Page 104 of 121 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 1210

Thread: Comprehensive ndiswrapper troubleshooting guide

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Comprehensive ndiswrapper troubleshooting guide

Just looked around ndiswrapper's website. I'm not sure what this page is explaining but could this solve my problem?
    http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik...itle=WPA_HowTo
    That page only explains how to manage a WPA connection with ndiswrapper from the command line. Normally NetworkManager/wicd/whichever graphical frontend you use takes care of those steps for you automatically, in the background. Trying to do WPA from the command line can sometimes be helpful for troubleshooting issues, but in your case I think the ultimate solution is going to come down to finding the right Windows wireless driver to use in conjunction with ndiswrapper.

Have you tried using the XP driver from Dell's website? That may possibly work better than the one I suggest you use.
    Does the fact that I'm using an XP driver affect why I can't connect to WPA/WPA2?
    No, normally this shouldn't be a problem. As long as the Windows driver supports WPA, it should support WPA with ndiswrapper as well. I think ndiswrapper just happens not to work particularly well with the Windows driver you have loaded into it now.

By the way, as far as I know (which is limited), there is no rule that Vista drivers are categorically incompatible with ndiswrapper. Some may not work, and in general drivers for older versions of Windows tend to work better since they're simpler, but that doesn't mean that no Vista driver will work for ndiswrapper--so if you happen to have any Vista drivers that you haven't yet tested, they might be worth investigating, to see if they'd work better than the driver you currently have loaded into ndiswrapper.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pytheas22 View Post
    Have you tried using the XP driver from Dell's website? That may possibly work better than the one I suggest you use.
    Every driver I've tried that claims to be compatible loads up the
    "bcmwl5.inf" or "bcmwl6.inf".

From what I've learned, the bcmwl6 is the Vista driver for the wireless card and bcmwl5 is the XP driver.

All the drivers that you've showed me and the drivers that I've found contain one of those .inf files that load into ndiswrapper. The bcmwl6 doesn't not work at all. While bcmwl5
    will connect to everything except WPA/WPA2. This seems to be a common problem after googling it.

So I think my wireless card is a lost cause.

Thank you for all your help!!! I really appreciate it. I've tried for months to get help and you were the only one who's given me a reply.

I do have another problem though...I used the Synaptics Package Manager to completely remove "wpasupplicant" and "ndiswrapper". Something went wrong; now I can't connect using wireless and ethernet.

I get no response when plugging my laptop into the router. Even the lights where the ethernet cord are don't show up.

Beans
    Distro

dngen: keep in mind that just because the .inf files in the Windows drivers have the same names, they're not necessarily the same files. They could still be different versions.

That said, if you've tried all the Windows drivers that you could find and none works as desired, there may not be a good solution.

As for your inability to connected via ethernet, are you sure NetworkManager is running and that when you click on the icon, the ethernet is enabled? If so but it still doesn't work, what happens if you type:
    Code:
    sudo dhclient eth0
    That command should get you connected via the wire manually, assuming your router provides dynamic addresses via dhcp, which most do.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pytheas22 View Post
    dngen: keep in mind that just because the .inf files in the Windows drivers have the same names, they're not necessarily the same files. They could still be different versions.

That said, if you've tried all the Windows drivers that you could find and none works as desired, there may not be a good solution.

As for your inability to connected via ethernet, are you sure NetworkManager is running and that when you click on the icon, the ethernet is enabled? If so but it still doesn't work, what happens if you type:
    Code:
    sudo dhclient eth0
    That command should get you connected via the wire manually, assuming your router provides dynamic addresses via dhcp, which most do.
    I should have listened to you when you suggested trying to use the Broadcom STA driver with 11.04!!!

I reinstalled Ubuntu instead of troubleshooting why my Internet didn't work anymore (Ubuntu only takes up a small partition on my laptop so I didn't really lose anything by doing this).

I figured I'd test out the STA driver and it's giving me really good speeds comparable to when I run Windows 7. Thank you so much for all the help you've given me!

Beans
    Distro

dngen: that's great to hear. I'm delighted you finally found a solution!

Beans

sudo insmod /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rt3070sta.ko

Code :
    insmod: error inserting '/lib/modules/2.6.35-28-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rt3070sta.ko': -1 Unknown symbol in module

Whats the matter???
    Help me...

Beans
    Distro

kendoazzikra: please provide more information. What version of Ubuntu are you using? What is your kernel architecture? How did you install the rt3070 driver (I presume you must have installed it from source code; if so, which version of the source code did you use)?

It would also be helpful to know the output of:
    Code:
    cat /etc/issue
    uname -a
    lshw -C Network
    lsusb
    lspci -nn
    modinfo rt3070sta
    Last edited by pytheas22; May 16th, 2011 at 09:50 PM.

Beans

I faced a similar problem as encountered by dngen,

I had upgraded my ubuntu from 10.10 to 11.04 yesterday and found my wireless connection wouldnt work...
    for some reason, i had been using ndiswrapper since my first installation of Hardy heron and it has been working fine till the upgrade.

The Broadcom STA driver was also installed, but the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf file had the bcm43xx blacklisted ( only today i realised the differences between the native driver method and the ndiswrapper way! )

the method by installing firmware-b43-lpphy-installer somehow didnt work..(installed and removed ndiswrapper as well.....nothing worked..)

later on removed everything that was broadcom and installed the ndiswrapper..ndisgtk..reboot....

now, the network manager icon still couldnt show the wireless networks, but on running "iwlist scanning" , the networks were visible..
    i used
    "iwlist wlan0 essid <the name> key <the password>" and could connect to the network.

i couldnt find a way to do this automatically after a re-boot.....

I installed wicd from the software manager as specified in a post by pytheas22 and it connected flawlessly!!..

thanks a ton!!!

just a small problem remains....the tray notification icon for wicd wouldnt show up...i have "wicd-client" in the startup applications, and also "exec wicd" in /etc/init/networking.conf any help in this matter would be appreciated

Beans

Unhappy Re: Comprehensive ndiswrapper troubleshooting guide

I hav been using ubuntu 10.04 LTS for the last 5 months... used tata photon plus for networking ...everything went fine when couple of days ago, after doing normal updates as listed by the update manager, sound went off.. to solve this, i had to remove and reinstall certain packages as listed in http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...+documentation, i had to restart, after restarting, the sound problem was gone but the network manager icon went off, the modem was not getting power from the computer though the LAN wire was connected. To add to dismay, the mobile broadband connections that i had added to the network manager were gone. I tried adding the tata photon plus (huwaein) again but could not be added, reinstalled usb-mode switch data and related packages, but still the computer doesnot detect the photon as usb device...

I have broadband dsl connection and tata photon plus too but cant use any of them.

PLZ HELP.

Beans
    Distro

rganesh27: glad to hear wicd did the trick for you As for starting the icon automatically, does it work if you add wicd-gtk to your startup applications? If not, are you using traditional GNOME, or the new Unity interface? I am not sure whether the wicd tray icon will work well in Unity.

tanaya chaudhuri: did the NetworkManager icon itself disappear? Otherwise, please explain what you mean when you say it "went off." If it is not visible, does it appear if you open a terminal and type "nm-applet"? If this doesn't help, what is the output of:
    Code:
    ps -e | grep -e nm -e Net

Page 104 of 121 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114 ... LastLast