.sh script should work and will be easier. If you have trouble let me know. If the script doesn't solve the problem for you, please post the output of these commands:
    Code:
    lsmod | grep ath
    dmesg | grep ath
    lshw -C Network
    cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist | grep ath
    sudo iwlist scan

Beans

Use the madwifi.sh script. The steps that I gave on page 5 won't work anymore because the links are broken. The madwifi.sh script should work and will be easier. If you have trouble let me know. If the script doesn't solve the problem for you, please post the output of these commands:
    Code:
    lsmod | grep ath
    dmesg | grep ath
    lshw -C Network
    cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist | grep ath
    sudo iwlist scan
    in the meantime I have tryied the proposal in page 5 with this broken link and of course without results. I need now to remove something?

Page 22 of 121 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast