Page 17 of 121 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast

Thread: Comprehensive ndiswrapper troubleshooting guide

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Comprehensive ndiswrapper troubleshooting guide worked

Hi

I have an Asus WL-138G wireless card (the rev-1.0 Marvell chipset) that now works on my computer beacause of your great guide, so thank you!

But i have another problem. I'm trying to connect to a network that has MAC filtering and WEP (a 13 char password). I can connect to this network on Windows (i have a dual boot) every time but i can't connect on Ubuntu. I can connect to my neighbor's unsecured wireless network on Ubuntu on the other hand (that's how i know ndiswrapper works).

I've tried connecting with NM applet and configuring it manually (System->Administration->Network) but it just won't work.

When I connect with the NM applet it asks me for the passphrase and if I enter it it just waits for a while and then asks again. I've also tried upper and lower case letters for the passphrase since linux is case sensitive.

Has anyone had a similar problem?
    Is it possible that Ndiswrapper module changes the MAC?

Sorry for my english but I'm not a native speaker.
    Hope I'm not too much trouble.
    Kooshy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Comprehensive ndiswrapper troubleshooting guide

kooshy: ndiswrapper should not be changing your MAC address. If you want to verify your MAC address, run the command 'ifconfig wlan0'. It will tell you the MAC assigned to the interface on the first line:
    Code:
    wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:19:21:85:0d:87  
              inet addr:192.168.1.47  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
              inet6 addr: fe80::219:21ff:fe85:d87/64 Scope:Link
              UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
              RX packets:698425 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:363146 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
              RX bytes:562341562 (562.3 MB)  TX bytes:51003073 (51.0 MB)
              Interrupt:20 Base address:0xe800
    I suspect that the problem you're having isn't related to the MAC filtering, but to the fact that the network uses WEP. Are you positive that the Windows driver that you loaded into ndiswrapper supports WEP? Did you check the ndiswrapper database to see if other users have reported being able to use WEP with your card? If you're not sure, please let me know the PCI ID of your wireless card (which you can get using the 'lspci -nn' or 'lsusb' commands) and I'll try to look it up.

Also, make sure that when you enter the WEP key in Network Manager, you choose the right kind of security. There should be two options for WEP: '128-bit Passphrase' and '40/128-bit Key' (see attached screenshot). In some versions of Ubuntu, WEP passphrase is selected by default, but few people use that. You probably use a 40 or 128-bit HEX key. Try with that option.

If you still can't figure it out, if you post the output of the command 'sudo iwlist scan' and tell me the name of your network, I can give you instructions for trying to connect to it manually from the command line, which can be useful for troubleshooting.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Here's the output from lspci:
    01:07.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Marvell W8300 802.11 Adapter [11ab:1fa6] (rev 07)
    and the sudo iwlist scan output:
    wlan0 Scan completed :
    Cell 01 - Address: 00:1D:0F0:B8:0E
    ESSID:"Zulova_vas"
    Protocol:IEEE 802.11g
    Mode:Managed
    Frequency:2.437 GHz (Channel 6)
    Quality:56/100 Signal level:-60 dBm Noise level:-96 dBm
    Encryption keyn
    Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s
    12 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s; 9 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s
    48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
    Extra:bcn_int=100
    Extra:atim=0
    I have 4 options where it comes to WEP and the NM applet (i think it's version 0.6 or 6.6 ... something like that):
    - WEP 128-bit passphrase
    - WEP 64/128-bit Hex
    - WEP 64/128-bit ASCII
    - LEAP

And my password has 13 characters and has non A-F letters in it so I guess it can't be HEX. I can't even write the whole password in the field if i choose the second option.

Beans
    Distro

kooshy: I'm betting that since you don't have a standard WEP password, Network Manager is having issues using it. You should be using the 'WEP 128-bit passphrase', but it's possibly that even with that, NM doesn't know how to negotiate correctly.

You might have better luck using wicd instead of NM. You can install wicd by typing these commands (provided you are online via ethernet first):
    Code:
    echo 'deb http://apt.wicd.net intrepid extras' | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list
    wget -q http://apt.wicd.net/wicd.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add -
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install wicd
    Then launch wicd from the Applications>Internet menu, and try connecting with it (if it doesn't work the first time, try playing around with the different options). Do you have any better luck?

If wicd doesn't help, we can try doing it manually from the command line...

You could also just change your WEP key to HEX or use WPA instead, which would probably solve the problem (you know that anyone can crack WEP in five minutes these days, right?).

Beans

Back in September you solved my wireless problem by pointing me to a driver for 168C:001C which miraculously solved my problem.

I developed a new problem and ended up reloading Ubuntu. When I tried to install this driver again the source seems to be gone.

It was an AR5211 driver. Do you have any idea how to get it?

A million thanks again.

Joe

Beans
    Distro

joeradtke: the link to the original driver still works for me right now, but the server seems very flaky (was going to take 28 minutes to download a < 3 megabyte file in Firefox, although using wget it only took a few seconds, strangely) so I can understand if you were having problems with it.

I managed to download the file and copied it onto my server, however. You can download it here if the original link is still not working for you. Let me know if this solves the problem.

Beans

Thanks it worked as far as getting the driver.

Didn't make the wireless work though. I think it is a hardware problem.

I went through your guide and everything is ok except:

joeradtke@joeradtke-laptop:~$ dmesg | grep -e ndis -e wlan
    [ 36.352242] ndiswrapper version 1.52 loaded (smp=yes, preempt=no)
    [ 36.646244] ndiswrapper: driver net5211 (,05/02/2007,5.3.0.45) loaded
    [ 36.646598] ndiswrapper (ZwClose:2226): closing handle 0xdf9fa328 not implemented
    [ 37.135363] ndiswrapper: using IRQ 18
    [ 37.340345] wlan0: ethernet device 00:1b:9e:cb:fc:35 using serialized NDIS driver: net5211, version: 0x50003, NDIS version: 0x501, vendor: 'NDIS Network Adapter', 168C:001C.5.conf
    [ 37.345519] wlan0: encryption modes supported: WEP; TKIP with WPA, WPA2, WPA2PSK; AES/CCMP with WPA, WPA2, WPA2PSK
    [ 37.345628] usbcore: registered new interface driver ndiswrapper
    [ 49.220214] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready
    [ 325.216420] ndiswrapper (mp_reset:62): wlan0 is being reset
    joeradtke@joeradtke-laptop:~$

It isn't finding a link and another computer here is finding 7 links.

The wireless switch is turned on but I suspect the device quit working.

Thanks anyway.

Joe

Beans
    Distro

Joe: the 'wlan0: link is not ready' message is normal. Don't worry about that.

The line that says 'wlan0 is being reset', however, seems strange. I'm wondering what's going on with that.

Are you using the same version of Ubuntu with which this card originally worked, or did you upgrade (e.g. from 8.04 to 8.10)?

Can you see networks if you type at the command line:
    Code:
    sudo iwlist scan
    You can also try googling for that line about 'wlan0 is being reset'; you may find information on why it complains about that and how to fix it.

Unfortunately I'm headed to bed now, but if you don't make any progress on this, let me know. Even if ndiswrapper won't work with your card, it has an Atheros chipset and should be possible to get working using native drivers...so don't give up on this!

Beans

iwlist scan
    lo Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

wlan0 No scan results

It started working intermittently about two days ago and then stopped altogether. I was using 7.10. I decided to reload the system and used 8.04. It acts exactly the same as before I reloaded it (after it quit working).

I haven't given up yet. I will do the google thing and see if I find anything.

Thanks again,

Joe

Beans
    Distro

Joe: before googling more, you may want to try running the script available from this thread. It will download and install a native Linux driver (madwifi) for your card, which should make it work without ndiswrapper. As I recall, this works for 168c:001c cards in Hardy.

You will need to unblacklist the ath_pci driver in order for the madwifi driver to work. To do so, open up the blacklist by typing:
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    and erase any lines that say blacklist ath_pci, then save the file. Then install the madwifi driver using the script and reboot.

If things still don't work after that, please tell me the output of:
    Code:
    lshw -C Network
    sudo iwlist scan
    modinfo ath_pci

Page 17 of 121 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast